Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Fanfold Paper
buzzman

What is the Ultrabook primarily good for?

[ Edited ]

i like the look of the ultrabooks cos they are so slim but am concerned abt performance - could you advise what ultrabooks are recommended for?

Lenovo Employee
schandra

Re: What is the Ultrabook primarily good for?

Ultrabooks are designed to feature reduced size (less than 2.1 cm thick) and weight (usually less than 1.5 kg (3.3 lbs)) without compromising performance and battery life. So if you are looking for a bridge in between a Conventinal Laptop ( big size, heavy, good for computing) and a Subnotebook ( i.e netbook , small size, lighter, strictly for net surfing and not for computing) , Ultrabook is your machine. It is lighter, thinner and good for most of the day to day job.

Fanfold Paper
buzzman

thanks!

Fanfold Paper
buzzman

What about playing a DVD on the Ultrabook? Is there a built-in DVD player?

Microsoft MVP
Marcham93

Hi Buzzman!

Neither Ultrabooks include a built in DVD drive, but you can buy an external USB drive if you like.

If you really want the drive built in you can check out the slightly thicker, but still awesome U400.

http://www.lenovo.com/products/us/laptop/ideapad/u-series/u400/

-Mike
-Michael Archambault
Fanfold Paper
buzzman

Thanks Mike! So why would one choose an Ultrabook over a regular laptop, if the DVD drive is not built in? That's because I'd like to play some games on it and it'll certainly be a hassel without the drive.

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,253
Solutions: 1,344

Ultrabooks uses Intel's Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge Ultra Low Voltage CPU and most of them are shipped with SSD.

While they are not designed for latest games, they are not slow for movies, office based apps, some light CAD and some moderate photoshopping.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Ctrl-Alt-Del
jbgrzy

If you are a hardcore PC Gamer, then Ultrabooks are probably not for you. I found that the only time that I used a DVD drive was to watch a movie or TV show, which I only do at most once a week, or install some software, which I rarely do. So what your needs are should definitely go into choosing what computer to purchase.

Thanks,

jbgrzy

Lenovo Employee
RodneyLCC

In addition,  Intel has done a lot with security features, graphics, and responsiveness especially for the Ultrabook spec. So I would expect them to do more with this footprint. Look for more!

Guru
PeterTWJ

Yeah, I hope to get a Ultrabook or Tablet for my next machine as short term goal, I would put # as I am unsure when I would achieve it. :smileyvery-happy: (either T4#0u, X#c or X2#0t) 

Even though having a mobile workstation or gaming laptop is good - gaming / heavy task on the go, but I am tired of lugging heavy 'black gold' around. :smileyvery-happy:

Have a nice day! :smileytongue::smileyhappy::smileyvery-happy:

Peter

W520 (4284-A99)

Does someone’s post help you? Give them kudos as a reward, as they will do better to improve | Mark it as solved if the solution works for you, so it could be reference for others in the future

=====================================

Sound Enthusiast and Enhancement (Post comments, share mixes, etc.)

Dolby Home Theater v4 ; IdeaPad Slate Tablet