Support in other languages: 
Punch Card
fzavit

Re: u450p Disassembly Instructions

Sorry to hear about your LCD screen - that's not something I've had a need to get into yet (fortunately) but I imagine it's just a matter of learning how to take it apart and replacing it.  I imagine there's better access to the LCD connections and assembly once the bezel is removed, etc. 

I never managed to find any kind of replacement out there for the BT module in the u450p - though there are suggestions that the module / connector cable from an S10 will work, this is not the case.  The problem is that while the module is the right one, the connecting cable soddered onto the thing is the wrong type.  I've even written some of the vendors on eBay about them and no one seems  to have it yet.  Seems that for the moment is to get it from Lenovo themselves. 

Paper Tape
U450p

Thanks for the response fzavit.  I went ahead and called Lenovo and they will be sending me a quote for the replacment. 

I was also pursuaded to purchase accidental warrenty for a year, it was $59.00.  They basically claimed that if anything was to happen to my laptop, wheather I were to drop it in a pool or throw it off a cliff and go collect the pieces, they would replace it free of charge. Might have been suckered in, but it sounded good to me.  Maybe my screen will crack again, or maybe I'll end up dropping it.

Anyway, thanks again for the help.  I'll update you guys on the cost and the time it takes for the LCD to get repalced.

Paper Tape
MarkieMark

Screen replacement on a U450P?

Hello, I am looking for a guide or pictures on how to replace a screen on a Ideapad U450P. I am very tech savvy and comfortable with this stuff, but Ive never replaced a laptop lcd before. Are there any pictures or guides for this type of thing? Are they all the same? Has anyone done it? I found a replacement screen online for $100. Better than the $350+ I was quoted at tech support, LOL!

Punch Card
sritacco

Punch Card
fzavit

I've bought that one from Hellowifi for the s10 and its not it. I actually corresponded with them and sent them pics of the connector on the board. They said they didn't have it.
Punch Card
sritacco

Interesting... is the connector on the laptop board physically bigger?

Without being able to tell the scale of the device it looked the same.

Punch Card
fzavit

Indeed. It's difficult to jmake a proper comparison by eyeballing it at that scale.  I found out the hard way myself.  The socket on the board is for an 8 pin connector.  The one in the auction is 4 pin. What I don't understand is why these are so hard to find - it's not like the u450p is brand new on the market or anything.

Punch Card
sritacco

[ Edited ]

Hmmm... I bought one myself and the connector is certainly an 8-pin connector, not 4-pin.

In fact, the same connector is on the bluetooth module itself.

http://yfrog.com/12img0117opj

That's the question then... is the connector on the main board the same as the one

on the bluetooth module itself?  That is what I have from ebay and it is definitely 8 pins

as you can see in the attached photo. 

Punch Card
sritacco

[ Edited ]

Ok, after studying the photos in this thread and studying the connector I have, they look different. They are both 8 pin however the one on
the main board had actual "pins" the one on the module and cable seems to touch along the edges of one side. It would be very nice if someone from Lenovo would give us a part number for a cable to order. I'm pretty happy with how the Lenovo products are built (clearly they learned this from IBM...) but I have to say that the ability to enhance and upgrade is horrible. The bios on my u150 won't even boot with and upgraded Intel WiFi card. It isn't reasonable to build these kinds of silly limitations into the equipment they manufacture.

Punch Card
sritacco

It would be great if someone that has the bluetooth module from the factory could take a picture of

the cable for us.  It probably is just a straight through 8-pin to 8-pin.  Does anyone know a source

for the connectors?