countrywise

Re: Y480 - Enabling Acceleration In Intel Rapid Storage Technology

[ Edited ]

Hi again ankhwatcher,

have you had a look at this ?

http://forum.notebookreview.com/8301023-post2526.html

this thread should give you some insight,

have a read,

http://forum.notebookreview.com/ideapad-essential/596474-ssd-rapiddrive-ideapad-y470-4.html

İf still no joy,then i certainly recommend that you ask  your question directly to the folks at:

geeks to go,    aumha     and windows 7 forums.

Let us know how you go.

Good luck

Punch Card
fischerms80

One the requirements is the sata controller be set to raid. Not going to happen on the y480. Bios choices are achi or compatible. If units shipping have the 32/64gb msata ssd installed then they have a different bios installed. They only way i see to use the OCZ Nocti 120gb Msata ssd that I installed is to reload the os to it. Some one have any other way? Tried the rapid drive link which installed fine but did not do anything.

Punch Card
fischerms80

Just got off the phone with tech support, It would appear you have to order the Y480 with the 32gb msata as it has the bios support for rapid drive. Y480's ordered with out the ssd option do not have the bios installed for rapid drive (raid).

Not a smart economic move. Ony option is to install the os on the msata device.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
ankhwatcher

"Just got off the phone with tech support, It would appear you have to order the Y480 with the 32gb msata as it has the bios support for rapid drive. Y480's ordered with out the ssd option do not have the bios installed for rapid drive (raid).

Not a smart economic move. Ony option is to install the os on the msata device." -fischerms80

Great, I've just bought a laptop from douchebags.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
ayansgp

I have an mSATA cache installed version. It has a special BIOS (not available online). It has a 36 in the version number. The latest available online is with 34 in the number. If you only run windows, this setup works good. But, if you plan to put another OS (linux) on it, the process gets really complicated due to the SSD cache. 

If anyone is flushing their BIOS, there is an utility from Insyde BIOS that will allow you to dump the old BIOS into a file at the time of flushing the BIOS. If I ever want to turn off my SSD cache, at that time I might dump out the special BIOS.

All the SSD cache directions for y470 seem INVALID on y480. 

Paper Tape
Draghmar

Could you dump your BIOS and attached it here? I will try get it from Lenovo if there is no other option but it can be difficult if they didn't put it already. Stupid move from their side. :/ If I won't succeed with turning on Intel Smart Response then I will probably return Y580 and get something from competition where there are no such a stupid issues.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
ayansgp

If I try to play with BIOS, the laptop may turn into a brick and Lenov will crap on warranty if that happens. I would wait a few more months to see if someone has done BIOS upgrade/downgrade successfully.

If anyone is interested in swapping with my Y480, I might be interested as I don't run windows that much and this SSD cache thing is a pain to bypass while using linux. 

802.11n
link626

http://support.lenovo.com/en_IL/research/hints-or-tips/detail.page?&LegacyDocID=12870415982811

i just dug this up to bump this thread.

if you follow the above instructions, can you get rapiddrive to work?

Hey,

There is something missing here....

I bought a machine with 1TB HDD + 32GB SSD. After trying to upgrade to Win 8 and then getting a BSOD I have gone to BIOS and fond that there is only AHCI and legacy option no RAID option at all.

What am I missing....

How does one find the version of the BIOS 

Thanks.....

Ideapad Y 580
Core i7 3630, 8Gb 1600Mhz, 1TB HDD + 32GB mSata SSD, 1920x1080.... BDRW.....
Win 7 for now ......... till Lenovo gives us Rapid Drive on Win 8 ;-)
Serial Port
DarthXBlade

The bios on the y 500 y400 480 and y580 is locked the only way to enable ssd caching is to get a modded bios meaning the bios is unlocked and the advance options are enabled google it