Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
somaa7

Re: U450p fan constantly running

a friend of mine has the same problem with the same notebook.   so it appears to be a common bug.

it would be nice to hear from some stuff of lenovo that they work on this problem.

don't want to sell this notebook because of this annoying fan.

does anybody know if there is some official stuff of lenovo in this forum ?

Serial Port
deshilachado

Until now I called the support phone line twice:

The first time (beginning December 2009) I was told that yes, it is a BIOS problem, the temperatures are too low and I should wait for a soon to be released BIOS.

The second time (end January 2010, almost 2 months later) I was told to send my notebook to Lenovo so some technician could replace the fan. Took me a while to explain that the fan was not broken, but just kicks in at far too low temperature...

So, still waiting for a new BIOS and I wonder what's so complicated about setting some sensible temperature limits?

What's DOS?
breakflying

hi,

i also have the problem with the fan.

Why lenovo still have no bios fix???

Bad service...

Community Moderator
yigit

send feedbacks

http://www.krasotaiskusstva.com
Serial Port
deshilachado

BIOS update

[ Edited ]

On March 31st a BIOS update (version 33 or "22CN33WW 32") for the U450p was released:

http://consumersupport.lenovo.com/en/DriversDownloads/drivers_list.aspx?CategoryID=209243

I installed the update because I was hoping it would improve the fan control, but it did not: The temperatures displayed increased by 5°C (the real temperature of course did not increase, only the temperature displayed i.e. by Core Temp). But as the fan control seems to use that displayed temperature, the fan is now always on and NEVER(!) turns off. The change should have been in the opposite direction!

Fanfold Paper
EarlofArgyle

U450P fan constantly ON OFF!

Hey together,

please excuse my english.

I buyed my U450P two days ago and i also have a problem with the fan. At startup the notebook is nearly quiet. Five minutes later the fan turns 3 seconds on and then turns directly off. This happens now all the time. ON OFF ON OFF. It doesnt matter if the notebook idles or if i surf around and do some office stuff. I also installed the new bios(version 33 or "22CN33WW 32"), NHC, speedfan, tpfancontrol, ...,  but there arent any changes. The CPU is always around 38-42° C.

The lenovo support told me, that this is the first time they heared about such a problem. But i cant believe this. They also said, that in the next 1 or 2 weeks there should be a new bios update.

Anyone else with this problem? Some hints?

Greetz

Serial Port
deshilachado

Re: U450P fan constantly ON OFF!

[ Edited ]

You are definetely not the only one with U450p fan problems!

You should search the forum for "U450p fan" or "U?50 fan" or "fan noise"...

If you read the comments on amazon.de you will also see that every second person is complaining about the fan. Apart from the fan I really like this laptop, and if the fan was quiet I could recommend it to everybody 100%

I called the telephone support a couple of times and I sent feedback through the feedback form. Probably it is a good idea to call again and again and send feedback.

Punch Card
xloserx

Seems to be a problem with most of the machines Lenovo ships. At least after they started to make affordable laptops for younger people without need of hearing aid. The problem is most likely that the threshold for fan ON/OFF is so close to one another that passive cooling never gets a chance to kick in properly.

Serial Port
deshilachado

That's it, the temperature limit for on and off is almost identical. Instead, the limits should be like 15°C apart. For example the fan could slowly start at T>55°C and turn completely off at T<40°C.

When I bought my U450p in november Lenovo telephone support also promised me they would release a new BIOS within the next 1-2 weeks and well, it took until march and the new BIOS does not resolve the problem...

What's DOS?
lubek

any news or solutions, maybe some feedback from lenovo support? this on/off thing is so **bleep** annoying.