Support in other languages: 
Fanfold Paper
dhruv2012

Y550: Another "plugged in, not charging" victim

[ Edited ]

Has there been any update to why so many people seem to be suffering from the "plugged in, but not charging" issue after updating to Windows 7?

I have been using the stupid laptop for over a year while this issue is going on using solely my AC adapter.

Lenovo tech support thought, but was not sure that it was a driver issue, and wanted to charge me for this problem.

Is it a driver issue or battery issue and has Lenovo finally stepped up and taken responsibility for this?

Last time (about a year ago) I called the tech did not know what the issue stemmed from, it was mere guessing. Have they pinpointed the issue yet?

My laptop's S/N is xxxxxxxxxx

I would like to get at least 4 years out of the laptop!

Moderator Note; s/n edited for member's own protection

Token Ring
Kris237

Re: Y550: Another "plugged in, not charging" victim

Install Lenovo Energy Management, and run it and check out it's settings.  Just a thought.

christopherlang

[ Edited ]

I am not familiar with "another plugged in, not charging" but it could be your battery is going bad. On my Y530 I get a message that the Lenovo battery is invalid and that it may not charge or something like that I think. It charges anyway though the battery is pretty much shot. I definitely get this sort of message with the replacement (not Lenovo) battery. It says it may not charge it, not Lenovo battery blah blah blah. Is this what you are refering to? It is very annoying and not very fair considering one cannot buy the official battery from Lenovo any longer (I tried while it was still available in the catalog and my order was eventually cancelled). Anyway, so long as it charges the messages are just annoyances but I don't think the replacement one I bought would charge properly if I recall correctly. Is this the issue you are talking about?

Broadband 3G
countrywise

[ Edited ]

PLEASE REMOVE THE S/N NUMBER ,

İT'S not FOR EVERYBODY TO KNOW.

Fanfold Paper
dhruv2012

Hi,

The battery is definitely not taking a charge. If I plug it in for an hour or more and then unplug my ac adapter, my computer turns off immediately. I noticed this happened when I upgraded to Windows 7.

About a year ago, per advice at that time, I did re-install the power management software completely. Tried disabling ACPI in Windows as well and tried different versions (downgrades at the time) of the power management software.

Lenovo tech support knows what I am talking about...as it is a very common problem. I hope they can come on here and provide some assistance, my situation is still not resolved I have just been very patient and have been using my laptop in its plugged in state. I know new models have since come out so presume the newer models are o.k.

Still, I feel Lenovo CS should help as the upgrade was provided by Lenovo and the battery issue started after the upgrade.

802.11n
christopherlang

[ Edited ]

Well your battery sounds completely dead. But you say this behaviour began when you upgraded to Win 7? Are you certain your problem did not just begin to show itself at the same time as your upgrade? Thats what my impression is but I will leave it at that since you say you have spoken to support and the issue is supposed to be known. Just a quick question: Have you tried another battery?

Fanfold Paper
dhruv2012

I do not have another battery to test. Yes, the problem occurred around the time of the upgrade. Lenovo CS told me that it was a driver issue.

Now I am out of warranty and they want me to pay for the support, but many on here, like yourself, seem to think it is a battery issue, whereas Lenovo seems to indicate a software problem (whether that be a driver issue or ACPI issue).

I don't want to buy a new battery only to find out later that it was not a battery issue to begin with.

I also heard that Lenovo sent out batteries to some customers because of this. I would like for them to try that with me too.

802.11n
christopherlang

[ Edited ]

Hi. Ah ok. It is a basic thing to check if you can. I think you mentioned something in another post about others having the same/similar charging problems. It may have been different laptops but check the forum, I thought I came past a thread or two where people were discussing some charging issues that weren't the battery (these may have been different model laptops). Though I wonder how old is your current battery? How old is the machine? It's been doing it for a year now your saying? I was just looking at your first post and also what you said about being out of warranty (so at least two years old I guess).

It could be true, you could always try to get them to send you a battery. I am not sure how old your Y550 is, but if you can afford it, and the machine is older, I would try to get a new battery while you can (assuming your battery is still in Lenovo's catalog if your machine is that old). I can't get a Lenovo battery for my Y530 and I have charging issues with the replacement battery and it not being a Lenovo battery.

Paper Tape
ToHelpBattery

Re: Y470 battery charging issue

Hi Wonder if you fixed your y470  " pluged in, not charging" issue

today is 06/06/2012, I got my Y470 from Ebay, I faced the same "problem", and did not find any solution. But I just figured it out by play with the power setting. Here is the fix:

1) Reason for  " pluged in, not charging" . Lenovo give you a option to save battery's life but not allow the battery with "full"charge when you have AC power on, which will reduce the battery's life.

2) When you have AC on, the energy star setting for the battery is about 0 -50%. 

3) When you are ready to use battery for work/school without AC, you need to fully charge your bettery, here is the step:

a)  Click the battery icon

b)  Click "more power option"

c)  Click "change plan setting"

d) Click " change advanced power setting"

e) Click  "Lenovo Energy management"

f)  Click " Enable Energe management"

g)  Click the blue ring "Best Battery Health"

H) Click "Start"--->  "continue"

I)   Now your battery is in charging, better do this charging before you go to sleep, should be ready in the morning with 100% charge.

All the Best

Ctrl-Alt-Del
arunborn90

even i also have that problems some times but it is not a big cause i think so..