Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
gctex

Unable to boot : PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable, Operating System not found.

Hi all,

My laptop (Lenovo Ideapad Y560) running on Windows 7 64-bit stopped booting. These are the messages I receive while trying  to boot:

Broadcom UNDI PXE-2.1 v12.2.5
Copyright Broadcom
Copyright Intel
All rights reserved.

Broadcom Base code PXE-2.1 v1.1.1
Copyright Broadcom
Copyright Intel
PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
PXE-M0F: Exiting Broadcom PXE ROM.
Operating System not found.

========================

BIOS settings:

=========Boot==========

Boot priority order
1: IDE CD: SlimtypeBD E DS4E1S
2: IDE 0: SAMSUNG MMCRE32GEDXP-MVBL1
3: IDE 1: ST9500420AS
4: USB KEY:
5: USB HDD:
6: USB FDC:
7: USB CDROM:
8: PCI BEV: MBA v12.2.5 Slot 0900
Excluded from boot order:

========Confirguration======

WLAN Device: Disabled
SATA Mode: AHCI
Power Beep: Disabled
Inter Virtual Technology: Disabled

========Information=========

Product Name: Ideapad Y560
BIOS version: 30CN62WW
EC Version: 27EC36WW

I was able to load the Repair disc Windows 7 64-bit to get to the System Recovery screen but there is no Operating System listed.

I click on Load Drivers and it goes to X:\Windows\system32. Not sure what to select here. It is expecting a file of type

"Setup Information". MUI ??

I click on C: from the drop down menu and I get a message saying "C: is inaccessible and needs to be formatted being it

can be used". I exit that screen.

Ran the Startup Repair many times. No change.

I went to Command Prompt mode (DISKPART) and list volume as mentioned in this thread:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/20864-mbr-restore-windows-7-master-boot-record.html

Volume ###   Ltr  Label            Fs      Type           Size        Status   Info

------------  ---  ----------    ----     ---------    ------     -------  -----

Volume 0        E   Repair Disc     UDF    DVD-ROM   165 Mb      Healthy

Volume 1        C   (No label)      RAW    Partition     29 GB       Healthy

Volume 2        D   Lenovo          NTFS  Partition      29 GB       Healthy 

Volume 3             (No label)      RAW   Partition     421 GB       Healthy Hidden

Volume 4             Lenovo_Part   NTFS  Partition      14 GB       Healthy Hidden

But the thread above has a step to restore the "bootsector code". But I don't find bootsect.exe in my repair disc. It only

has boot and sources directories and bootmgr.

So I go online & download bootsect.exe, and a bunch of 64 bit drivers from Lenovo site, and burned a new repair disc. I

also included EasyBCD 2.0.2 on it. But for some reason the laptop just wouldn't boot from it. I had made sure that all

executables on the root folder. But it boots only from the original repair disc that doesn't have any drivers or

bootsect.exe.

Is my C: (volume 3, 421 GB) corrupt? It shouldn't show up as RAW or hidden, right? But its status says it is healthy.

I am kind of stuck at this point. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

-Gc

topmahof
Topics: 37
Kudos: 375
Solutions: 241

Re: Unable to boot : PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable, Operating System not found.

Hi gctex and welcome to the Community,

C: should not be listed as raw.  It should be NTSF.

I would boot up into a live linux cd and run a diagnostic on the hard drive and go from there.  

Did you resize any partitions before this happened?  

Dave

If someone helped you today, pay it forward. Help Someone Else!
English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
What's DOS?
menorca

Re: Unable to boot : PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable, Operating System not found.

Hey

How did you solve your problem?

I also have a Lenovo Ideapad Y560 and am having the same problem all of a sudden.

When I check the priority order, it shows:

USB KEY:

USB HDD:

USB FDC:

IDE 0:

IDE 1:

IDE CD:smileysurprised:ptiarc DVD RW AD-7700H

USB CDROM:

PCI BEV:MBA v.12,2,5 Slot 0900

What are the IDE fields supposed to contain and what is the problem if they are blank?

I am really confused because I had given mylaptop to be checked at the service centre for keyboard issues, but they did not find any problem and I checked my laptop right after that!

But after 4 days, I am suddenly getting this "Operating system not found" error!

Please help.

Thankyou

Paper Tape
whodis

I had this exact problem and am struggling to fix it. Currently I bought a new 64 GB SSD. That seemed to fix the hardware problem. But without the recovery CDs I'm having problems reinstalling the OS

topmahof
Topics: 37
Kudos: 375
Solutions: 241

Hi whodis,

What exactly is the problem installing the OS and what OS were you running?

Dave

If someone helped you today, pay it forward. Help Someone Else!
English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
Paper Tape
whodis

I have the OneKeyRecovery factory default restore disks. I used them to install Windows 7 64bit to the C drive (SSD). It's only 64 GB so it fills up quickly. I got it working but I feel like something is wrong because now it always runs out of disk space. After installing Windows I tried to recover my files using my Windows backup but it stops halfway through saying I'm out of space. So it seems like before I had more space than now. On a different thread they said to use the Intel Smart response caching system. But to do that I need raid and it seems l ike I don't have that ability on my bios

Paper Tape
whodis

Solved the problem. I needed to install/run Rapid Drive

So the solutions was:

1) install new SSD as C:

2) install Windows on C:

3) run Rapid Drive to merge C: and D: