Support in other languages: 
Fanfold Paper
ScottT

Y550 fan speed not fast enough CPU overheating and shutting off

My Y550P fan is running but at  a greatley reduced speed that is preventing the fan from adequatlley cooling the computer. I've managed to overcome this issue by removing the bottom cover and using a cooling pad but I would like to get this issue resolved. My battery is also showing the 100% charged problems where the computer switches from P.S. power to battery then shuts off after a minute or two. With the battery disconnected I am able to stay running. I have purchased a new battery thinking that might be the issue and have the same issue with the new battery. I have thoroughly cleaned cooling vents. My fan just won't spin fast enough. I installed HW moniter and see that all my thermal sensors appear to be working correctly displaying the temps within a few degrees of each other. I've installed EVGA hoping the fan controller would allow me the option of speeding it up but the fan controller is grayed out.Any reccomendations?

I think its a hardware problem with the motherboard but hoping I'm missing something.

tanujhanda
Topics: 3
Kudos: 80
Solutions: 65

Re: Y550 fan speed not fast enough CPU overheating and shutting off

To resolve the overheat and battery issue BIOS need to be updated.

BIOS update can be download from the mentioned below web link.

For Windows 32bit Operating System

http://consumersupport.lenovo.com/in/en/DriversDownLoads/Drivers_Show_2576.html

For Windows 64bit Operating System

http://consumersupport.lenovo.com/in/en/DriversDownLoads/Drivers_Show_2577.html

If the issue continues then you might need to get it check with service center.

Best Regards,

Tanuj

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution".! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

Fanfold Paper
ScottT

I have a Y550P BIOS version 1ECN33WW(V5.07)

The file you listed didn't work.

Thanks for the help though,.

anythign else

Fanfold Paper
ScottT

Still having same problem. Althoguht the other day it just took off to 100% for 10 minutes or so then dropped back to idle speed. Can you please release a Bios that allows fan speed control?

pretty please.

Paper Tape
LeftyF

[ Edited ]

I have the same issue. Using SpeedFan I can see that the GPU temp is climbing to 130 degrees F when running 3d games, and the fan is running quite slow (maybe 30%?). I updated the BIOS per the link and it is still an issue. I have vacumed out the vents and fan to no avail. I'm going to try compressed air and a laptop cooler (possibly leaving the access panel off of the bottom of the machine) and report if this has any effect. It would be great if the fan could by controlled!

Fanfold Paper
ScottT

Exactley what I have to do. Got a cooling pad at walmart, remove bottom access cover and it'll run all day just fine. When I get home next I'll reformat and reload see if that helps out.

I am not sending this in to be serviced. No reason I can't fix it myself here. Its jsut kinda strange that it works every so often. I purchased an MSI GT683DX so its not a big deal at the moment but I use my laptop for work and I can't have stupid issues like this shutting my plant down. I need 100% reliability and I'm just not getting it. Worst part is theres nothign i can do about it.

Paper Tape
FreeDooM

Hi!

**bleep**, i have that problem with my lenovo y550p too...

Does some one resolve that problem?

Paper Tape
FreeDooM

Hey!  Somebody will help me with some suggestion???

tanujhanda
Topics: 3
Kudos: 80
Solutions: 65

Hi FreeDooM

If the issue is persisting after BIOS update also then it could be CPU heat sink issue.

You may get it check with Lenovo service center.

Best Regards,

Tanuj

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution".! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

Paper Tape
FreeDooM

[ Edited ]

Yeah, updatet bios, but problem still here.

Heat sink was removed,cleaned. CPU and GPU lubricated with new thermal grease.Then CPU Fun cooler was replaced by new one.

When laptop powered by p.s - all good and normal, cpu\gpu temp. on full load 70-76 C.

But when i load "havy" game or test or just whaiting when Windows load or surfing in web, with installed battary, my laptop can randomly just freeze (all lights is on, but i can't do nothing,the mouse pointer does not move and etc.).

Battary is ok, tested with new one.

Installed new hard drive

Installed new 4gb RAM 

Help please...