Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
Zeddicus

Y510 and Vista 64Bit Drivers

Hi everybody,

First, because everything elese will sound so bad, let me say that I think the IdeaPad Y510 is a great machine.

I gess I was just unlucky with a bad power adapter and a useless multimedia card reader !!!

I the support in Thailand was not so bad maybe I would not even be talking about it but it is !!!!!
I had to make 2 trips to a different city and leave my brand new laptop for 2 weeks just to get the external power supply replaced and they didn't even look at the card reader !!!!!

Now they say they will replace the motherboard and that scares me a bit, but by the time they actually receive it and get around to install it, this laptop will probably be out of date, so first things first.

Now that I can keep it running on my new adapter :smileyhappy:, I find that there is more than a few bug with the preinstalled version of vista and since I own a full version of Vista 64bit Ultimate and this machine is strong enough to handle it I went ahead and installed it.

It would have been fine if the drivers had been 32 and 64bit as stated in most of the readme files but they are not.

The web site has only one download area for "Vista" drivers, they do not even mention 64bit and at least 6 of of them will not work, including, the Video drivers !!! and since Nvidia is not "allowed" to publish drivers for the mobile video cards, I gess I will have to prey that Lenovo will not forget about us.

I know it is a new system they just started selling but When you make a power house notebook like this you HAVE to expect that the customers will want to use it fully.

So please, whoever is out there, give a push to the right people and get us a Vista 64 page on the download area with all the right drivers for our brand new toys.

Thank you,

Punch Card
boyle

Re: Y510 and Vista 64Bit Drivers

you can find almost every driver needed from the manufacturer's site.
you can try google for device id.

and yes,i agree there should be 64 bit section in lenovo download page.
it would be great if there is linux section. and... OSX section....maybe :smileyvery-happy:
Paper Tape
Zeddicus

[ Edited ]

Well I'm getting there, lol

I got  Vista Ultimate X64 to manually accept the GeForce 8600GTS drivers and it seems to work Perfectly. Windows actually give me a 5.9 for Graphics and 5.5 for Gaming Graphics :smileyhappy:

As a quick test I ran Oblivion with all option on for best quality and it went fine.

You Know if there is any risk for the card, doing this ???

For the Network adapter I used Lenovo's onw ThinkPad Broadcom NetXtreme, NetLink Fast, and Gigabit Ethernet from : http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-67251.html

They actually have received the replacement motherboard at the shop and since I was a bit afraid of letting them take my brand new laptop apart  (I am in Thailand after all), I got them to agree to let me watch the replacement procedure, so I feel a bit safer that I’ll get it back in one piece, on the same day and in good working condition with not wooden part added lol.

So the card reader problem should be fixed soon :smileyhappy:

All I have left to find is a working ACPI driver, to get rid of that last unknown device and to get full fonctionnality.

With that i'd be all set.

So if anybody out there has found something that really works, please tell me (us :smileyhappy:

Thanks,

Christ.

Message Edited by Zeddicus on 03-26-2008 07:41 PM
Ctrl-Alt-Del
jeanclaud5

Hi Zeddi

You wrote: "I got  Vista Ultimate X64 to manually accept the GeForce 8600GTS drivers and it seems to work Perfectly. Windows actually give me a 5.9 for Graphics and 5.5 for Gaming Graphics "

Can you tell me how you managed to do this, after reading your post I tried to do it without any success, Vista is permanently installing the standard VGA driver and every Nvidia driver that I am trying tells me that it has no driver for my configuration.
Thks for your advise
Rgds