Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
BadgerDave

Y430 battery/charger problems - Laptop won't charge or power up

I have a Lenovo Y430 IdeaPad laptop.  Last weekend I noticed the battery was low, which was odd since the laptop was plugged into the ac/dc charger.  I determined that the charger was bad, as the light on the power brick was not on, even though it was plugged in.

Ordered a new Lenovo ac/dc charger. While I waited for that to arrive, I didn't use the laptop as it was almost out of juice.  The last time I looked at it, the low battery light was flashing and it wouldn't turn on, which I expected as the battery was empty.  The last time the laptop was used, it was shut down correctly.

New charger arrived last night; plugged it in to the laptop and nothing happens.  Battery charging light doesn't come on, nor does the unit boot up even though plugged into the wall with the charger.  Charger is good; light on power brick comes on and I verified I'm getting good voltage out of the plug.  Hard drive is good as well; I pulled that out and verified that it still works and all data is still there.  I've tried unplugging the battery for a while, and plugging the charger in without the battery in the laptop and nothing happens.  The unit acts as if it's getting no juice at all.

My IT guy at work believes the battery is shot, and won't take a charge.  He believes I should purchase a new battery and believes that the Y430 can't power up without a good battery in place.   Can anyone confirm that?

I'm just trying to confirm that it could be the battery, before I go down the bad power plug or motherboard route.

Thoughts?  Ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Dave

Community Moderator
yigit

Re: Y430 battery/charger problems - Laptop won't charge or power up

he may be right but it may be not the only reason that your battery is dead. ( may cause something else )

try to remove your battery, plug into the ac/dc, and if your computer works fine, i can say, i'm sure you are having issue with your battery. and if you have valid warranty, don't buy it, ask lenovo to change it.

to learn that you can call support line for US : 1-800-426-7378

http://www.ki-themes.com
Paper Tape
BadgerDave

Laptop won't fire up using the power supply, with battery removed.  I've been told that some laptops will not power up if a working battery is not attached.

Does anyone know if the Y430 can be powered up with the battery removed, using the ac/dc power supply?

Thanks,

Dave

Community Moderator
yigit

if i understand well, you can power up your computer via changing power management settings ( select high performance )

i meant, if your pc works fine with battery removed, probably your battery is dead and ask lenovo change it if you have still valid warranty.

Paper Tape
BadgerDave

Let's start from the top:

1.  Power supply goes bad; stops charging battery.  New power supply ordered

2. Battery goes to empty, will not start laptop.

3.  New power supply delivered.  When pluged into laptop, laptop will not start, charge light on laptop does not come on.  Power supply is good and delivers correct power, as tested with multi-tester.

4.  Current state:   Laptop will not power up with power supply plugged into it, with or without the battery removed.  Laptop battery will not charge.

5.  Laptop not under warranty.

I am trying to determine if a bad battery would cause the Y430 to not power up at all, even with the power supply attached, or if I have a problem with either the power port or motherboard. 

I am also trying to determine if the Y430 can be started with the power supply plugged into it, and the battery removed.  If the answer to that question is YES, then I know my problem is either the power port or motherboard and has nothing to do with the battery.

Thanks in advance,

Dave

Community Moderator
yigit

[ Edited ]

it should have worked fine with battery removed.

so, it's not battery issue, and it's not battery charger issue either ( cause it's new )

after that i can say you're having serios trouble with your laptop, and suggest that to contact with any techinal support if you like or if you do.

Serial Port
jermar

I am typing this on a Y430 from which I removed the battery and powered by AC.  Sorry!

Blue Screen Again
EVosOLution

My Y430 died two days ago and has the same symptoms as described in this post.

The good news is I didn't waste anytime and the laptop is shipping to the repair center now.

My concern - these laptops have a very low life expectancy. As a consumer shelling out $500 for this thing is there any options I have aside from just getting back the repaired Y430?

Community Moderator
yigit

my first laptop worked ( lived ) almost 3 years. but it started to give signals for dying after 1.5 years.

i threw it to the wall and did enjoy its getting pieces. then i bought new one.

you can get it repaired or buy a new one, according to me, these are your options.

What's DOS?
bunty_sudipta

I also faced the same issue from last week. My Battery is not working. After 85%, it is directly going to 4%. 

I am not sure what to do? If you have suggestion, please let me know.

Thanks.

Sudipta