Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Blue Screen Again
paul_michael

Y460 battery problem

Hi!

I hope someone could help me out.  My laptop is an Ideapad Y460 which I bought last month.

I was troubled just awhile ago when I turned on my laptop coz the battery indicator LED was blinking (white-red). I experienced it turning red when it is almost empty and it turns white when it is sufficiently charged. The battery icon on the screen is telling me that it is 76% charged while connected to the AC charger. I decided to restart it and removed the AC coz I thought it was sufficiently charged.

When it restarded, the windows 7 screen appeared but then it suddenly lost power. I turned it on again with the AC charger plugged and opted to continue loading the system when a prompt during booting appeared asking me if I should go to safe mode or continue.

In the windows 7 environment,  the battery indicator on the screen is telling me that my laptop is 75% charged and that it is not currently charging while connected to the AC. All the while the battery indicator is still blinking since booting. I decided to remove the AC charger and suddenly the battery icon on the screen has a red X and is telling me that my battery HAS 0% REMAINING. I decided to plug back the AC charger.

I don't know what's wrong with it. Ever since I bought this laptop the battery setting has been optimized for battery lifespan using lenovo energy management. I hope nothing is wrong with my laptop but I have a feeling there is something wrong with the battery after less than a month of using it. I appreciate the prompt response.

Paul

802.11n
kaiyo

Re: Y460 battery problem

did you try the battery guage reset? It's in the energy management setting. pressing the energy management button, click the gear icon beside the i.

Blue Screen Again
paul_michael

I did try what you suggested Kaiyo. When I clicked the energy management button, my screen kept on in and out (the blink that occurs when you switch between the intel on board graphics and the ati discrete graphics) but this time it just didnt stop for about 10 minutes. I just let it be and waited. Then I decided to pull out the AC and it stopped. After awhile windows told me that the power management programs has some problems and it was turned off by windows. The screen blinked once and this time the battery indicator on the screen is telling me that it has 70% charge left while the batter LED is still blinking white-red (unlike the almost empty red blink when it is less that 6% charged).

When it was fully drained I decided to charge it fully and turned it on. This time the blink was normal - LED is red and no longer the alternate white/red blink. It turned white after awhile telling me that the battery is sufficiently charged. Until now my laptop has been functioning normally. I just wonder what caused it. 

Thanks for the reply Kaiyo!

Ctrl-Alt-Del
DivyanshuArora

you need a new battery. your battery may be old or recycled , call lenovo tech at  877-453-6686, tell them its showing plugged in and not charging.  Your battery may cause trouble in future,

or other idea is , use it , use it  till you can,  and order a new one 3 weeks before your warranty expire.

Serial Port
madseason

You should have 6 or 12 month battery waranty, so call lenovo, or shop that you bought your laptop from, tell them you have a batery problem, if it is still on waranty they should replace it.
=============================================================================================
y460, i7 640m, 8GB 1066 CL-7, 80GB SSD Intel 310 pci-e + 500GB HDD WD, ATI 5650m + eGPU GTX 560 Ti 2GB GDDR5
Ctrl-Alt-Del
DivyanshuArora

it is a feature in y460 , it only charges when it goes below 80%.

This helps increasing battery life, as it charges one time for long,  instead of again and again charging , and reducing battery life.

That makes some sense.