Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Fanfold Paper
StealthPad

Y510 Remote Control missing

[ Edited ]

I just bought an IdeaPad Y510 notebook on Monday. It's a display model. They had no more in boxes in their stockroom, (at Office Depot). The guy said it was at once, when it first came in, a $999 notebook. Then it went on sale for $799, then $699, then when I went in their looking around for a NB, it was on a clearance sale for $599. They also gave me a 2 or 3 year (I forget. Probably 2 years) insurance on it for $59,`cos it was a display model.

Anyway, I knew it had to have what some of the other manufacturers have for their NBs... remote controls,`cos I saw the tiny IR window in the front of this IdeaPad, but when I get it home and look for everything else, the remote was no where in the box to be found, so I go back asking them where it's at. The guy that sold it to me is off and won't be back when I can get a chance to see him, the others have no idea what to tell me. They said they may have lost it and that's why it's on sale for $599. But when I go to or onto their other stores, (one in town and the rest online) their Y510's are on sale for $599, too.

So I know it can't be `cos every single Office Depot store in the US lost the remotes. So Office Depot says I need to call Lenovo so they can give me one. Well, I know Lenovo is not just gonna give me one. I believe they're gonna want $100 or more for it since they're the manufacturers. I'm thinking Lenovo is gonna tell me to bug Office Depot to give me one out of a newer Lenovo NB box as soon as one comes in, but I bet Office Depot will say no to that. So I don't know what to do. I'd really like to have a Lenovo brand remote.

Any ideas, anyone?

PS; I cannot even find anything on search nor on Lenovo's website about the remote, which may make this even harder for me to get one... free or not.

Thanks!:smileyhappy:

Message Edited by StealthPad on 08-13-2008 10:37 AM
Message Edited by StealthPad on 08-13-2008 10:38 AM
Message Edited by StealthPad on 08-13-2008 10:41 AM
 Note from Moderator:  Revised subject line to be more descriptive.
Message Edited by nonny on 08-15-2008 08:18 AM
Punch Card
phaz

Re: New Lenovo (or IBM) member...

Just because your y510 has the IR box doesn`t mean it comes with a remote.

Retired Guru
skripatch

Remotes are available for Ideapads only in theory. For now no one had seen them or even heared of them bought anywhere.

They are not bundled in pack with notebook.

However you may use other remotes to operate with this IR.

//help will save the world
Punch Card
jayhawk

Thinkpads have had IR ports for years.  I used to sync my palm pilot via an IR connection to my Thinkpad at least  4 or 5 years ago.  And I recall others using an IR connection to transfer files between thinkpads.  Certainly was not for a remote control.
Fanfold Paper
StealthPad

[ Edited ]

Okay, thanks everyone!

I just had to be sure though, that this NB didn't come with the remote,`cos the guys at Office Depot said they may have lost it, and they also said that most of their other NBs come with remotes, such as HP, and also the Lenovo manual says to read about how to use the IR, and there is also an empty spot in the box, shaped and sized for a remote. So all this made me think that there is or was a remote, and I got a box with everything but that.

So since it didn't come with one, and since I have no remote here at the house that will work, is there a third party that makes one? I'm guessing Lenovo doesn't make one,`cos I just cannot find anything about it on their website store.

This is not a big deal that I don't have one, but it would be nice to kick back and relax, and have one to control my music and movies.

Thanks!:smileyhappy:

Message Edited by StealthPad on 08-13-2008 10:25 PM
802.11n
plutos

My Y510 came with a remote, has a lazer pointer on it too! You could probably call support about Lenovo's policy on the distribution of remotes as it may vary from models released in different countries.

An alternative could be to use your average TV remote or better some kind of universal remote if you don't mind spending some time to firgure out and memorize what each key represents. I have found that my computer often responds to the IR coming from my TV remote. If you're lucky, you might get most of the features from the keys on your TV remote.

Retired Guru
skripatch

Plutos, please give us a foto and part number so we can finally know how it looks like.
802.11n
plutos

[ Edited ]

Sorry for the poor quality, I only had the 0.3M pixel camera on my Palm available. The Y510's camera doesn't seem to focus properly on close shots.

Here's the front of the remote. Some standard media keys.

Picture 1

Here's the back of the remote The black part is held closed by a spring inside the hindge. I guess it's a clamp.

Picture 2

Here's the back of the remote with the clamp held open. Near the middle is the space for the battery. Near the bottom is the information sticker. On the very top of the sticker beside the word "lenovo" says "Model No. RC901".

Picture 3 

Images hosted by ImageShack.us

Message Edited 2x by plutos last on 08-14-2008 12:35 PM

Moderator Note; Oversize pictures, without picture warning, converted to links. Please bear in mind the forum rules;

Do not embed large photos (above 50K) or cut and paste large areas (use of quote) unnecessarily as these behaviors degrade the performance of the forum and detract from the overall usability and experience of others. Instead, host photos externally and link to them as needed within your posts.

Message Edited by andyP on 08-14-2008 09:57 PM
Sorry about embedding the pictures. Won't happen again.
Message Edited by plutos on 08-14-2008 04:20 PM
Punch Card
chargersfan420

Sweet, I want one too.  I bought a Y710 in Canada through TigerDirect.

Is anyone at Lenovo listening that could possibly find out the regional availability of these?

Retired Guru
skripatch

Plutos, thanks a lot! That's great info.