Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
Santhana

Re: Y510 - Replacing Hinges....Howto

I replaced the hinges fine. BUT, in the process, looks like I damaged the thin wires running under the right hinge! When I move those wires, the laptop shuts down. I am in the process of diagnosing which wire is cut. Then I need to figure out how to repair/replace the damaged wire.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
brewmasterthis

Re: Y510 - Replacing Hinges....Howto

I recently got requests to clarify how to remove the hinges in step 12 of my instructions.  I was able to wiggle the hinges out from underneath the screen without totally removing it.  After removing the screws on the side, I believe the screen slides down and then can be tilted away from the hinges allowing the brackets underneath to come out.

As I mentioned, you must be EXTREMELY careful how you route the wires that go around the hinges. If not too late, take a good look at how the wires are routed BEFORE you remove the old hinges so you have a good mental picture that you can replicate. Once you replaced your hinges and routed your wires, slowly close your laptop to check that the wires are not being pinched, stretched or stressed in any way.  Stop before any permanent damage occurs if you see a problem!  If things look good, open and close the lid several times just to be 100% sure before reassembling the laptop.  I cannot stress how important this is.  For the folks who had smoking chips,/hinges/wires because of wire pinching, I do not have any answers since I am not a tech repairman.

For newcomers to this thread, step by step instructions are on page 63 (link below)
http://forum.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Y-U-V-and-Z-series/Y510-Hinge-Problem/m-p/348765/highlight/true#M...

Paper Tape
tommy668

Lenovo Y 510 Screws and Hinge

Hi guys, i have a lenovo y 510 i bought in early 2008 new. I also had the hinge problem in early 2009 and luckily it was still in warranty and sent it in to get it fixed. Well the hinge broke again and this is after i rarely close my hinge anymore just leaving it open and putting it to sleep. Of course if i went some where with it, the lid got closed but that was quite rare.  What i did was unscrew all the little screws at the bottom and when i went to open and close the lid with screws out the stuck hinge seemed to go away.I then put all the screws back in BUT THEN I CANT SEEM TO GET THE CORRECT SCREWS BACK IN THE CORRECT HOLES AS SOME SCREWS ARE DIFFERENT FROM OTHERS. cAN SOMEONE SHOW THE CORRECT ORDER OF SCREWS AND HOLES. ALSO I HAVE 2 SCREWS LEFT OVER AND I CANT SEEM TO FIND ANYMORE HOLES. I think my lenovo y 510 are the earlier models with squarish body and the linen texture lid.

Paper Tape
amsdhami

Re: Broken hinges for Ideapad y510

[ Edited ]

Hi, Mark I have run out of warranty for my Y510. I have broken hinges but I have not abused my Y510 at all. Is there any hope for me getting free repairs in India. Please help.

Mark_Lenovo
Topics: 410
Kudos: 1,311
Solutions: 284

Re: Broken hinges for Ideapad y510

[ Edited ]

All,

If you are replacing hinges on the Y510 or Y530 yourself, this KB article may be helpful for you...

Many thanks to brewmaster for this and his continued updates !

Tommy, not sure what to advise you on the length of the screws...

Mark

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
www.twitter.com/lenovoforums
www.facebook.com/lenovo

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

Paper Tape
biggyrat

Hinge on laptop is broken

The hinge on the left side that connects the top portion of my laptop to the bottom portion has broken and is now loose. Is there a good method for correcting this situation? What are the potential hazards of continuing to use my laptop with this situation?

Community Moderator
yigit

Re: Hinge on laptop is broken

hi biggyrat.
please provide which model of lenovo you have so we can offer some help you to solve the issue.

http://www.ki-themes.com
Paper Tape
biggyrat

IdeaPad Y510

Paper Tape
antonyv001

i have used my laptop for over a year with broken hinge... there is no problem except the lid will be loose and its irrittating....

i changed the hinges and it cost around 4500 INR ( around 100 USD)

Paper Tape
biggyrat

Did you replace the hinges yourself or did you have someone else make the repair?