Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
gnobes

Re: U Touchpad Updates

[ Edited ]

I installed the 15z drivers. Maybe the 14z drivers are different?

I will install these and report back.

Edit: So I just installed the 14z synaptics drivers. They didn't have any real configuration settings for this touchpad.

I reinstalled the 15z drivers and cranked up the palm settings to heavy. It seems to help... I also completely disabled all of these ridiculous 2 & 3 finger motions. I just want a normal touchpad. It doesn't even have to do side scrolling (I use the arrow keys for this most of the time when on a laptop). One issue with not using the Lenovo drivers is that F6 no longer seems to disable the touchpad. This is not an issue for me because I have no reason to ever want to disable it other than to maybe wipe it off. Another thing I was thinking of is how when typing the cursor is never hidden (Dell .26 driver, might do this on lenovo's driver though?). It would appear that my previous laptop had disabled the touchpad all together when typing or just hidden the cursor. I am curious why this one does not.

It seems some of my issues may be related to the location of the up arrow key on the keyboard. When I am typing, my pinky likes to hit that key which cause the cursor to jump up one line. This makes sense and I can train myself to not hit that. I accept this is my problem. However, the other issues I have with the touchpad are not acceptable.

The mouse cursor still seems to have a mind of its own. It's almost as if they have some type of acceleration on it and its messing up. One moment it will be moving nice and slow across the screen, then just randomly it speeds up. I know that they do this on Mac's. I hate it. I know how fast I am moving my finger and I don't want it to speed up!

Another is that the touch pad just randomly doesn't pickup my finger. I can be typing, then go to move the mouse and it just does nothing. I have to completely take my finger off the touch pad and place it back down again in order to get it to function.

Had I bought this laptop from somewhere that allows returns (newegg does not and I will never purchase a laptop from them again because of this) it would already be in the box on its way back. I expect these things to work properly out of the box. I love to tinker, but this is just unacceptable. I thought this laptop would be a great replacement for my Samsung N310 netbook. I was right in most cases but just frustrating (and embarrassing to you Lenovo) that a $300 netbook has a better touch pad.

It seems like the guys who bought these with i7's have synaptics touchpads. How difficult is it to replace the touch pad on this with the synaptics unit? If I can find the part numbers and buy it without breaking the bank I would be willing to try this.

Again, I don't want any of these advanced multi-touch features to work. I want the mouse to be smooth. Is that really too much to ask for?

Blue Screen Again
t1b3r1u5

Re: U Touchpad Updates

gnobes, your fustration is understood, however, I don't find the touchpad erratic. It just sucks at multitouch.

In any case, I will be returning this laptop since the touchpad is clearly slanted. Unless I get the same offer for a replacement U400 (I got a 5% discount since it was open box - never used), I think I will go for the ASUS U46SV-DH5 for a bit more (2 year/1 year accidental warranty included).

Had the touchpad been better, I think I would have kept it. Also, lack of SD port is very suprising to me but it's still a very nice design.

Blue Screen Again
t1b3r1u5

Re: U400 Touchpad Updates

I disagree that this issue has been solved. Lenovo needs to look into this a lot better.

Fanfold Paper
rajking84

this makes no sense atall.. the new dell xps 13 drivers are down to 2.3.6.25. works same as the dell xps15z driver but 4 finger gestures work. 4 finger to either right or left brings aero switch. 4 finger right or left and remove only one finger to switch. lol.. drivers r getting worse as they go up the version numbers . and still no updates from lenovo. its a shame lenovo customers have to rely on dell. 

Paper Tape
gatep5

I noticed that the Dell XPS 13 Cypress driver 2.3.6.33 was posted today to their site:  http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriverDetails/DriverFileFormats?DriverId=TP26N&FileId=2...

I am going to try installing this on the U400 and see if works any better (as the blog posts claim that it does).  I will report my findings.

Paper Tape
gatep5

Just wanted to confirm that the drivers from the dell site do work.  You may have to extract them from the executable using winzip or 7-zip.  The 2-finger scrolling is still sluggish to respond.  The side scrolling works quite well, though, and I had to turn down the sensitivity so that it would not scroll so fast.  The palm rejection seems to be working pretty good as well.  I have mine on the second stop.  I think that there are still some improvements to make, but this is a good start.

What's DOS?
rminb010204

[ Edited ]

Hey guys, just thought I'd add to the trackpad discussion.

I was having the same exact problems as all of you. Three and four finger gestures were fine, but, two finger scrolling was attrocious. XPS 13z 14z and 15z displayed the same problems.

I found a gem on Dell's website. 

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriverDetails/DriverFileFormats?DriverId=R313059

That driver works brilliantly, two finger scrolling feels great; four finger doesn't work, oh well.

Sorry if someone already posted this driver, checked through but I'm pretty sure I didn't see it. 

BTW: Make sure you remove all traces of your previous trackpad drivers, cypress installers tend to not remove all previous driver files and software, so manually remove.

Fanfold Paper
rkbess

This is great work guys these drivers you guys have found really help out! Not sure why the lenovo drivers suck so bad for this, hopefully Lenovo will provide us with a specific driver that works better sometime... Speaking of other drivers that suck... have any of you guys had any frustrations with the discreet graphics card? Anyone figured out a way to permanantly switch to it? I wish there was a bios setting, or atleast a setting in the catalyst control center.... anyway, if you have any ideas or input please post on my topic:

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Y-U-V-and-Z-series/u400-Switchable-Graphics/m-p/715013#M53150

Fanfold Paper
rkbess

[ Edited ]

Btw, I am also using the new Dell drivers that gatep5 posted and I thnk they work pretty great. I think the two finger scrolling is a HUGE improvement, and the plam detection is working really well for me! And my Four finger/three fingure gestures work pretty well also.

What's DOS?
knaolu

Yep it works a lot better than the lenovo driver. I recommend installing the Dell driver if you plan on using the touchpad. I actually sent my laptop for repair based on the horrible touchpad and they sent it back with the original driver installed saying it was fixed, go figure? This is the last time I will purchase anything from Lenovo.