Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
SuperDude_1736

Ubuntu Linux on Y710

Hey Guys,

I'm presently a Toshiba user that's looking to go to change my Satellite P20 for a Lenovo IdeaPad Y710, and I would like to know, are their problems with Linux on the Y710? Can the video card, webcam, wireless network card, and sound card all work as well as they do in Vista in Linux?

Retired Guru
skripatch

Re: Ubuntu Linux on Y710

Hi, man =)
As far as known here, there were some successful Ubuntu installations on Y510. Also it is konwn at the moment that all drivers except videocard (ATI graphics) are the same for Y510 and Y710. So it seems to be OK to install Linux on Y710 - so far nobody reported about any problems with hardware on Linux. Oh, except inverted camera, but this one was solved somehow.
HTH
GL
//help will save the world
Serial Port
shoguevara

I suggest you to search for ATI drivers for your video card on Linux before installing that OS. Nevertheless, thinks it will work without it, but wou will not have access to some features(like OpenGL etc.)
Retired Moderator
carbon_unit

Usually it will install with VESA (generic) drivers but to get enhanced video performance you will have to install specific drivers. The restricted driver manager should make a suggestion as to which driver you need.

Registered Linux User #160145

FYI: I am not employed by Lenovo
Serial Port

There's a thread about using Ubuntu on the Lenovo Y510 at the Ubuntu Forums here.  Might want to check that out for some more info.
Running Ubuntu 9.04 on an Ideapad Y510