Support in other languages: 
What's DOS?
trev555555

Y550 Volume issues

I just received my disks and upgraded to Windows 7 on my y550.  I then went and deleted most of the Lenovo programs other than the "Onekey recovery" and the "Lenovo Slidenav." I am having volume/sound issues and was wondering if anyone could help me.

1.  When I tap the little button next to the slidenav thing that looks like a square with an arrow pointing to it, and go to what I call "movie mode" the sound is great, but the picture quality looks washed out.  When I click it again, and go to what I call "Normal Screen" the color quality of the monitor is much better but the volume of the sound is quieter and muted.  I want the sound to be much louder and better quality on the "Normal Screen" mode.  I tried messing around with the volume in the control panel and with the realtek audio and dolby audio things, but I got no improvement.

2.  It used to be when I changed volume with the buttons on the right side of the keyboard I could see a graphical representation of the volume change on the screen.  Now that graphical representation is gone, but the volume still changes just fine with button pushes.  I want that representation back.

Did I delete some program I need to adjust the volume?  Is there an easy fix I am missing?  If neccesary, how do I get the programs back that I deleted?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Paper Tape
jsmith45

Re: Y550 Volume issues

The sound system is remarkably complicated. (this is while completely ignoring Bluetooth audio, or the Video chip's sound support for HDMI output). (The answers to your questions are near the bottom of this post)

Windows sees 4 devices. One is a stereo audio output device, one is a digital souround ouptut, and two are anologue microphone inputs.

As far as end hardware, there are three speakers on the computer, a pair of microphones. I'm not sure if these are grouped as though they are a stereo microphone, or if they simply perform noise cancellation features and present themselves to the realtek chip as if they were a standard monaural microphone.

There is a standard microphone port, which does not appear to double as a line-in port,which the system appears to completely lack. 

Finally, there is a headphone and TOSLINK (optical audio) output combined in what is known as a mini-TOSLINK port, which looks like a normal headphone port, and functions like one, but also has an red LED in the back that can provide digital audio output. To use this, a mini-TOSLINK adapter is needed.

The main audio chip here is a Realtek ALC272 chip.

That pretty much covers the sound hardware, so now lets look at the software.

By default two pieces of sound related software come with the system. One is the Dolby home theatre software. 

I cant quite tell what this software does. It either adds additional software processing to the audio, or perhaps it controls some additional hardware chip that sits after the realtek chip. I suspect this in part because only if the Natural Bass setting is selected here is does the subwolfer speaker appear to function.

The other piece of software is the Realtek HD Audio Manager, which I believe to be part of the Realtek driver. If you have inadvertently removed this, Try reinstalling the Realtek driver you will find in the drive. For the most part this software appears to directly ontrol the Realtek chip, although I belive a few of its options may be implemented in software.

Of particular note is the Waves MaxxAudio tab, which appears to be what the Lenovo OneKey Theater button toggles. When in the "film" mode, or whatever that is, it appears to have turn the MaxxAudio feature on. You can do this yourself in normal mode by pressing the "power button" portion of the  image in the RealTek HD Audio Manager.

The other portion of the OneKey Theater appears to change the windows color profile, probably to greatly increase the gamma. With NVIDIA's control panel it is possible to override this feature, so that both OneKey Theater profiles appear exactly the same, with only the MaxxAudio differences occuring. To do this, open the NVIDIA Control Panel, select the "Adjust Desktop Color Settings" page, choose the "Use NVIDIA settings option", and click the apply button that appears.

What's DOS?
trev555555

JSmith45,

Thank you so much for your detailed answer.  I was able to fix the volume settings, but unfortunately, I still don't have the graphical representation of the volume (the green bars on the screen) when I change the volume.

Paper Tape
jsmith45

In case you have not figured that out since your reply, the answer to the volume indicators is that you need the "energy Managment" program from Lenovo.

The program has a user space component that helps you adjust power management modes, but that is not really useful considering the quality of Window's 7's built-in power management. The other component which displays the the icons appears to be a background service, although I have not yet been able to determine which one, so it should be possible to prevent the power managment helper from running while still getting the OSD icons for volume, brightness, etc.

Community Moderator
yigit

Paper Tape
LeftyF

I know this is an old post, but one of the other issues I've had with the Y550 is that the headphone level (and speaker level) is quite low. I found this post on another forum that sorted this out for me so I thought I'd share:

- Right click the speaker icon in the task bar (or choose Control Panel : Sound).
- Select Playback Tab : Speakers : Properties.
- Select Enhancements Tab.
- Check the Loudness Equalization box and click apply.

Volume should now be substantially louder.
Modifying Equalizer and Environment settings may also provide a boost. (I've got this set to "Powerful" for movies and "Rock" for music and it sounds quite a bit better).

Source URL for information was http://forum.notebookreview.com/acer/171732-found-way-boost-volume.html

Hope this helps someone else