Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Token Ring
middleton

Re: Y550 Virtualization Problem!!

First of all make sure that your CPU does support Intel VT. If it's so, then try to do the following:

- power off  your computer.

- unplug power cord.

- remove accumulator battery from your laptop.

- push the power button and hold it about 10 seconds.

- insert the battery back.

- plug the power cord.

- turn laptop on and check VT status.

- If VT is still disabled, then try to repeat VT enabling procedure.

Fanfold Paper
jasonsmr

[ Edited ]

First of all Hello to this forum; I found this place a few months ago and have been following all infos. related to bios flashing in windows and linux. Most of all I have been following this particular forum, most obviously because of its success in flashing a VMX / Vt  enabled bios.

I currently have a bios {{{other than the one mentioned in this forum}} so the solved solution regarding those exact values and the Dos utility method do not (unfortunately) work for me when flashing a bios.

I can not apparently make those settings stick* Meaning I want to modify my Bios!!!! :smileysurprised: :smileysurprised: :smileysurprised: and Yes I accept the risks. >>

when running the MEL* utility update method with DUMP --> *EDIT*--> SAVE--> reboot using any methods I have tried so far both; reboot save in reset bios Default loaded settings then Alt+Ctrl+Del.

However other methods CrystalCPUID from within {OS} HAVE as of this writing It has confermed NOT Working, VT is still disabled by bios from within windows and hyper-V gives a little error to this effect stating VT is not enabled in Bios.

The steps I followed were:

Using the CrystalCPUID utility at the Default VT code::

0x0000003a my output for this code at @RDMSR is: :

EDX (63 - 32)    :: :: 0x00000000

EAX (31 - 0)       :: :: 0x00000001

so that when I go ahead and logically following the directions in this thread post:: type in 0x00000001 in EDX and 0x00000005 in EAX,

Im currently running windows;

and have a slew of kits for editing the bios if anyone wants to give me any hints?

well..nevertheless .. I would be better off with the ability to do this in linux startup script anyone wanna give me a clue?

thanks~

Fanfold Paper
Orlin

Hello,

After reading last posts in this topic I just wanted to make sure if anyone has been able to patch 15CN35WW (v2.08) BIOS and to enable VT?
I have Y550 P8600 with 15CN21WW (v1.04) BIOS and I don't know which one should I choose to install and then patch - v2.05 or v2.08 (improving battery charge process).
I also want to swap Fn - CTRL (even though I almost got used to it after 1.5 year) - but this should be easy to do since I got both BIOS versions patched by middleton (2.05 & 2.08).

PS: @middleton - great thanks for all those patches :-)

What's DOS?
froger_mcs

Hi, I have a little problem with enabling VT in my Lenovo Y550. I have BIOS v2.08, and Intel P8700 CPU with VT technology. When I finish your solution everything is OK - I have VT enabled.

But unfortunately, sometimes when I switch off (or hibernate etc.) my laptop VT switches off too. And after this I can't open my 64-bit virtual machine in VMware.

Could anyone help me?

Token Ring
middleton

I created BIOS with VT enabled by default a very long time ago. You can download it from here.

Note: I also disabled wireless whitelist in this BIOS.

What's DOS?
froger_mcs

Thank you so much! :smileyhappy:

Paper Tape
zhang740

[ Edited ]

Help~~~

MSR:0x0000003a

Results: EDX: 0x00000000 & EAX: 0x0000FF0F for both cores.

Model: Y550

CPU: T9600 @ 2.8 GHz (ES,QAER)

BIOS: 15CN34WW(V2.07)

M/B: KIWB1

Blue Screen Again
Y580-Nathan

Sorry to bring this old thread but I have the Y580 and I need to have VT enabled, middleton do you have any suggestion for me?  This is messed up that we have to go through all this hassle to turn on a simple setting which is already available.

Paper Tape
pol_kot

Hello. I have Lenovo y550 with Bios v2.08. I have a problem with virtualization, my cpu Intel T9600 support virtualization but I can't enable it. In CrystalCpuId I have for MSR Number 0x0000003a values EDX 0x00000000 and EAX 0x00000009 on both core. I tried solve this problem according to instruction on page 4 but virtualization is still disabled. Someone have any ideas? Is this modified bios safe?