Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
metsfan81

Video Drivers for Y470P

Hi,

I just purchased this laptop, and are using the drivers bundled with the shipped version.  I noticed that despite a date of April 16th release of these video drivers, the ATi portion of the drivers have not been updated as of June 2011 (based on the version number of these drivers). 

I find this a little ridiculous that we need to rely on IBM to release these switchable drivers and cannot update using the ATi website.  Im also having issues with games such as Battlefield 3 crashing due to the lack of updated drivers.

Can someone let me know if this card is even still supported by IBM? If not, this is heading back to the factory...

Punch Card
Topjack

Re: Video Drivers for Y470P

Metsfan81,

As you are seeing Lenovo does very few updates, and will be lucky if you find any new ones for your model in the next year. Note that when it comes to Video drivers Lenovo isn't alone when it comes to poor lack of new drivers. Others here might have more ideas and most likely you will only find modified ones. Good luck

Fanfold Paper
css_switchfoot

I also have researched this issue for my Y470p

From what I can tell, AMD does not support their OEM cards, (which is what the Radeon HD 7690 is).  Right now there are no official drivers besides the ones that shipped.  I agree this is ridiculous but its because you have three companies that have to collaborate to bring updated drivers.  intel, lenovo, and AMD.  Obviously thats not gonna happen more than once a year, and some HP customers are working with drivers older than ours.

You can download unofficial drivers from a russian dude, Leshcat.

http://drivers.leshcatlabs.org/

Since these are not official there are certain lenovo functions that will not work, such as OneKey Theater.  They require a supported version of the driver to function.  Also there's no guaruntee you'll keep the "Switchable Graphics" functionality either.  But they do work fine if all you want is a powerful Radeon card in your laptop.

Right now there are no official drivers besides the ones that shipped.  I agree this is ridiculous but its because

Paper Tape
metsfan81

Hi Switchfoot thanks for the response..,

Ive actually tried out Leshcat's drivers (the 12.2 up 5, and the 12.4's), however using his instructions (wipe existing using YUC cleaner, and then installing the package) doesnt seem to work for me.  Once the drivers are cleaned and I try to update, it doesnt seem to recognize the Ati card, and therefore doesnt install the video driver (only CCC).  could you let me know how you managed to do this on your end?

Also, I could care less about the switchable aspect of the card, as long as the ATi is updated.  I dont plan on ever using or switching back to the integrated intel card.

Fanfold Paper
css_switchfoot

I'm in the same boat as you.  Leshcat's drivers didn't work for me either (tried them today). The Pyropath on Rage3D forums told me the 7690M is just a 6750M.  There are posts all over the net that people have succesfully installed 6750M drivers and it works great for our card.  You just lose the switchable graphics functionality and some Lenovo features.

If you find them let me know here, I'll do the same.

Paper Tape
metsfan81

[ Edited ]

sounds good buddy - i think its just the CCC software (can get 12.4 for example) - like this...

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Fresh-AMD-Catalyst-12-4-Drivers-for-Download-266487.shtml

just not sure how to install it though...as if we uninstall and try to install, the 7690 isnt recognized....

i personally dont care if i can get switchable working - im fine with just running the ati card on its own

What's DOS?
megaprawn

Bumping this thread because I too have the same issue with Battlefield 3. The current Lenovo Intel/AMD integrated drivers have an issue with the game, and it just crashes. Sometimes it says there's a driver crash, sometimes it just freezes up and gives a black screen. All I know is that the drivers currently out are terribad for gaming and we need Lenovo/AMD to update the drivers.

AMD autodetect doesn't detect the 7690m

Unofficial (leshcat) drivers don't detect the Y470p's GPU either.