Support in other languages: 
Fanfold Paper
binni_23

Re: Y510 Hinge Problem :( !!!!

I have the same hinge problem..My warranty expired june 2009 ..When i contact service centre they  tell me to upgrade warranty..I dont know what to do.How much will it cost to repair this problem..Or is there any exchange offer is there to replace my laptop
What's DOS?
disapppointed

Wow! The right hinge failed (cracked) two days out of warranty. I called customer service, and they wanted to sell me an extended warranty. Since the machine had not been dropped, I asked to speak to a supervisor, who said the best thing that he could do was to refer it to the Customer Relations Team. After speaking with the tech and his supervisor, I then googled and found this forum. So it is a manufacturing defect. I trust that Lenovo will make good on their product. This is the first Lenovo that I have purchased.

Paper Tape
Ruweg

I was "fortunate" that my case cracked at the hinge a couple of weeks before the warranty expired.  Lenovo took care of it with no problem.  Since it's a design flaw, they should take care of all the hinge case cracks whether in warranty or not at least for two years.  I would think they'd be happy to do this for the sake of their company reputation.  
What's DOS?
shyguycalif

[ Edited ]

This is Ridiculous!! So many people having exactly same issue. Even my cheap dell from 1994 does not have thse issues. 

I had the same issue just few minutes back.... I trie to opened by laptop and saw the right hinge cracked. I search online and found so many people here having same issue.

I think Lenovo should fix the DEFECTIVE part. My laptop just went out of warranty 2 weeks back. This is not acceptable!!

Moderator Note; comment edited which did not conform with the forum rules.

Message Edited by andyP on 08-14-2009 07:59 AM
Paper Tape
axmen2

It is sad really that Lenovo will not fix a defective product. The right hinge is shot on my Y510.

No one from Lenovo seems to want to fix it. Talked to tech support, sent a letter to their headquarters.... Tech support said..out of warranty... NO response from their headquarters.

Guess they really do not CARE about their reputation.

SAD.....

What's DOS?
disapppointed

No movement yet on my hinge problem. A gentleman did call form the Customer Relations Team; however, I missed his call.

I returned the call and got his voicemail message. I am hoping for the best ...

Mark_Lenovo
Topics: 408
Kudos: 1,276
Solutions: 275

Disappointed,

Apologies that the rep missed you - I'm sure they will try again, or try giving them a call.  If you feel stuck, shoot me a PM and I'll follow up on your case.

Shyguycalif,

Try giving service a call on this and see if they can help you - we tend to look at outside the warranty period claims on a case by case basis.  If you need help on this, please send me a PM - I'll need your contact info - name, address, phone and the system serial number from the bottom of the unit - ABUxxxxxxx

Axemen2,

Sorry to hear that you are having trouble as well - I would offer you the same advise as shyguy...

I can assure you that Lenovo does care about the satisfaction of our customers.

Best regards,

Mark

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
www.twitter.com/lenovoforums
www.facebook.com/lenovo

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

Paper Tape
brian1309

Dear Mark,
Firstly I would like to introduce my self and our company my details are as bellow, we are a notebook repair center and courier out repairs for extended warranty for **bleep** Smith Electronics.
I am disappointed in the support Lenovo offers for spare parts in Australia or should I say Lack of spare parts.
Lenovo Australia is of no help at all. When we call the and ask for spare parts we get transferred to the US only to be told that yes we can supply Canada and the US but we have not found a way to to support Australia.
I at this time have 5 Lenovo Y510 units that are just out of warranty and are covered by extended warranty and they all have the same LCD hinge problem.
After spending 2 hour on hold and on the phone to try to find a way to get the parts to Australia I was finally emailed by someone from Lenovo with there solution.
THE SOLUTION WAS SORRY WE CAN'T BUT YOU CAN TRY TO LOOK ON EBAY FOR THE PARTS.
This is a poor solution of a company that sells there products in Australia and then dos not support there products as soon as the warranty runs out.
If there is any way to purchase the bottom and top casings directly from the US or any other part of the world for that matter please let me know as it is a shame to throw out a 13 months old notebook due to a bit of plastic.
Best Regards,
Brian.
Dandenong North, Vic. 3175
Phone: 61 3 9790-5111 Fax: 61 3 9790-5222
Email brian@notebooksolutions.com.au
Paper Tape
ranchstyle05

Hello fellow mourners of the broken hinge.  I started hearing a slight crack when I would open my Y510, then yesterday looked down and saw that the hinge was causing the casing to split open.  I contacted service, but wouldn't you know that my warranty ran out a month ago.  They directed me to the parts number 1-800-426-7834. Bummer!  I would gladly purchase the warranty now! Everything else about my laptop is wonderful, but I definitely did not expect the plastic/mechanics of it to fail after a year of sitting on my desk and being opened/closed no more than 2 times per day.  I hate to plea to you Mark, but it seems to be the only way to solve my problem. 

Paper Tape
replynandha

I noticed that my Y510 also has right hinge broken and is cracking up the base cover. Unfortunately my warrant just expired - in jul 16th 2009 !

Initially I felt very bad and when googled about how to fix it, stumbled upon this forum Looks like IT IS is a design issue and so many people are affected..the breakage description and photos posted in this forum match with mine.

I called lenovo support immediately and they have a case created.

Of course they were saying that I will have to pay out of my pocket . Very bad, esp when it is such a wide spread issue and a hot topic in this forum

It will be great if some one can help me please !!!!