Support in other languages: 
Mark_Lenovo
Topics: 408
Kudos: 1,277
Solutions: 276

Re: Y510 Hinge Problem :( !!!!

All,

If you sent me a PM for help in the last 2 weeks and I've not responded, could you please resend? 

My PM inbox was cleared this week and some messages were lost.

I would again advise members to please contact service if they have trouble with the hinges.  Standard warranty terms apply, but there may always be exceptional circumstances and I believe service will fairly review cases as appropriate.

Best regards

Mark

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
www.twitter.com/lenovoforums
www.facebook.com/lenovo

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

Paper Tape
apurva

Hi Mark,

I am facing the same issue of a broken hinge. There have been no accidents or dropping cases with my laptop. It simply refused to open one fine day. I called customer support in Bangalore, India and they say my laptop is out of warranty (which is according to the manufacturing date).

They have told me to contact the service center and pay out of my own pocket, or to get warranty extension, after which they will repair it. This is clearly a product/design failure and should be repaired free of charge by Lenovo.

Can you please help me in this regard?

Regards

Apurva

Serial Port
mikepasta

I now have the dreaded hinge problem. I have never droppped nor abused my system. In fact, because of the issues with the Y510, I have taken EXTREMELY good care of it. Now this! I called support, but of course my system is out of warranty, so I was told that I would have to pay $49.00 for the call and shipping (if I were to send the unit in) and at least an additional $150 to repair the hinge, more if they found other problems. $200 minimum to repair an obvious design/manufacturer flaw! I only paid $700 for the system to begin with! This issue REALLY needs to be addressed. C'mon Lenovo, please address the hinge problem, too many people are having this problem!

Beer... It does a body good!
What's DOS?
parixit14

Ideapad y510 right hinge broken

Hi

I have ideapad y510. My right hinge is also broken. My laptop warranty just expired in july. then I read the posts regarding broken right hinge, then come to know that's not I am alone having this problem. So is there anyone can help me how to fix it?

Punch Card
bloodwynd

Re: Ideapad y510 right hinge broken

Have you already called Tech support?  Since it looks like a design issue, they must have reviewed the policy by now and have acted on the problem accordingly.

Try calling support, and see what they could do to help you with the broken hinge problem.

http://techsupportgeeks.com
Serial Port
mikepasta

[ Edited ]

bloodwynd,

TS's reply is that they will ONLY fix systems under warranty. As stated in my post above, they will only fix the hinge problem for a minimum of $200 ($49 when you call for the phone support, and at least $150 for the hinge repair only, more if they fix anything else.) The $49 fee does include shipping. I was on the phone with TS yesterday, and while they acknowledge that the hinge problem is widespread, they will not fix it unless you pay for it (unless the hinge breaks during warranty period, of course).

Beer... It does a body good!
Punch Card
bloodwynd

mikepasta,

Thanks for the info.  But it seems that not all tech support is updated.  A friend of mine in the US had the same problem with the Y510 having the hinge and bottom cover failing, and he was able to get an exemption.  That was about 3 days ago.

Anyway, let me ask my friend what tech support had him do.  He is also well beyong the warranty for the system and yet he did not pay anything to have the hinge problem repaired.  Mind you that his problem was only the hinges and the bottom plastic cover.

By the way, from what Center were you able to reach tech support?

http://techsupportgeeks.com
Paper Tape
srilakshmi

I purchased the Lenovo Y510 in Jan 2008 and now i am facing this Hinge problem.The Laptop is India and out of Warranty period.The Lenovo Support Center TechMarc Solutions says they would do this on charge of Rs 21,000.But since this was a defect in this model and we didnt cause this problem wouldnt Lenovo do this with no extra cost.Please let me know whom I should contact in India for the same.You help is appreciated.
Paper Tape
tennis_mutt

[ Edited ]

Second time the right hinge has broken the screws thru the bottom side of my Y510. 

Purchased the computer in May of 2008 and right hinge broke in Sept 2008 which they repaired under warranty, had the computer back within a week which was very good service.  However, In August of 2009 had the exact same problem again but now they tell me that the warranty is expired and I will have to pay for the repair.  There must be a design flaw with the case that has not been fixed for it to happen a second time.  The repair is 50$ plus shipping both ways, which is not terrible.  But if it is going to happen every few months it will be a problem.  Has anyone had any success trying to fix this on there own?

UPDATE:

Called Lenovo back and they said that they would repair it for free because it was the second time and was only 1 month out of warranty.  They sent me a box to return it in and I sent it out on 09/08 and had it back repaired on 09/16.  That is good fast with the shipping both ways.  Lenovo service has responded well for me,  but we will see if the hinge holds up this time.  There is a real problem with these hinges and it is a shame to lose a laptop for a cheep piece of plastic.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
donkey_

I had right hinge broken in my y510 and had it repaired by my friend who is an it technician and from time to time repairs broken laptops. Orleando's photos posted before were very helpful (check in thread)(great thanks for Him again :smileyhappy: ). Only right hinge was repaired using some alluminium paste (Orleando was using epoxy). It cost me an equivalent of about 25 dollars (in Poland).

I've been using laptop since the beginning of August. It's working properly. No cracks.

Good luck on your hinges :smileyhappy: