Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
J50
Fanfold Paper
J50

Re: My right hinge and case just cracked after 2-years

[ Edited ]

This is the second time my hinge broke on me.

Initially half a year after buying the laptop, the hinge broke looking the same as in djonepl's pictures.  It was under warranty and lenovo fixed it with great customer support.

Now a year and a 1/2 later the hinge broke again.  The problem looks the same as before.  Will lenovo fix this for me?  Its a common defect, not self inflicted.

In my previous dealing with Lenovo, the customer support proved to be incredible to the other computer companies out there.  They fixed the problem prefectly and actually spoke english.  Will they help me out of warranty?

What's DOS?
wbanerjee

Unfortunately I have had horrible experience dealing with Lenovo technical support.

I have an Ideapad Y510, never dropped it, no physical damage whatsoever....same problem with the hinge ..and I figured out by some googling that its a common problem for the Ideapad series, contacted Lenovo support long back...(around 3rd september last year)...after i called them i was advised to provide a proof of purchase in an email to the program supervisor in Philippines, which I did...and never heard from them after that. I have written them a follow up email as well, they never replied back, neither did they call me.

I definitely need a proper working laptop for my everyday work , and in due course of regular usage (with the same broken hinge) now the LCD has come off the hinge and is sort of hanging from the main chassis. I dont know what else to do other than throwing it away now, it is such a great laptop, amazing config., great performance but whats the point if a customer waits for eternity just to get a reply for a support call? The first time I called i was advised that someone from Lenovo Australia will soon call me and collect the laptop for repair...that, never happened.

I have been advised by a lot of people to take this up with consumer affairs, but unfortunately I dont think I have time to go through all that. Too bad for me, didnt get the level of customer support I expected....too bad an experience. But the laptop was amazing itself.

Dont know if anyone from Lenovo can throw some light on this, am not trying to blame anything, buts its just very frustrating. Next time I buy a laptop I might as well check how good they are in attending to support calls.

Fanfold Paper
jhumroo

Update on my laptop.

I decided to call Lenovo and see what they would say about fixing the laptop.

The first guy who answered gave me the standard response that it was out of warranty; also that had it happened 6-months ago it would have been fixed because Lenovo had a directive that extended the hinge-fix for 6-months over the 1-year warranty. But unfortunately since my laptop hinge broke after 2-years, I was out-of luck!

He said it would cost $167 to fix the hinge, because they don't stock the parts and have to order it from the manufacturer :smileysad:

I asked if I could talk to a supervisor, he transferred me to one; she pretty much had the same response. I told her I should not be penalized for having taken better care of my laptop and the hinge not breaking sooner. This was a well known problem, and it was no way to retain good paying customers.

She said the only thing she could do was escalate the issue and someone from Customer Care would call me back in 2-3 days. So now I wait to see if they'll call and what they'll say.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed, hoping they do the right thing and fix the hinge.

Punch Card
suertecrew

Lenovo had a recall??!!

Although Lenovo was good enought to fix my Y510, I am now afraid to close and open it more than once a week after hearing all the horror stories about case cracking again after repairs.

Maybe Lenovo can just exchange my Y510 for Thinkpad X100e?   Or I can do with a discount.  It's the brand I  have known to be reliable and  and they still use the trackpoint along with a touchpad and a full array of buttons.   My X31 still works even if I need to replace the LCD screen because of a narrow non-functioning strip or portion.  It's been with me since 2004, so 6 years running, whicle the Y510 went haywire after 2.  

Fanfold Paper
jhumroo

[ Edited ]

So I got a call from Lenovo today, apparently from the highest authority with the decision to make an exception. And the final verdict was, no they will not fix the hinge even though it's a know problem. Very disappointing.

I was told I could write to their Executive offices and complain.

Lenovo Executive Offices
1009 Think Place
Morrisville, NC 27560

But the bottom-line is they don't stand behind their defective products.

This is the exact opposite of a recent experience I had with an Apple product which was out of warranty, but since it was a known defect, they went out of their way to get it fixed at no cost to me.

Guess, which company I'll be recommending to my friends and colleagues from now on.

Paper Tape
dkorney

Re: Y510 Hinge Problem :( !!!!

Another day...and my hinge is still broken.  Thank you, Lenovo, for treating your customers with such disrespect!

J50
Fanfold Paper
J50

you would think someone from lenovo would have addressed the last 3 lages of this thrend by now...

JaneL

J50 wrote:

you would think someone from lenovo would have addressed the last 3 lages of this thrend by now...

Welcome to the forum!

While there are a few Lenovo employees in here helping out on a volunteer basis, this is not an official support channel with dedicated Lenovo support personnel assigned to it. Instead, this is designed to be a user-to-user support and discussion forum. You may or may not get an answer directly from one of the Lenovo employees as there are way more of us than them and all of them, even Mark, have full-time jobs doing other things.

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Jane

ThinkPad Slate, T410s, X301, X200 Tablet, T60p, HP TouchPad, iPad Air 2, iPhone 5S, IdeaTab A2107A, Yoga Tablet, Yoga 3 Pro
I am not a Lenovo Employee.
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

JaneL

Paper Tape
singhaln

Dear Mr.. Mark,

I am in the same boat.:womansad: I love my lenovo y510 laptop its my anniversary gift , today when I came back from office . I open my laptop. I heard some sound .. I didn't notice,, then suddenly screen start falling ,then I saw same from right hand side , there got some crack ,, and If I close my screen it opens more.. I am scared ,, I don't want to loose this laptop. I tried to call customer service but no response . Please tell me how to fix it.I am too upset . I hope this forum will help me too.

My laptop model number is 7758

thanks for considering my case in advance

Neha Singhal