Support in other languages: 
Punch Card
nat0snake

Re: Lenovo Technicians damaged my laptop!

Thnaks for your help as well andyP     
amv
What's DOS?
amv

Y510 hinge broken

I bought my notebook only last March.  It's practically just sitting in my room 24 hours a day 7 days a week.  Didn't notice that something was wrong with it until last week when I tried to close it (as per normal), that something suddently snap/craked.  I was shocked to see that the hinge near the volume control has broken.  It's still working perfectly as far as I'm concerned but I really hate seeing that broken hinge.  The notebook was not a cheap buy so this is really frustrating. I'm afraid the damage could also get worse as everytime I close it, there's a clicking sound. Now, I have to send it for repair and they're telling me that it needs to be tested to prove that it's not customer induce damage, else I need to pay for the repair.  I guess this is just a standard procedure for them but I really hope this test is reliable as I've never done anything to damage it.  I sincrely hope they will also be able to fix it properly in the soonest possible time.  I'm from Melbourne and the service center seems to be located in another state, in NSW. 
Punch Card
nat0snake

Re: Y510 hinge broken

Yeah Good luck with that.  The last time I sent mine in for a broken hinge my laptop came back damaged.
Bit Torrent
wjli2

Send it in, call Lenovo support in Australia, log a service call, depending on warranty a courier come to your house and pick up the machine, it will be delivered to Solectron in Sydney in the same day. The turn around time is around 5 working days.
amv
What's DOS?
amv

Thanks for the replies.  I'll make sure to take pictures of my notebook before sending it to the service centre as aside from the broken hinge, it looks fine overall.  Thanks wjli2 for the info as well.
Punch Card
nat0snake

UPDATE To Lenovo Technicians damaged my laptop.

[ Edited ]

Dear Lenovo community

I just got off the phone with support and they told me they replaced the top and bottom case but not the screen.  After my messages to Mark_Lenovo I began looking at my laptop closer to check to see if any other damaged has occured.  I noticed that their where scratch marks below the Lenovo logo on the screen and two fairly light scratch marks on the screen.  Now I don't think i'm being picky here.  When I bought this laptop I had the inticipation that I would get a working laptop.  This did not happen.  The hinge replacement went fairly smoothly and I reliezed that these things happen.  That is why they make support.  After getting the laptop back after the hinge replacement it came back damaged.  Contacting  support again they agreed to replace it.  After getting off the phone again I was told that the top and bottom cases were fixed.  Which was not fixed was the screen.  In the paper they gave me in the shipping box it had an area to explain the problems with the laptop.  I explained the dents in the front, the scratch mark along the touch media buttons and the scratch marks below the Lenovo logo.  Now why is it that the screen was left untouched?  All I want out of this laptop is it to work as expected and when things do go wrong not having to call back service again because they damaged it.  Is that really to much to ask?

What do you guys think?

**FIRST MESSAGE ABOUT LENOVO TECHNICIANS DAMAGED MY LAPTOP**

I sent my almost brand new lenovo y510 into lenovo because the hinge broke.  A couple days ago I recieved the laptop back but immidately noticed something was wrong as I took the laptop out of the box.  The plastic at the front of the laptop had been dented in a couple of spots.  While that was kind of annoying I got even more annoyed when I opened the laptop.  The ideapad logo next to the keyboard was peeling off and had scratch marks around it.  And there was a pretty deep scratch mark running from about 1 cm on the glossy touch media button to the top of the keyboard.  This is really annoying to me because I know when I sent it in none of these problems were there.  Should I give lenovo a call back?  Do you think they will do anything about it?

Message Edited by nat0snake on 09-05-2008 11:18 PM
Message Edited by nat0snake on 09-05-2008 11:19 PM
JaneL

Re: UPDATE To Lenovo Technicians damaged my laptop.

nat0snake wrote:

Now why is it that the screen was left untouched?

I went back and reviewed the edit history for your original message.  This is the first mention of a problem with the screen itself.  Even in this latest message you said:

In the paper they gave me in the shipping box it had an area to explain the problems with the laptop.  I explained the dents in the front, the scratch mark along the touch media buttons and the scratch marks below the Lenovo logo.

So I'm confused about why you're confused about what they repaired.

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Jane

ThinkPad Slate, T410s, X301, X200 Tablet, T60p, HP TouchPad, iPad 4, iPhone 5S, IdeaTab A2107A, Yoga Tablet
I am not a Lenovo Employee.
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Punch Card
nat0snake

Re: UPDATE To Lenovo Technicians damaged my laptop.

nonny wrote:

nat0snake wrote:

Now why is it that the screen was left untouched?

I went back and reviewed the edit history for your original message.  This is the first mention of a problem with the screen itself.  Even in this latest message you said:

In the paper they gave me in the shipping box it had an area to explain the problems with the laptop.  I explained the dents in the front, the scratch mark along the touch media buttons and the scratch marks below the Lenovo logo.

So I'm confused about why you're confused about what they repaired.

Scratch marks below the lenovo logo on the screen itself.  You know where it says lenovo on the screen when you have the laptop open?  Below that normally its glossy black plastic but instead you can see a line of white scratch marks.

Paper Tape
Schwe

Y510 Screen / Hinge Problem

Hi folks.. I purchased my Lenovo Y510 this summer 2008. For the most part, it has run wonderfully. The face recognition never worked properly and was a major annoyance, so I disabled it. Since then I've had no complaints.. until now.

The hinge of my laptop seems to be either extremely loose or broken. Unless open at a perfect 90 degree angle, the screen will slam back and will not stay up. The laptop has not been dropped nor incurred any kind of trauma (that I am aware of).

Is there an explanation for this? Is this an easy fix? The Y510 is still under warranty through Lenovo and the store I purchased it from (extended warranty). My main concern is that if this requires a major repair, I will be without my lapop for a period of time, and I use it for taking notes during lecture.

Thanks in advance,

L

Retired Guru
skripatch

Re: Y510 Screen / Hinge Problem

You'll have to fix it in SC. It will take time.
//help will save the world