Support in other languages: 
Blue Screen Again
szatkoff

Y550 No Intel VT Support?

Can someone tell me if or when Lenovo may enable hardware virtualization support in the BIOS?

Regards,

Steven Zatkoff

Blue Screen Again
szatkoff

Re: Y550 No Intel VT Support?

Still looking for an answer Lenovo?
Blue Screen Again
szatkoff

In order to make this happen, you need to contact Tech Support regarding this. They will claim they don't support it. Make sure the tech escalates this to their Supervisor.

Steve

Retired Guru
ortegaluis

Most IdeaPads, if not all, have not had the option of enabling Intel VT on the BIOS configuration. Unfortunately for all IdeaPad owners, they will simply have to live with this option disabled by default.

This has been the case with the Y510, Y710, Y430, Y530, Y730, and now it seems that also the Y450, Y550, Y650 are "crippled" as well. Also, I'm sure that other IdeaPads also have this option disabled by default.

\\ I do not respond to PM regarding individual tech support. Keep discussions in the forum for the benefit of others //
Blue Screen Again
szatkoff

This is why you should call tech support and the them know that it is unacceptable. If enough people call, they might fix this issue for us.
802.11n
christopherlang

What is the number? I am ready to call. I honestly want to get rid of my Y530. Which is too bad as otherwise the machine is ok. Anyone want one for a good price, and I'm done with the Ideapad line.
Blue Screen Again
szatkoff

1-877-453-6686.
Ctrl-Alt-Del
bwpotter

What I find so outrageous is the hardware's already in place.  Why does Lenovo choose to cripple the 64-bit processors in our machines and prevent them from utilizing onboard VT support?  It's ludicrous!  You can bet I'll be making my call on Monday!

Here's an opportunity to make your voices heard.  Call the technical support line folks. Perhaps we can make a difference!

T400 2764CTO
Windows 7 x64
Punch Card
smakdown61

Actually the p7450 processor in the y450 doesn't support VT from the get go according to intel's website. If you need VT that bad you bought the wrong kind of laptop. This is a consumer laptop not a thinkpad. I can run vmware perfectly fine.
Ctrl-Alt-Del
bwpotter

Not sure where you're digging up the Y450 smakdown61, the original poster's question concerns his Y550.  Even so, both models have Duo Core processor options that support Virtualization Technology (VT).

I'm also aware from a marketing standpoint that Ideapads are considered "consumer" machines but why should this exclude VT support?  Most notebook brands that contain VT supported CPU's, like Dell, Toshiba, HP, Sony, etc., provide BIOS options to enable the feature.  This isn't some exotic attribute that should only be available on Thinkpads IMO.

And yes, all these machines run VMware... in 32-bit mode.  However, if you try to load a 64-bit guest OS or take advantage of 64-bit programs in your virtual machine, you can't do it unless you have VT support. Kind of negates the advantage of a native 64-bit processors.

Bottom-line for me, if Lenovo chooses to cripple this function, they should at least advertise the fact. It didn't stop them from marketing the VT feature in their "Personal Systems Reference Intel ® PC Processors" tecbook, which is what I went by when I purchased a new Y530 a month ago.

T400 2764CTO
Windows 7 x64