Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Fanfold Paper
DLCPhoto

Why Doesn't Lenovo Sell Y430 Series On Its Site?

I'm interested in the 14.1" Y430 series, and can find it only at Circuit City, and perhaps a couple of other online retailers.  Thinking I might be able to get some decent Black Friday deals at Lenovo, I checked here as well, but it's not even listed.

Any idea on why it's not sold directly here, or why it's availability at other stores is so limited?

Specifically, I'm interested in either the 5232U or 5242U version.  Circuit City had the first for $599 for a while, but it's back up to $729.  The 5242U is $799 essentially everywhere I look.

I'm wanting to pay at most $600 for this laptop for my wife - any leads on where to get either for close to that price?

Thanks.

Fanfold Paper
DLCPhoto

Re: Why Doesn't Lenovo Sell Y430 Series On Its Site?

Any thoughts from any Lenovo personnel on this?

There are fairly few retailers (Circuit City, TigerDirect, CompUSA, J&R) that even list any in the the Y430 series, and it's not even listed on Lenovo's own site.

Is this a mainstream Lenovo product, or something that needs to be avoided for some odd reason?

Punch Card
dleccord

I would advise against this notebook because of its wifi problems.

Not a good notebook and the speakers aren't even that great.

If you read the pdf manual, I believe Circuit City IS the only authorized store that sells them as if Lenovo has some kind of contract with Circuit City on this particular model.

Fanfold Paper
DLCPhoto

Thanks for the reply.

Regarding the speakers, I really don't see that as an issue, given how this laptop would be used.

I have not seen any mention of "wifi problems" - could you provide some details or links to what problems are being reported?

Also, when you say "not a good notebook" - what specifics do you have in mind?  The specs are pretty impressive, especially at the $600 price Circuit City had it at for a while.  I've been looking for similarly configured Dell and Sony laptops, and the Y430-5232U beats them all, at a more attractive price.  For one thing, it has an HDMI output,which I need for this particular laptop, and this is a rare feature in this price category.

So, thanks again for the reply, and I'd appreciate any further information you could provide on the Wifi or other issues.

Don

TLA
Punch Card
TLA

[ Edited ]

Note that the Y430 is sold on the Australian and Chinese Lenovo websites (.au and .cn).  So, in the future, it may also be purchased directly from the US website.

I can't comment on the specific model sold by Circuit City, but I've had my Y430 for a couple of months (bought in China), and have been very happy with it.

Message Edited by TLA on 12-03-2008 12:09 PM
Punch Card
Hrshycro

Well I have had the $799 Verison of the Y430 from CC, I got it for $614 with sales tax.

I love it, I have a Y510 also, it's not quite the build quality as my Y510 (no metal around the keyboard) but the nice size makes up for everything, I love it for everything I use a laptop for. The wifi was buggy but the newest driver from intel.com fixed everything. Sound is just as good as on my Y510!

I'd go for it, also I'm not sure why they aren't sold on lenovo.com.

Punch Card
dleccord

Sound quality on the Y430 is mediocre at best. The subwoofer on this machine is BS. Nothing but a marketing gimmick.

Also, isnt the Y510 5.1? 

Retired Guru
skripatch

Y510 is 4.1.

Sound quality is just a bit improved comparing Y430.

//help will save the world
Punch Card
dleccord

That's pretty sad.

In the meantime, I will be waiting for some kind of firmware in hopes that will make these speakers louder.

Punch Card
dleccord

So it seems the wifi update from Lenovo is giving me problems.

I thought they would be up to date with Intel.

Here's the link (Vista Home Premium 32bit).