Support in other languages: 
Serial Port
deshilachado
Accepted Solution

U450p fan problems

[ Edited ]

Since yesterday I own a U450p and I really like, apart from on thing: the fan is constantly running! The casing does not feel hot at all and the air coming out also isn't that hot. I installed "Core Temp" and it states a CPU temperature of 35-41°C. It looks like the fan goes on/off at 35°C, which is very very low - turning the fan on at >50°C and turning it off at <35°C would make a lot more sense. I already read a lot about fan problems in the forum, but does anybody know a solution for the U450p right away? I would be really thankful.

Cheers,

Matthis

Serial Port
deshilachado

BIOS info

[ Edited ]

I just ran Microsofts system information msinfo32 and it says I have a

Lenovo 22CN28WW (V1.25) 16.09.2009

bios. That sounds pretty new.

Punch Card
xloserx

Re: U450p fan constantly running

Hi!

Perhaps you can use the same thing as explained here. The 450 should be quite similar to the 350.

Serial Port
deshilachado

[ Edited ]

hi xloserx, thanks for answering. I tried to follow your instructions step by step:

- install NHC

- download & run NHCConfig

- download U350.txt

- open U350.txt and replace all U350 with S10e

- rename file to S10e.cs and put it in the NHC folder, replacing the S10e generated by NHCConfig

- now start NHC

but it doesn't work. I'll call Lenovo tomorrow and ask what to do about it. If Core Temp reads the correct temperature, the fan is turned off below 35°C only, that's too low

Serial Port
deshilachado

Ok, today I called and the hotline confirmed that 35°C is too low and that should be fixed. So now I'll have to decide whether I keep the laptop and hope for a BIOS or whatever update or if I return the laptop to the store.

In the support / driver download section there are no drivers at all available for the 3389-L5G so far.

With NHC I still had no luck and no time to try out everything, hopefully next weekend I have some more time.

I also tried SpeedFan and for some reason it cannot read the fan speed, it only shows me the temperature of the two cores. The temperature it shows is the same as with CoreTemp.

Under Linux the same problem: I installed lm-sensors and it can read the temperature only and not the fan speed. Also no luck with thinkpad-acpi, it does not recognize the Idapad U450p...

Serial Port
deshilachado

U450p drivers homepage

[ Edited ]
Serial Port
deshilachado

Yesterday I tried TPFancontrol, but still no luck...

Paper Tape
yu130960

I take it that this is still an unresolved issue.  I can't wait to get my unit and see if it has the same thing and how annoying it is.

Serial Port
deshilachado

I'd be happy to hear whether I am the only one with that problem, because if I am, I would have to send it in but if I'm not, I'll wait for a new BIOS with corrected temperatures.

Paper Tape
somaa7

hello

same probleme here. i have my lenovo u450p since one week and it appears to have the same problem.

fan turns off and an at around 35/36  celsius, as you said.

actually it is a really nice notebook but that issue is a kind of annoying.  the cpu temperature is constantly around 35 celsius. thus the fan turns off and on constantly.

i also hope for a new bios, or some other software which could fix the problem

best regards