Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Serial Port
seeker_moc

Re: Widespread Y560 Display Problem?

[ Edited ]

I agree with pepemosca.  I've owned 4 laptops personally, and another 8 or so I've had for work over the last 10 years.  I've never had a screen problem like this.  I'm using an old ASUS S96s right now, which only cost about $800 new, and I don't have this problem.  Screen is crystal clear no matter how you look at it, and it has an even lower resolution than the Y560 does.  In fact, the Y560 is the most expensive laptop I've ever used.  I fear that all laptop screens may be going downhill, but just because a few other laptops might have a similiar defect to what we're having, doesn't mean it's not a defect.

Fanfold Paper
AmigoCZE

Hi,

try someone this advice?

"An epidemic has widespread. It’s not about a certain kind of disease. It attacks most of Lenovo IdeaPad Y560’s screen. When the discrete graphics is turned on there will remarkably be pixels kind of dancing, shimmering, or moving around. This is much easier to see when the screen is tilted back about 60 degrees or to the front. Some speculations have risen as about the causes of this IdeaPad Y560 display problem including that the panel is only 6-bit and the AT1 card is attempting to do 8-bit color on the screen. Unfortunately, Lenovo has done nothing in this case.

<script type="text/javascript">// google_ad_client = "pub-3366654364114024"; /* 336x280 */ google_ad_slot = "1720207060"; google_ad_width = 300; google_ad_height = 250; // </script> <script src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js" type="text/javascript"> </script> <script src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/expansion_embed.js"></script> <script src="http://googleads.g.doubleclick.net/pagead/test_domain.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript">// google_protectAndRun("ads_core.google_render_ad", google_handleError, google_render_ad); // </script>

In response to this display problem, some have suggested the following steps:

- First, go to Device Manager and find Monitors

- Then, right click on plug and play monitor (or whatever it says) and followed by clicking Properties.

- Next on, go to Details tab

- Once we reach the property selection, we must click on Hardware Ids. The first couple letters which show up will indicate the screen manufacturer, AUOxxx or something (i.e. AUO31EC)

- Finally, try to switch to 16-bit color in Windows

- The Display problem should, then, be gone"

BTW: Is Asus N61JQ better and more quality laptop than Y560? Asus vs. Lenovo.

Fanfold Paper
AmigoCZE

Serial Port
seeker_moc

[ Edited ]

Well, there's a few things wrong with that advice.  First is that all laptop panels are only 6-bit (18-bit total, 262K colors), nobody makes 8-bit (24-bit total, 16.7M colors) panels for a laptop.  It's due to technical limitations of "TN" type LCD panels.  In fact, most cheap LCD monitors for regular computers are the same way, but they can still advertise as "16.7M colors" because they can use ditering to simulate other colors.

A few of us did switch to 16-bit color, but it doesn't help.  Plus, Windows Areo and some games will not function with color set to 16-bit, so it really isn't a solution.

I've done some more searching online, and I came across a few threads where certain Dell and Mac laptops were having the same 'graininess' problem.

On the Dell thread (from 2008), the people said that it was the LCD panel's fault.  They shipped it in, got a new panel, and it fixed the problem.  Dell replaced the panel with one from a different manufacturer for everybody who complained about the problem.

On the Mac thread (from 2006), the people said it was the fault of the ATI cards, and that a new video card BIOS from ATI was supposed to fix the problem, but the thread ended before anyone could confirm that the new BIOS actually fixed the problem.

BIOS 57 is the same one that my laptop came with, and it still has the problem.

Serial Port
seeker_moc

Re: Widespread Y560 Display Problem / Warranty Service Useless

[ Edited ]

An update on my warranty service.  I received my laptop on the 11th, on the 14th I sent it to the repair depot (I only had it for 3 days).  Before sending it in, I called the warranty support hotline.  I paid extra for the at-home warranty service, but the support technician said on the phone that it was likely a defective LCD panel, and that the at-home service couldn't fix that, so I'd have to send it in to the depot.  They could have at least sent a technician to my home, which I paid for, to take a look at the problem.  At the least, maybe he could have confirmed my problem, and made a better description for the depot technician, but oh well, that never happened.

Anyway, I sent it off, and the depot received it on the 16th.  I sent it to the depot in Grapevine, TX.

On the 18th I received a call from the depot.  They said that the technician couldn't replicate the problem, and asked me to describe it again.  I did, and they said they'd take another look at it.

Since then I've called about the status every 2nd working day.  Every time I call they ask me to re-describe the problem.  Every time I call they either say that it's in 'engineering hold' or that they don't know what it's status is.  Every time I call they don't know when my repair will be completed.  They haven't made any progress with my laptop since they called me on the 18th, which is now 10 days past.

Since I received my laptop for the first time, it's been either in the mail, or at the service depot, for 82% of the time.  I wouldn't mind as much if they were actually making progress, and it really took them 12 days to fix it.  But they're not.  It's been sitting there on a shelf for 10 days.  I paid over a grand for my laptop, and paid extra for the next-day in-home warranty service, just to have it sit at a depot, still un-repaired, for 12 days.

How long does it take to switch out an LCD panel?  I've done it myself before on a laptop out of warranty, and it took me, an amateur, about 30 min.  Apparently it takes a depot over 12 days.  I understand that we don't know for sure that it is the LCD panel at fault, but still, it'd only take them 30 min to switch it out with another one and see for themselves.  It's called troubleshooting.

My service case number is WN220642

tl;dr

My laptop screen was broken when I received it.  Paid for next day at home warranty service, but had to send it to depot anyway.  Been 12 days now, still not fixed.

Note from Moderator:  Please don't post the same message in multiple boards/threads as it splinters the discussion.  Duplicate(s) removed.

Note to Moderator:  So, people without the same laptop and display problem can't be interested in the poor warranty service that Lenovo provides???

Token Ring
pepemosca

seeker_moc, I send my today to the warranty service here in Argentina.

I send it in mostly because I had -besides the dancing pixels, ants, big mouse...- dead subpixels and some bright pixels.

They said and swear that they will give it back to me on thrusday. Then they will se how to fix it.

But as I said before... I'm just looking to get the pixels fixed. I mean, a panel replace.

I hope what Mark_Lenovo said about the BIOS update will became true. I hope that solve all my problems with the pixels.

I kind of believe it... because, it's kind of strange that all the models of the panels were bad?

In the other hand, is terrible your experience with the warranty. Terrible. I hope I don't have that kind of luck.

My best wishes to you!

Serial Port
seeker_moc

[ Edited ]

What happened to out thread??  9 of the 10 pages were deleted, including "on-topic" stuff, plus the link you provided for where it was moved to gives me a "access denied" message.

andyP
Topics: 161
Kudos: 713
Solutions: 635

[ Edited ]

seeker_moc,

The access denied message is because the posts were moved out of public view, as stated by JaneL.

What is more concerning are the missing posts you refer to. Somehow the posts aren't there, but they're also not deleted. If I click on your member name and then view all posts I can read all of your contributions to this subject, but they aren't, as you pointed out, visible in this thread.

This has also unfortunately happened in another thread in another board. It's being looked into and we'll try to repair things as soon as possible.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

Token Ring
pepemosca

Please andyP or JaneL, try harder to fix this topic. There was valuable information on it.

Thank you in advance for your efforts.