Support in other languages: 
Fanfold Paper
AnonZetz

Y460 Bilingual Keyboard to US Keyboard Swap

Ok here's my problem, I live in Canada, so Lenovo has Bilingual Keyboards.

I don't like bilingual keyboards so is it possible for me to get a US Keyboard and swap them out?
I've seen a white US Keyboard on eBay that I can buy for the Y460, but I"m unsure of whether or not that would work.
And would a keyboard from a previous model work, like lets say the Y450

Serial Port
towely420

Re: Y460 Bilingual Keyboard to US Keyboard Swap

I would also like to know the answer to this.

Anon - have you already received your laptop?  I recently ordered a y460 in Canada and am unsure what keyboard it will come with.  It really doesn't make any sense for Lenovo to be selling laptops in Canada with bilingual keyboards.  Moreover, if they are selling computers with bilingual keyboards, there is nothing on their website stating this.  It is extremely misleading for customers.

Can any Lenovo reps comment on this?  Is there a reason why a laptop purchased in Canada would NOT come with a standard US keyboard? 

Anyway, I also found this store that sells US keyboards for the y460.  I am hoping that I don't have to order a replacement keyboard for a brand new laptop.

Again, it would be nice for a Lenovo rep to shed some light on this.

Serial Port
towely420

Update:  I spoke to a Lenovo CSR who confirmed that all laptops sold in Canada do come with the Bilingual keyboard (BOO!).

However, I spoke to a warranty and parts technician who said that the keyboard can be replaced with a US one without invalidating the warranty.  

It would be interesting to hear from anyone who has attempted this.  Depending on how usable I find the keyboard to be, I may go down this route.  

Serial Port
towely420

There are actually quite a few sites that sell US Lenovo keyboards.  

Just google the Lenovo part number: 25-008389 25-008443 or the model number: N3S-US

Serial Port
towely420

Will this US keyboard work with Canadian Bilingual Y460?

I was hoping a Lenovo rep could confirm that this keyboard  is compatible with the y460 laptop?  Is it possible to replace the bilingual keyboard with this US one?

Thanks.  

Fanfold Paper
AnonZetz

Re: Will this US keyboard work with Canadian Bilingual Y460?

ye I was hoping the same thing, I can get a white keyboard for it, but that'd look kinda odd, and wanted to change it with this
http://cgi.ebay.ca/NEW-Lenovo-Ideapad-Y450-Y550-Y550P-Keyboard-BLACK-/260552993782?cmd=ViewItem&pt=P...

Serial Port
towely420

From what I can tell, the y450 and 460 keyboards are the same, so I think  it would work.  Looks like a good find considering the seller is in Ottawa.  

Would still be nice to hear confirmation from Lenovo that this will work.  I'm sure there are other Canadians interested as well.  

Fanfold Paper
AnonZetz

Well, seriously late reply, but my Lenovo Y460 shows up tomorrow, and I'll swap out the keyboard.

I bought a white Y460 US Keyboard, because I didn't want to be to risky, I'll post my results here when I have it done, with a video too.

Fanfold Paper
AnonZetz

[ Edited ]

Hello peoples, I just got my Lenovo Y460, and switched out the keyboard for a US Standard one, and guess what. It works.

I'll be happy to make a mini tut, and put it on youtube for anyone that actually wants/needs it.

Edit: It was actually very easy.

Serial Port
towely420

Awesome update!  I also received my Y460 but I have to RMA it due to idle processor whine.

I ordered the black Y450 keyboard from and it arrived a few days ago.  It looks exactly the same as the 460, so I hope it works.  I will install it as soon as I get my replacement laptop (assuming it has no CPU whine).