Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Retired Guru
ortegaluis

Re: Y550 No Intel VT Support?

[ Edited ]
I think we are getting ahead of ourselves. Thus far, the processor that is in your laptop has not been mentioned. Please post which processor your Y550 has, or better yet the laptop model number [not the serial number].
Message Edited by ortegaluis on 06-20-2009 08:55 AM

\\ I do not respond to PM regarding individual tech support. Keep discussions in the forum for the benefit of others //
Blue Screen Again
szatkoff

Mine is a 4186-4AU with the P8600 Processor. Yes, it does support VT.
Serial Port
idumlupinar

I went to a comp shop three weeks ago, and purchased y550 (p8600 cpu 4 gb ddr3 ram and 500 gb hdd)

And tried to run a guest 64bit  host on vmware (host is you know vista x64 home premium)

Guess what?

No Intel VT Support? Actually it does perfectly support. But somehow Lenovo disabled it from Bios and we can't even enable it from there.

I live in Turkey and i tried to contact Lenovo Support. However...

I can't call during my work schedule which is 9 am to 9 pm

Great because Lenovo Turkey don't support customers 24/7. We have to call only weekdays Monday to Friday.

I'm perfectly happy with my laptop except this weird limitation.

Please tell me an acceptible explanation why it is disabled and why i can't get support from Lenovo when i want to?

Why should i call to get support?

Can't i use email support or something like that?

If you don't want to provide customers a bios update or a solution to this limitation i am ready to give my laptop back at no cost.

Sorry if i did sound rude, but these are my thoughts.

http://www.ismetdumlupinar.com
Punch Card
smakdown61

[ Edited ]

Actually, not every dual core mobile processor supports VT. Here are the specs for the p7450 in the y450. http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SLB54

You'll notice there is no mention of VT support. But if you look at the p8600 here:

http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SLB3S

It actually does have VT support as already mentioned here. Intel purposely removed VT support on some OEM spec processors to make them available at cheaper prices to go into laptops that probably won't need VT. Apple actually paid intel to include VT support in a p7350 processor that doesn't normally have it. 

In summary, while the most likely situation is that lenovo has disabled it through the bios, there is a slight possiblity they had intel remove the VT support in the processor to save money for their consumer line of laptops.

Message Edited by smakdown61 on 06-21-2009 08:34 AM
802.11n
christopherlang

[ Edited ]

There are enough Ideapads out there that have VT capable processors installed that makes it a bit weak trying to blame the capabilities of the processor for a lack of functionaility in the BIOS that Lenovo could easily provide users access to --the motherboard and chipset support a processor that supports VT and the bios does if VT support were an enabled option. Users without VT capable CPUs could upgrade to a VT capable processor if they chose to. Then things like using Xen hypervisor for run guest OS's near bare metal, 64 bit guests under vmware and all sort of other virtualisation things these laptops are capable of doing and the reason I bought this laptop (it has a reasonably fast drive, 4gb memory, 64 bit processor, and reasonable graphics for my use). Just lacking VT! Please fix..  Well I will be phoning to complain. Thanks to the person that posted the number in the thread.

--do think that your summary is probably spot on. the problem can be fixed if Lenovo would update the bios in these machines.

Message Edited by christopherlang on 06-21-2009 11:56 AM
Ctrl-Alt-Del
bwpotter

In regards to your post smakdown61, we're probably getting off on a tangent here since the initial poster's model has been confirm as a Y550 w/P8600 CPU.  However, even Lenovo's own literature proclaims VT support for applicable processors.  In fact, their CPU reference guide states that even the P7450 has VT support (pg. 9 of Personal Systems Reference Intel ® PC Processors).

Regards... Brian

T400 2764CTO
Windows 7 x64
Blue Screen Again
szatkoff

"It actually does have VT support as already mentioned here. Intel purposely removed VT support on some OEM spec processors to make them available at cheaper prices to go into laptops that probably won't need VT." I don't have a problem with Lenovo receiving a discount in exchange for crippling the CPU, but If Lenovo does not intend to support VT at the consumer level, they should say so in the literature. I would NOT have purchased this laptop had I known in advance that VT is not enabled. This could be perceived as bait and switch?!
Punch Card
smakdown61

Well, I'm not really sure which source to trust. Lenovo's tech specs for my y450 were accurate unlike their web description. I guess the best bet would be to get lenovo to make an official statement.
Blue Screen Again
szatkoff

Let's keep on Lenovo regarding this issue.

SCSI Port
cntse2008

bump

I want my free XP with Win7!

"I want my free X-P"