Support in other languages: 
Fanfold Paper
JoeSteinfeld
Accepted Solution

Y550 Loose screen hinge

I've had my Y550 for about 3 months now and everythings been fine with the construction of the computer. However, I bought this computer because the screen hinge on my last computer slowly broke down to the point where it was difficult to keep the screen in one position because it flapped around so much. Now, only 3 months in, the screen hinge is loosening quickly,, and moves back and forth over an inch, or several degrees. I thought this was a good computer. Now I'm worried the same thing that took 3 years to happen to my old laptop is going to happen within 6 months on this one. Is this fixable with a quick fix or can i send it in on warranty?

Community Moderator
yigit

Re: Y550 Loose screen hinge

probably it is fixable on warranty. please contact lenovo support for more information and shipping issues.

http://www.krasotaiskusstva.com
Punch Card
dsun

I second this concern. I use a y550p (same chassis and frame, I believe?) alongside with a Dell Studio 14z, and I never really appreciated how sturdy the hinge on my Dell was until getting my Lenovo. I've just had it for about a month, and it's been fine, but it definitely feels like it could be a problem.

Token Ring
aspalmacin

I'm having the same "loose hinge" problem on my Y550, purchased in Aug 2009.  It's only 7 months old !!

When I close the lid, the loose hinge on the right side causes the rear of the lid to pop up about 1/4".  I can press it down but I can see the problem getting worse as time goes on.  (Don't have this problem with my Compaq Presario and it's over three years old.) 

However, the hinge on the left side is still working OK.  (Is one out of two a good score?)

How do I get this fixed?

Help!

Al Spalmacin
Y550 4186-46U
Community Moderator
yigit

@ aspalmacin

contact lenovo.

http://www.krasotaiskusstva.com
Token Ring
aspalmacin

I did and this got fixed under warranty service. 

Took 5 working days, from the time I mailed off the special shipping box (on Monday) that Lenovo sent, until the repaired laptop was returned to me (following Monday).  Lenovo paid for 2-day shipping (FedEx) both ways. 

Problem was that the hinges that hold the lid in place had come loose.  Seems silly that the screws should come loose, perhaps they were not tightened securely to begin with. 

Working with Lenovo Tech Support was easy, they were very accommodating.  I told them there was no need for the hard drive to be in the system when they received it, as the problem was strictly a physical hardware problem and not electronic in any way.  They said no problem.  I simply popped the hard drive back in place when the laptop was returned. 

BTW, the number I called for warranty service is: 1-877-453-6686.

Al Spalmacin
Y550 4186-46U
What's DOS?
stylinred

Hi sorry for bumping an old thread But im having this exact same problem with a Y550 and I dont believe im nder warranty anymore

Is there any way users have found a way to do a DIY repair?

this really sounds like something that should be a recall considering so many with the same issue
tcl
Blue Screen Again
tcl

stylinred wrote:
Hi sorry for bumping an old thread But im having this exact same problem with a Y550 and I dont believe im nder warranty anymore

Is there any way users have found a way to do a DIY repair?

this really sounds like something that should be a recall considering so many with the same issue

Yes.   You can access the hinge screws by removing the slide bar (the part of the laptop that has the two speakers, slide bar, one touch buttons)

Turn the laptop over

Remove the battery.

Remove the 4 screws that were covered by the battery
Turn the laptop back over

Flip open the laptop screen.

Remove the slide bar.  -  You can pull it up by prying where the hinge meets the speaker.   Do that on both sides.

Tighten the two screws for each hinge.