Support in other languages: 
What's DOS?
kegsd

Re: Y510 Hinge

I am amazed by the lack of customer support from the Lenovo call center in the Philippines.  I too have experienced the defective hinge and apparently missed the "cut-off" to have my laptop repaired by TWO DAYS!  According to Manny, the "supervisor" they have to stop fixing this defect for free at some point and I was unlucky enough to be one of those customers.  I asked Manny if my car as a manufacturer defect, does it matter if it's out of warranty?  He didn't have an answer and REFUSED to let me speak with his supervisor! 

This is probably the sixth laptop I have had for personal use and I have never had to replace one due to defective manufacturing.  I am astounded by the lack of customer service.  I bought this computer on a recommendation of a friend who works at Best Buy...how many more Lenovos do you think he will be selling?  Bad move Lenovo...

Punch Card
makedonka

Any solution or idea how to fix this cracks on the right hinge ? I was extremely gentle with my Y510, and now it sits on a desk open all the time because I'm afraid to close it and make cracks worse.

Mark_Lenovo
Topics: 408
Kudos: 1,276
Solutions: 275

Makedonka,

At this point, if you are out of warranty, you can either try to repair it yourself, or you can contact service and Lenovo can repair this for a fee.  It might be worth a call to get a price quote for the repair.

If you decide to check into it yourself, can you tell if the hinge itself has failed or where it attaches to the bottom cover?.  Earlier in the thread, some members had  a write up and link to pics on how they were able to use epoxy to glue the screw bosses back in place in the lower cover and to strengthen them.  After the expoxy cured, they were able to re-assemble.   If the hinge itself is broken, I'm not sure what to advise as presently we don't sell the parts individually. 

Best regards,

Mark

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
www.twitter.com/lenovoforums
www.facebook.com/lenovo

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

What's DOS?
kegsd

Well, it only took a week and a few hours on the phone but, I finally found CUSTOMER Service at Lenovo.  The people in the Philippines were quick to point of they were Warranty Service, not Customer Service and they were right on!  Thankfully, once I made the right connection, I found my US based CSR very helpful and the manufacturers defect on my laptop computer will be repaired at no cost to me.  I can go back to recommending Lenovo to family and friends! 

Punch Card
makedonka

[ Edited ]

Dear Mark,

I appreciate your reply.  My Y510 is out of warranty and I'm aware that have to pay for repair.  The problem is, there's no any authorized Lenovo service in my country Macedonia.  The shop where I bought my laptop gave me one year warranty and two years of free service. I can give my Y510 to them and maybe they can glue it.

The hinge itself  is not broken yet, only the plastic on the back is open where the hinge is and the plastic is cracked near the screw on the bottom.http://img22.imageshack.us/g/crackedplasticy.jpg/

Q: Will glue help or it will open and break  :smileysad: ? Or if you could help me and  find out is there any Lenovo support service in Skopje,Macedonia, I'll be more then happy to contact them.

Regards,

Sonja

Fanfold Paper
vik_rockin

Re: Y510 Hinge Problem :( !!!!

I had the hinge of my laptop replaced last May under warranty since it was making a crackling sound. But just today, while opening my laptop the case of my laptop opened up near the hinge that was replaced last year. My laptop is not under warranty anymore. So will Lenovo fix it since it is a design issue? What do I do in this situation?

Blue Screen Again
n1xan

Re: Y510 Hinge Problem :( !!!!

Hello,everyone! i bought my Lenovo Y510 one year and a half ago.I found this forum right after i ordered it and i was worried i`ll have all the problems discussed in here: camera not working,sound  unbalanced,hinge broken, and so on,but fortunately i did not meet any of them :smileyhappy: the machine serves me great and i have no complaints at all :smileyhappy:
i`m writing this for users like me who are just waiting for their hinge to fall apart...
-First  I think that it`s the way you open the laptop that will save you from having troubles.As far as i read there are users with both right or left hinge broken.I think that it depends on that where you hold the lid while opening (right or left) so that the force is applied on one of the hinges more that on the other.Ever since the first opening i am trying to put my fingers IN THE MIDDLE of the lid,around the webcam,so that the force is equally applied.
-Second thing that i did and i think worked out was to put some oil into the hinges(in my case oil for hair trimmer)

after oiling them the lid seemed to open more easily :smileyhappy:

I hope that i was useful for someone with this post,good luck repairing hinges,everyone

Paper Tape
edmicman

IdeaPad Y510 broken screen / hinge along bezel edge

[ Edited ]

I have a Y510 that is starting to crack and separate along the angled edge of the screen, as shown in the picture below. It's not really on the hinge, it's just coming apart where the edge angles...it's to the point where I can't really even shut or adjust the laptop screen because moving it just makes it worse. I've checked and the laptop serial number is out of warranty.

Is there any way to contact Lenovo support other than a phone call? I'd really like to email them a picture of this, or know better how to describe it. I'm doubting that if I call and refer to it as a "broken hinge" I'm not going to get anywhere and it's out of warranty anyway.

Do I have any options available to fix this? Any possibilities that Lenovo will fix it free of charge? Nothing has happened to the laptop, this just started to develop after normal use. Personally I think it's a design flaw from the way it feels. Is there anything I can do or am I looking at having to get a new laptop??

Paper Tape
edmicman

Re: IdeaPad Y510 broken screen / hinge along bezel edge

Ahhh, I see my message got modded and moved into this thread, with a million other messages that no one will ever go through :-)

It isn't really the hinge that's busted on mine, though....the hinge is fine, it's the actual screen bezel that's breaking.  Anyone else deal with that?

Fanfold Paper
kirtimanu

Re: IdeaPad Y510 broken screen / hinge along bezel edge

We are all facing the same problem and Lenovo is not doing anything about it.

In INDIA I have been given an estimate of approx $ 300 which is quite unfair....................but there you are. In my case also the hinge is probably stuck due to which there is a strain on the chassis that is making it crack at the corner scews. I wish there was  some way.