Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
LHsu2
Accepted Solution

Y470 touchpad not working

I purchased my Y470 ideapad a little under a year ago and in general, it's been great. Within the past few weeks though, I've been having a lot of issues with the touchpad. The touchpad will either randomly stop working in the middle of a session or won't function when I turn on my computer. I tried Fn+F6 to toggle the touchpad on/off, but it has no effect. A plug-in usb mouse works, and sometimes if I restart my computer the touchpad will start working again, but there are no guarantees on when the touchpad will work. 

Any suggestions on how I can fix this problem? It's really annoying, and I'd rather not have to take my computer into a shop if I don't need to. I also hate having to carry around an exra mouse, seeing as I bought the laptop for portability in the first place.

Thanks!

tanujhanda
Topics: 3
Kudos: 80
Solutions: 65

Re: Y470 touchpad not working

Hello LHsu2 and welcome to community,

Kindly uninstall the touchpad driver and then reinstall the driver from Lenovo website and also update the BIOS

http://consumersupport.lenovo.com/in/en/driversdownloads/APR_Driver_List.aspx?CategoryID=658501&OS=0

If the issue persist then you can contact the support center.

Country or Region

Language

Telephone number

Hours of operation

Supported products

United States

English

1 877 453 6686

24 hours a day 7 days a week

IdeaPad, Lenovo 3000, IdeaCentre

Best Regards,

Tanuj

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution".! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

Paper Tape
LHsu2

Hi Tanuj,

Thank you for the response! My touchpad is working again after I reinstalled the touchpad driver. I used the link you gave me to update the BIOS, but I couldn't finish steps 8 and 9 on the update. How do I access the BIOS menu?

(Here are the download instructions I was using for reference: 

http://download.lenovo.com/UserFiles/Driver/en/Downloads%20and%20Drivers/Y470Y570/BIOS/47CN28WW/47CN...

Thank you

tanujhanda
Topics: 3
Kudos: 80
Solutions: 65

Hello LHsu2 

I am glad to know your issue get resolved. To access the BIOS you need to press F2 after you power on the laptop.

Best Regards,

Tanuj

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution".! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

Paper Tape
eliagrady

Having the same issue as the Topic owner.
Touchpad stops working in-mid session. Tried uninstalling and re-installing the software that you've provided here, also have the latest BIOS.

Still an issue.

Is there anything else I can do?

Blue Screen Again
bearacuda

I am having a similar problem.  I have tried updating the bios, I have tried installing the lenovo touchpad driver.  I have even gone as far as reformatting/reinstalling the OS from the system disks.  Still, the touchpad operation is not consistent.  I've also made sure it is not Fn+F6 causing the problem.  Right now in fact, the touchpad is not working.  I'm using an external BT mouse.  I google'd this problem and found a hit:

"

IdeaPad Y470 touchpad intermittent malfunction - Lenovo Support

SYMPTOM:IdeaPad Y470 touchpad malfunctioned intermittently. AFFECTED ... cable interface was plug-in card slot and the connecting cable was not fixed tightly.

"

at: support.lenovo.com › Support › Drivers & Software

But when I click on the link I get this message on a lenovo webpage:

"Sorry, this document is restricted to Lenovo Field Servicers and/or Call Center Agents only. Please login with the authorized credentials. Thank you."

Is there a hardware based reason, like a 'connecting cable NOT fixed tightly" that is responsible for this problem.  I hate being at meetings or giving a presentation not knowing if the touchpad is going to work this time.  Or when flying, there isn't enough room for a mouse.

I have lived with this problem for almost 6 months now.  I don't want to put up with it anymore.  This is not the quality I expected when purchasing a Lenovo brand laptop.

Thank you

Paper Tape
LHsu2

I tried all that as well. Turned out it was a loose cable. I was still under warranty, so Lenovo paid to ship it to the factory and get repaired. 

Good luck

Paper Tape
atoniolin

Hi guys! I have been using the Y470 for over 3 years now and have been plagued with Wifi and Trackpad malfunction for that period of time. 

The malfunction of trackpad was that it didn't respond to any touch regardless of 

1) reboot

2) reinstall Synaptics driver

3) alternating the Fn+F6

4) using Windows driver,

Wifi malfunction occured after an irregular period ranging from 5 minutes to 1 day of perfectly fine use to the Y470 totally not responding to the Wi-Fi adapter and no response when I click the Wi-Fi button or diagnose via Windows Troubleshooter. Turning the Wifi port on/off didn't work, the Fn+ F5 also didn't work. The magic solution was to reboot but that was annoying especially if you are working on documents or watching a movie.

I searched for all the solutions for more than 2 years now and finally I decided  that I'd have enough. So, I asked for 3 opinions and I decided to try using OneKey Recovery. (Lenovo Support was least helpful and insisted that I took the device in for Diagnostics. I was terribly disappointed with the lack of home-based support and I didn't want to pay for the Diagnostics and Repair.)

After backing up, I used OneKey Recovery and selected the System Recovery and did a full reformat. 

Unfortunately, the the Trackpad still didn't work at first, so I had to use the USB external wireless mouse.

The Wifi began to work flawlessly without disconnecting/drropout

I later discovered that the Wifi problem occured because I uninstalled the program called "Atheros Client Installation Program" because it looked like Assassin's Creed :smileytongue: and probably the Broadcom Gigabit Netlink Controller (you can check whether these programs are installed in Programs and Features). Full reformat with OneKey Recovery solved that issue on its own.

As for the trackpad, I went to Lenovo Support's website and downloaded Synaptics Pointing Device Driver for Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit, 64-bit) - IdeaPad Y470, Y570 from "http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS018459" Installing that program and letting Windows Update run a few times restored the full function of the Trackpad for me. I have been using it for 3 days now and it hasn't stopped once, even when I use the external USB wireless mouse.

Just to share, the version of Synaptics Pointing Device Driver that I am using is 15.3.31.1.

Let me know if this solution works so that I can share it around! :smileyhappy: Feel free to ask any questions.

Lenovo Y470 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2630QM CPU @2.00GHz | 4GB RAM | 64-Bit Windows Home Premium | NVIDIA GeForce GT 550M | since 08/2011 to present

Paper Tape
eliagrady

Had the same problem and I've been using a Wireless Logitech mouse ever since (like, for the last two years).

Gonna try out your recommendation, plus a clean installation of the Synaptics driver (Uninstall, reboot , install , reboot).

I'll post here with the results, but I must say I'm highly pessimistic here: I've been trying multiple OS, clean installations and it looks like a hardware issue (device manager doesn't recognize the interface when it's not working!!)

Cheers for the effort, regardless of the outcome.

Paper Tape
eliagrady

This is a definite hw problem. 

Lenovo engineers droped the ball on this model.

Gonna open up the bitch and do some magic. (spray some non-conducting plastic coating or something).

Cheers for your help though.