Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Administrator
Mark_Lenovo

Re: Y550 No Intel VT Support?

All,

The official position / answer is that IdeaPads do not support VT even though some of the CPUs could theoretically be capable.  I know some members will be quick with a link to show a document somewhere, either on the Lenovo or Intel site that shows a CPU has having VT support.   However, the PSREF docs for IdeaPad at the system level do not state VT support for U330 / U350 / Y430 / Y450 / Y530 / Y550 / Y650 / Y730 .

imanym,

You make some interesting points - can you show specific HP consumer models, which would be valid IdeaPad competitors that have VT support enabled and so stated by HP?  Equivalent Dell models that do as well?    Could you post specific models with links to their sites where the VT support claims are noted?   If this is demonstrated as a competitive disadvantage and reason not to buy Lenovo, perhaps that would be a good basis to have the situation examined again.

Best regards,

Mark

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
twitter @lenovoforums
English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
Blue Screen Again
szatkoff

Mark,

So it comes down to buyer beware???? The Personal Systems Reference Intel ® PC Processors document and all of Intel's documentation shows that the P8600 CPU, which is the processor in the Lenovo IdeaPad Y550 that I purchased supports Intel VT. If Lenovo chooses not to support a heavily documented feature in its notebooks for this and other processors, then it is Lenovo's responsibility to state that it DOES NOT, otherwise it is implicitly assumed that there is support.

I believe is it this lack of documentation that is causing confusion and bad feelings among the purchasers of these products. Lenovo should do the right thing and update the BIOS, so that the laptops that are capable can take advantage of this feature. Lenovo should then update its future product literature, so that there will be no more confusion, which leads to causing bad relations between itself and its customers.

Regards,

Steve Zatkoff

Serial Port
idumlupinar

I strongly agree things that szatkoff stated.

You can't blame buyers, to guess about the outcome.

Please respond to following story:

I had a desktop that is x64. I also had x64 virtual machines on it which are my development machines. I was preparing content for my students.

Then i sold the desktop and purchased Y550 which has p8600 cpu.

Tried to import my old x64 virtual machines and guess what?

If Lenovo values  the customers, they strongly take an action quickly and provide an update for current Ideapad users.

There is no meaning of x64 systems with 4gb ram for me, if the vt technology is not supported.

You are selling a ferrari, but after selling it you say that you can't go above 50 km/h.

I am very disappointed.

http://www.ismetdumlupinar.com
Punch Card
ppww

[ Edited ]

The official position that Mark stated is ridiculous. Lenovo sells equipment which has VT capability according to technical specification (it doesn't have to be stated in Lenovo document, it is already in the official processor specs, and they offer such processor) without ANY disclaimer about the limitation. In such situation the customers can assume that those features will work and we have right to demand such option.We have already paid for it!!!

The fact that other manufacturers don't enable VT either could be an excuse of 5 year-old kid, not international company.

Regards

Message Edited by ppww on 23-07-2009 06:15 PM
SCSI Port
cntse2008

Lame.  C'mon Lenovo, you push out a BIOS update to patch something as trivial as the volume for the boot jingle but you can't be bothered to accept that people want the VT tech that they paid for? 

I searched through the PSREF that Mark linked and found that the U110 and Y710 are listed as having VT on the processor.  However, the Tech Spec sheet from the sale page, where they have the prices and such, say nothing about VT for those models.  What gives with that?  And why do two models (U110, Y710) have VT when the claim is that the whole line is VT-less?

There's too much contradiction here.   And it's not just Lenovo.  The entire industry is one big bait and switch and the review sites and periodicals are just sucking up to the latest and greatest silvertongue.  

Or maybe it's just a way to streamline the production process.  I don't know, but with Win7 on the horizon, and XP-mode requiring VT, we're either going to see LOTS of people irate when they buy and discover they can't utilize it or manufacturers are going to wise up and BLATANTLY ADVERTISE THE CAPABILITY...or lack thereof.

</rant>

Ctrl-Alt-Del
bwpotter

"If this is demonstrated as a competitive disadvantage and reason not to buy Lenovo, perhaps that would be a good basis to have the situation examined again."

Am I to understand that this is Lenovo's official position and that it could be reexamined if the other guys are doing it?  Seems very reactive verses proactive!

Look, activity on this thread and direct comments by Lenovo Technical Support staff indicate that this is an important feature for a good number of users.  It would seem Lenovo's marketing/customer service people would be more open to listening to the needs of their customers and at least consider product enhancements that may be a step up vs. the other guys.

In any event, I know that $1000 spent on my machine is not even a small drop in the manufacturer's bucket.   However, it's a big drop to me!  I did a lot of research using Lenovo's own literature.  The fact that I'm now hearing, 'you didn't ask the right question' or 'oh well, sorry, should of bought a ThinkPad' is not sitting very well and seems quite smug to me!

T400 2764CTO
Windows 7 x64
Punch Card
650backordered

[ Edited ]

However, the PSREF docs for IdeaPad at the system level do not state VT support for U330 / U350 / Y430 / Y450 / Y530 / Y550 / Y650 / Y730 .

Well my brand new 1400 dollar Y650 model 418556U doesn’t support VT either.

Although I was charged a premium for the p8700 machine. Lenovo Doesn’t Even

have a published PSREF DOC on my model so how can you claim this for me.

Lenovo’s own people from China also told me that they used a CCFL backlit

display on my model. This info comes from PSREF Developer Worldwide Marketing
Lenovo
 All reviews and Lenovo’s own website state that it comes with a LED

Backlit display.

It also didn’t come with a design Embedded in the rubber top as advertised.

In all PSREF DOC photo’s you can see the design . My own sales rep. sent

me on to tech support about this as if they know why Lenovo chose to take our

money and then send out a lesser quality build.(possibly the reason no specs

avail. yet-wait until after return period before we release them.) it would be

nice if Lenovo explain some of these items I just listed.

A company will never be on top or stay on top trying just to offer the same as

everyone else. It’s those who go above and beyond expectations that will

benefit today and tomorrow in this highly competitive market. I am

considering returning my machine for the reasons listed above and will

notify my credit card company of possible fraudulent advertisement.

I was looking for a good laptop when I came to Lenovo and I will continue

to look as we speak.  Thanks Tom

Message Edited by 650backordered on 07-24-2009 08:24 AM
802.11n
christopherlang

[ Edited ]
This is quite lame and well if this is Lenovo's position I will never buy another Ideapad again. To be quite honest I feel like I have been had.  Got a call from Lenovo (for the case I have open) and the woman that left a message referring to my case did not even have the model right. Sheesh man.  Well no more Ideapads.
Message Edited by christopherlang on 07-25-2009 10:57 AM
802.11n
christopherlang

Isn't this the truth '

You are selling a ferrari, but after selling it you say that you can't go above 50 km/h.' and always it seems when marketing BS is in the way.

Punch Card
650backordered

Virtualization will allow users to accomplish tasks such as browsing the web in a completely safe environment. By using a totally isolated browser window in which to net-surf, the act of closing the window would eliminate any trace of spyware, ad-ware, or malicious scripting which was picked up during the session.

--Lenovo's new ad campaign could read--

(Lenovo laptops offer safer net surfing useing modern day technology at no extra cost)get it here today