Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
rbrennan

Y510 and XP

Hello,

I bought a Y510 and it came with Vista.  I really don't like Vista.  How would I go about installing XP on the laptop?  Currently, I am getting Stop errors during install.  What am I missing?

Also, how is the performance with this laptop and XP?

Thanks
Punch Card
ArtieJ

Re: Y510 and XP

[ Edited ]
Read the Ideapad FAQ thread for info about installing XP. I installed XP, everything went great except for a front speakers issue
I have only recently noticed.
XP performs great on the Y510!
All the Vista and XP drivers are available at 
http://consumersupport.lenovo.com/lenovo/Drivers/list.aspx?CategoryID=134

Moderator Note; converted to clickable link

Message Edited by andyP on 04-28-2008 04:06 PM
Paper Tape
rbrennan

Thanks,

What is the order of operation for Option B.  I'm not sure what nLite is.

R
What's DOS?
bitjocky

When you change the OS to XP, the instructions say to change a BIOS disk setting from AHCI to "Compatibility".  If you upgrade the BIOS this setting will go back to AHCI and you need to again set it to Compatibility.  Otherwise the XP system will not boot. 
Paper Tape
rbrennan

How do you upgrade the BIOS?

....and I don't unterdand the order of operations of option "B"

Sorry to be think in the head, but I just want to make sure I understand what I am doing.
Serial Port
shoguevara

Here you will find BIOS for y510 and all the instructions you need.
Option B is integrating driver for SATA into installation disk, you don't need it if you switch AHCI to compatible mode, so you can forget about it.
Ctrl-Alt-Del
cthioaus

Hi, I intend to have dual boot so that I can choose between Vista and XP when Y510 startrs. Once I have changed the setting from AHCI to "Compatibility" for the purpose of XP installation, and when XP has been successfully installed, do I change back to AHCI? If I do that will Y510 give me the option of dual boot when I switch on the computer? Or do I just leave to "compatibility" if so, will I be able to dual boot when y510 is switched on? Thanks for the help
Ctrl-Alt-Del
jeanclaud5

If you do not want to change BIOS setting when booting XP you have to provide an AHCI driver on a diskette at XP installation time. You can find such driver on Intel site search S96S drivers you will find AHCI driver 32 and 64 bits.
I created a disk with XP (but no dual boot) XP is running even faster than Vista 32 according to my own experience.
Rgds