Support in other languages: 
SCSI Port
cntse2008

Re: U330 bios doesn't enable virtualization techonology mode?

Been trying to get lzma utils to compile for a while.  The autoconf (configure file?) will not create the makefiles.  The error it's giving me, i'm guessing, is that there is no C++ compiler that it can find to use.  I've compiled and installed the xz utils from the same site as the lzma utils successfully, so this leads me to believe there's something wrong with the configure files or something.  I've got essentially no coding expertise so if anyone is patient enough to help, thanks in advance.  I've tried it on Ubuntu 9.04 running natively and in a VM, with no difference.

Punch Card
neuro_pl

Have you tried installing the C++ compiler? G++ from the GCC should do.

http://ns2.canonical.com/jaunty/g++

http://packages.ubunut.com/jaunty/gcc

Personally, I don't have Ubuntu but that should do. As far as I know, liblzma doesn't depend on anything else than glibc.

You can use aptitude to install the package from the command line (or use the Synaptics GUI):

sudo aptitude install g++ gcc

Paper Tape
cnassouri

Hi Everyone,

I have the Lenovo Y650 and am currently using it for a lot of important projects in Grad School.  I installed Windows 7 and a lot of stuff doesnt work well with it..and unfortunately can't emulate XP because of VT disabled in this piece of crap.  Read everyones posts but am hesitant to perform surgery on this thing in the middle of the semester...

Has anyone had success turning it on in the Y650?   If so, could you please send me a procedure? I would love to dive in and try it myself but can't afford a failure right now.. and am being forced to dual boot 7 and XP :smileymad:

Crystal-

SCSI Port
cntse2008

So...I didn't have a compiler installed, go figure.

I've hit another wall now,

when running the main.py file i receive this as output:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./main.py", line 35, in <module>
    from lzma import get_lzma_chunks
  File "/home/jaunty/temp/vt/Tweak it/lzma.py", line 86, in <module>
    lzma = CDLL(library_path)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/ctypes/__init__.py", line 348, in __init__
    self._handle = _dlopen(self._name, mode)
OSError: liblzmadec.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Blue Screen Again
poek

Have you read all posts on this thread? On page 6 is solution on this issue.

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Y-and-U-series-Laptops/U330-bios-doesn-t-enable-virtualization-t...

You have to make symlink becouse by default installs into prefix /usr/local instead of /usr.

Punch Card
adhemar

I want to enable VT  on my Y730 and I'd like to get a hold of o0TMS0o's utilities and instructions.

They were on  http://rapidshare.com/files/289013507/Procedure_enable_VT.zip.html but cannot be downloaded anymore.

Does anybody know where I could find them?

Paper Tape
cnassouri

Yup I've read all the posts in the forum...but like I said... I'm not in the mood to experiment in the middle of the semester with flashing a bios and no one has seemed to have a solid procedure posted.

Paper Tape
cnassouri

Actually let me clarify what I'm looking for.  I wouldn't have asked for a procedure without reading the previous posts for one.

-Where is the *.bin boot file that the computer uses?  BIOS is separate from windows, so is it still kept in the windows folder?

-What is the name of that file?

-What will the file look like when it is opened in a hex editor? How did you figure out what bits need to be changed?  

-After and how you compiled it, what is the proper flashing procedure?

I found a file in my one key recovery called bootfix.bin but when I open it its all random characters and a line that says "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD"

Thank you,

Crystal

Serial Port
jli1972

Yeah, set All to 1 enabled my U330 to support virtualization (64bit). Now I can install 64bit guest OS on my VirtualBox. Awesome! Thanks everyone's help here!

x220 i7-2620M (4286-CTO)
Paper Tape
conical

You have got to be kidding me!!!!!

[ Edited ]

I went through all the steps to enable VT in the bios only to find out the processor my u330 has (P7350) doesn't even support VT!

http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=36750

Mother freaker. I swear I looked that up before I bought the laptop.  Makes sense now why Lenovo won't enable the vt option for the U330, NOT ALL U330's SUPPORT IT.   You could have just said so Lenovo.