Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
djnorris

Widespread Y560 Display Problem?

After doing some research, it appears I am not the only one with Y560 problems such as pixel shimmering/dithering in discrete graphics mode.  After telling lenovo I was having this problem they immediately set up a return and full refund without even the option sending me a new one.  This has me thinking it is a widespread problem and they just hope people don't notice.  I could only find one other post on this in another forum though:

Pixel Static

Basically if you turn on discrete graphics (ATI) and look closely at the screen you will notice pixels dancing, shimmering, or moving around. It's much easier to see when the screen is tilted about 60 degrees away from you.  It's almost like looking at a grainy Quentin Tarantino film.  There has been some speculation as to what is causing this including that the panel is only 6-bit and the ATI card is attempting to do 8-bit color on the panel.  I will be posting this on other forums to see if this is an isolated problem, or a widespread design flaw.

Punch Card
ramielrowe

Re: Widespread Y560 Display Problem?

[ Edited ]

I just got my Y560 today, and I'm having the same issue. A website I frequent has a background color of F9F9F9, and the static is extremely pronounced! Is this because the screen is 6 bit, or is there something wrong with my graphics card? If this is how lenovo designed the laptop, that's just rediculous and I seriously doubt I would have even considered a Y560 if I had know that.

What the heck Lenovo???

Token Ring
pepemosca

[ Edited ]

Do you also have the ants arround the edges of the windows in Windows 7?

I tell more about it here: http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Y-U-B-and-Z-series/Stange-artifact-in-the-borders-of-the-windows...

Also, do you have 2 video cards? Which version of the Y560 do you have?

Have you noticed that the fonts are not perfectly drawn? Using Clear Type, as Windows 7 default.

I have the i7, 4 gig of ram, y560. So only the 1 ATI card.

I haven't noticed any ants around the edges of windows, and fonts seem to be drawn fine with me.

Token Ring
pepemosca

The "ants" are when you move the window from top to bottom.

Look at the edges of the window.

About the fonts, you only can notice when you compare to another LCD display of the same resolution (I have a Toshiba notebook with a similar LCD display).

Still, this is terrible! We need a BIOS or driver update URGENT!

I have the same problem and its annoying, I only have the ATI Card so the pixel static is visible all the time, I Did some research on the panel for all of you who have this issue please check which panel you have by going to

Device manager

-monitors

-right click on plug and play monitor  or whatever you have and click properties

-go to Details tab

-in the property selection click on "Hardware Ids"

-the first couple letters will determine your panel manufacturer

AUO*** <- I have this panel  if u go online to there website and look at notebook panels you will see that its only 6-Bit panel and so that's why u get the pixels dancing on ati card trying to do 8 bit per channel.

*switch to 16-bit color in windows and problem is gone.

Please post what panel you have and if you get the static pixels. maybe its only that panel since lenovo is using a couple panels for this model.

I may buy a panel for this laptop and replace it becuase its a realy good laptop but this panel is driving me nuts.

Token Ring
pepemosca

[ Edited ]

Hello, I have this panel:

MONITOR\AUO31EC

But I still see:

• Dancing pixels (is not fixed by changing the color depth to 16 bits)
  • 1 Bright pixel
  • 1 Blue dead (black) pixel
  • Ants arround the windows border when I move them from top to bottom
  • The fonts are strange with the ClearType... had like an hallo.

We were't lucky with the panel... we weren't.

ah we are unlucky, you have the same panel manafacturer (auo) as me. but when i ddswitch to 16 bit depth i dont have dancing pixels anymore i will try this today in the evening again to confirm, as for the excel problem i didt try yet i wil do all those test today and report back in the evening. I have no idea what lenovo is thinking by putting this kind of panel and hopeing we dont notice unelss ofcoures there is a diffrent issue. if a lot of people have they should report so that lenovo can see it and fix the problem. do any of you think that replacing the panel with diffrent manafacturer like lg or samsung would fix the problem because i know that lenovo uses a few manafacturers for the panels for this model as stated in the hardware maintance. i like this laptop a lot and would hate to have it send it back for refound, if its possible i may try to replace the panel and see if it works any thoughts? *if anyone without pixel static could report their manafcaturer of the panel and if anyone with Y460 or Y550 could do the same that be great.
Punch Card
ramielrowe

Same AOU panel... and if you lower the color depth, you lose Aero. So that isn't even a fix in my mind.

Token Ring
pepemosca

[ Edited ]

Did someone try to call the Lenovo Warranty?

magister, why are you thinking about buying a new panel insted using the warranty?

I think I will call them next week to see their options.

I also like my Y560, I don't want to send it back... and also I can't because I'm not in USA anymore. :smileysad:

To make me fell even worst, I did a PowerPoint file to see the pixel dance and my bright and dead pixels.

http://drop.io/l8lh0dc

ramielrowe, I have the same problem. If I get the color depth to 16 bits, I loose Aero.

Not a solution for me either.

But, also, the pixel dance still there with 16 bits.