Support in other languages: 
Blue Screen Again
pit_ns

Re: Widespread Y560 Display Problem?

Hi,

I am from Poland and unfortunately I have the same problem with my new laptop. I sent my lenovo 560 four days ago and when I called them yesterday I heard they would replace the panel, so they didn't tell me anything about the new bios.

Token Ring
pepemosca

magister, if I were you: I call back my Y560.

You can do the BIOS update without their help at your home.

[ Edited ]

Yes He can, but what if that not be the solution ? Nobody said new bios would repair anything yet..

Token Ring
pepemosca

And?

Do you think that will change the return policy if they have the computer against if you have the computer?

The return will be a mess any way.

[ Edited ]

Magister,

Exactly, that's what's making me so mad.  They dismiss the fact that it could be a bad panel, before they even try to switch it out.  I mean how hard could it be just to try it out????

Serial Port
seeker_moc

[ Edited ]

Pit,

Very true.  But my laptop better not be sitting there on a shelf just waiting for some engineer to spend a month writing a new BIOS.

Serial Port
seeker_moc

[ Edited ]

All,

I think this is the end of the line for me.  I called the depot back, after they've had it for 17 days, and now they finally said that they think it's the BIOS, and I will have to wait an unspecified amount of time until a new BIOS and new drivers are released.  I don't know why they couldn't have told me that 2 weeks ago, and I still don't know if they even tried to swap out the screens.  They're going to send it back to me, unrepaired, next week.

I'm sorry Lenovo, but I bought a laptop because I need one now.  I didn't buy a $1300 laptop so it could spend it's first 3 weeks at a depot, then sit around my house for an unspecified length of time waiting for an update that may or may not fix the problem.

I called returns, and they said that even though it's been over 21 days, I could still return it because it spent almost it's entire time at the depot.  They said they couldn't issuse me a RMA until I actually got it back from the depot, but once it's back to call again and get one.  After all this, I just hope they don't try to pull some sort of "restocking fee" cr@p on me.  I want a full refund.

This the first, and the last, time that I will look at Lenovo for computers.  It's just not acceptable that even your most expensive top of the line Ideapad is broken right out of the box.

To the rest of you, who've shared in my pain for the last 3 weeks, I just hope that the supposed BIOS update comes out soon, and actually fixes everything, or that you also get a full refund.

Token Ring
pepemosca

Today, my novel had a new chapter.

I got my notebook back from the warranty... but they did: nothing.

It seams that the international warranty... is a mistake.

If you look inside this page:

http://consumersupport.lenovo.com/UserFiles/IWS/20100609114927_57.mht

And follow this other pages:

http://consumersupport.lenovo.com/us/en/htmls/1221210303937.html

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-58926.html

You will understand that I have international warranty in Argentina... but looks like, it's a mistake from the web master.

Or that's what the answer I got here in Argentina from the warranty service.

Kindly, the guys at Unisys (the third-party company that has the warranty service for Lenovo here in Argentina) told me that they are working on a positive response from Lenovo about my case.

So...

Also, as you guys... here is no solution to any of our screen problems.

When I bought this computer, I thougt... Lenovo, IBM, ThinkPad... will be a hummer suv.
But I was wrong. :smileysad:

[ Edited ]

Hello everyone,

I'm the owner of the Y560 seen in one of the earlier videos posted by my friend.

(Seen here:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ikm9aaLcDHk)

Frankly I'm appalled that this problem made it past Quality Assurance without getting completely overhauled.

I never noticed the problem at the store because the notebook was sitting on a low shelf and I never looked at it from a bottom-up angle.  Had I noticed the static as well as the 'edge ants' issue I would never have considered purchasing it.  Rapid movements in games or windows show a grid-like mess of pixels in large areas of the screen.  On top of that, this display has one of the worst viewing angles I've ever seen in my life.  Viewing the monitor from any angle other than dead straight shows just how low quality it is as the colors and brightness change drastically.  I can't even show a video to someone sitting next to me because just by sitting on an angle they lose half the picture.

What's the point of packing such huge punch with an i7 and high end graphics card if the display that presents it is so obviously inferior?  

My apologies if I sound like a huge whiner but as you can see I am very frustrated at Lenovo.  I was warned many times by relatives and friends to stay away from Lenovo when I was shopping but when I saw the Y560 I couldn't resist.  I thought that I would prove them all wrong and that Lenovo's were actually high quality machines.  I brought it home, booted it up, and my palm immediately went to my face.  You can even see the static just by looking at the glowing Windows symbol that appears on boot.  You'd have to be completely blind to miss it.

I've brought it to the local Lenovo repair center in Hong Kong twice on warranty and they were unable to solve the issue.  They even changed my LCD panel for a new one and the new one had 2 dead pixels. After an angry email from myself they quickly changed the monitor for another good one and are looking into the static issue but at the moment the problem is hanging until they contact me again with further details.  

I appreciate the attention and effort that Mark_Lenovo and others have put into resolving this issue and I really hope that a bios update will do something... but my expectations for a working fix are almost non-existant at this point.  I hope Lenovo realizes just how badly they dropped the ball by manufacturing a high-end entertainment laptop with one of the worst displays panels I've ever seen.

- A Disappointed Customer

Token Ring
pepemosca

Ahgama,
I'm completely agree with your post.
I sometimes think, that we were scam.

Besides that, what's your panel brand and model?