Support in other languages: 
Blue Screen Again
t1b3r1u5
Accepted Solution

U400 Touchpad Updates

[ Edited ]

Note: Please go down to dngnuyen's reply for a link to the latest driver. The one currently on Lenovo's driver site for the U400 is outdated. I have not marked this as a solution yet, as I have yet to test it thoroughly and still believe that it can improve. 

This is more of an inquiry than a troubleshooting issue.

I must say that the touchpad performs terribly even with the latest update, which is a real shame because it's a beautiful machine otherwise. I have installed the latest drivers and tweaked with the settings as much as possible, still it underperforms.

Issues:

-The palm sensitivity is very pronounced. If you reduce the touch sensitivity to help this problem then you create a new one through a lack of sensitivity when using it to navigate the cursor.

-Gestures are inconsistent. Scrolling and zooming is painful. I'm not trying to compare these to Macbook gestures but they are very hard to use properly and consistency.

As for the other gimmicks, three and four finger swipes, these are not a big deal, however, it would be nice to be able to customize this huge touchpad with some more features.

So what I would really like to know is if owners of this model can expect further updates/improvements to this hardware?

If not I will be returning it since I paid a slight premium for these features and I can get more out of smaller and more consistent trackpads.

Fanfold Paper
comongoose

Re: U400 Touchpad Updates

I hope so... This cypress touchpad is garbage.  I heard that some trackpads are manufactued from synaptics for the u400.  Is there a way to get Lenovo to replace that into the computer?

Paper Tape
gatep5

I too am very disappointed with the performance of the cypress touchpad.  I tried downloading the updated driver, but the installer still had the 2.3.6.14 drive instead of the 2.3.6.28 driver.  Can you confirm that you have the 2.3.6.28 driver?  I am just hoping that they have actually just not released it yet and when they do it will have the necessary update to use some of the promised features of the touchpad.  Thanks!

Fanfold Paper
comongoose

lol....i re downloaded that driver like 3 times because I thought I was going to get the .28 version but apparently its just a trick.

Paper Tape
dnguyen

Here is the driver you guys are looking for. Took me forever to find it. Cypress Touchpad sucks! Enjoy!

http://206.17.82.2/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS020762

Fanfold Paper
comongoose

dnguyen...you are the man.  I dont know how we missed that.  This new driver works a lot better.  I think the main difference is you can turn the sensitivity down and still make contact without having to jam your finger down on the pad.  This in turn allows for way better palm sensitivity avoidance.  Now for to them to allow a setting for two finger scrolling speed and I will be 100% happy.  Also does anyone know of any apps that allow for two finger right clicking like what you can do for a Mac?  I know there is the program two-finger-scroll but that is only for synaptic trackpads

Blue Screen Again
t1b3r1u5

Thank you dnguyen!

It's too early to tell whether this will improve the functionality drastically but so far it seems that palm rejection is much better and that gestures are snappier as well.

Lenovo seriously needs to update their driver page for this product, as I am sure plenty of annoyed customers are looking for this more recent driver.

Lastly, I would really like to see Cypress build on this driver by adding some more options (use MacBook as inspiration maybe?) and further refining the current ones. 

Paper Tape
dnguyen

Yea. I downloadecd the drivers on the lenovo page three times and was wondering if I was just not installing it properly. The new driver is "better." But the synaptics drivers are still much better. I'm starting to realize why people returned the u400 in droves and why there were so many on the leneovo outlet site. The specs were awesome for what I paid for it, but I can see how the touchpad can be a real deal breaker. They really need to improve the drivers. This notebook could have been a slam dunk, but just ended up being "ok". 

Community Moderator
Zehnsteine

Fanfold Paper
comongoose

Zedsteine that is the site to the outdated driver....dnguyen's link has the real link to new touchpad drivers...ya they need to step their game up though....its unbelievable they can release a product so half assed. the only reason i am keeping mine is becuase i paid 560 shipped for a refurbed i5 version and i really wanted a 14" unibody aluminum laptop. This is my third ideapad. my first was a y570 followed by a y470 . both had problems and were flimsy as **bleep**. I see a pattern here though with their quality. You get what you pay for.