Support in other languages: 
Serial Port
mikepasta
Accepted Solution

Y510 BIOS update problem

I downloaded and tried to install the BIOS update that was just posted and ran into the following: "Read File Error!" and "Unable to recover the BIOS ROM contents" and after I hit <Enter> "System will continue to POST". The first thing I thought was a corrupt download/extraction. I deleted the download and the extracted file and re-downloaded the file with the same result. I did notice that the file that is extracted to the C: drive is 06CN29WW.ROM, which is newer that the installed 06CN22WW. But, it is dated 2007/4/15 14:47, not 2008/4/15. And yes, my system date & time are correct. Any ideas?? I have the Y510 with Vista SP1 and the T2330 with 2 GB RAM and 160 GB HDD model. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! 
Beer... It does a body good!
Fanfold Paper
A30N

Re: Y510 BIOS update problem

I have the same issue as well. I thought perhaps it was an NTFS permissions issue, so I changed the permissions on the file allowing anyone full control of the file. Didn't work. I tried putting the file in another partition, no luck there either. I'm going to resize one of my NTFS partitions and setup a FAT32 partition in the free space, and post the results later tonight.
Paper Tape
maurochss

A30N,

That is correct i created a partition of 20MB (i even labeled BIOSUPD) this partition is FAT (just FAT i went to the lowest level) and it worked properly.

Other think that i would like to ask (if you are running VISA Home Pemium).

Does your computer hangs from time to time while you are working?!

PS: If you can test with FAT32 and post the results it would be great.

Regards,
MChSS
Fanfold Paper
zcache

Hi,
I have same the problem. and last I tries again with usb floppy disk, everything work fine I can update the bios... hooooray!
Fanfold Paper
steelydb

Had the exact same problem when I tried updating my BIOS yesterday (4/17).  If this is really as "critical" as Lenovo states, they should take note and immediately fix the file so it works properly with the flash utility.  Consumers should never have to jump through risky technical hoops to perform something as basic as a BIOS update.
What's DOS?
Baynesy

Hi All,

I am having the exact same problem with the BIOS update. Can anyone assist with a solution that does not involve creating new patitions etc. This should not be a complex process as is currently.

Any assistance greatly appreciated.

Cheers!
Punch Card
Hawk521

[ Edited ]
The update ROM file I extracted was indeed dated 04/17/2007 which must be a mistake as the BIOS level was higher than the installed BIOS on my Y510.

At any rate, it installed without incident on my Y510 just now.  Winflash setup the install and showed me the installed version BIOS info as well as the update file version info.  It next forced a reboot which proceded to erase the bios, reflash it, and verify the reflash.  Took a few minutes for the whole process.  Have not seen any obvious changes - but then I wasn't having any problem that I was aware of.

Anybody know what the bios actually changes?

Message Edited by Hawk521 on 04-20-2008 03:50 PM
Serial Port
mikepasta

[ Edited ]
"Lenovo has released a new system BIOS update to address an issue with the Mobile Intel 965 Express Chipset (as reported in the Intel 965 Express Chipset Specification Update). Lenovo is providing this BIOS update to eliminate a potential source of unexpected system behavior or memory error within the Lenovo notebook products below. In order to ensure the long term reliability of your Lenovo notebook computer, it is highly recommended that all users update their system with this new BIOS."

Got this from the site.

Message Edited by mikepasta on 04-20-2008 06:41 PM
Beer... It does a body good!
Fanfold Paper
A30N

[ Edited ]
maurochss: my Y510 did come with Vista Home Premium, however, I had a licensed copy of Vista Business, which I get for free for being a Computer Science Major at my college, and I used the Vista optimization program "vLite" to trim the fat off of Vista and pre-integrate SP1. I have had no hanging issues, actually, although I am a linux fan, I'm rather surprised that I've run Vista for more than a month without a reboot except for suspend to RAM, and I haven't had any problems. Everyone else: you will have to load the ROM image from a fresh partition, at least until they fix the flashing program. If you're using Vista, all you have to do is right-click on My Computer and select 'manage'. When the Computer Management console loads up, click on Disk Management and then select a partition you feel comfortable with. You can shrink it, then create a new partition in the free space, and format it with ntfs. Extract the BIOS ROM image on that new partition and reboot your computer. Hit F4 to start the flashing process.

Message Edited by A30N on 04-20-2008 10:53 PM
Punch Card
Hawk521

[ Edited ]
On our first Y510 bios upgrade I used the Winflash program (found in the Utility program folder) that came pre-installed on the Y510 Home Premium Edition machines we purchased.  Chaulk this up to not reading the instructions.  Yet it upgraded without any problem at all.

On the second machine, after actually reading the online instructions, an attempt was made to upgrade using the F4 option as documented and the update failed.  Since the Winflash approach had worked on the first machine this was again tried on the second Y510.  It upgraded without any problem as well.

So - it may well be that on the Y510 you can readily upgrade the BIOS with the Winflash utility, but for unknown reason(s) the F4 key invoked bios update is not working properly.  Your mileage may vary - but I thought it worth noting since this is quite simple to try if your machine also included the Winflash utility.

Note:  The Winflash utility appears to simply setup the bios update and then forces a re-boot where the actual bios update occurs.  Be patient with the update process as it appears to make multiple passes to erase the old bios and then writes and verifies the updated bios.  I am not sure what makes this Winflash approach work while the manual F4 key update fails.  But do not look a gift horse in the mouth!  lol

Good luck.

Message Edited by Hawk521 on 04-21-2008 06:27 AM