Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Ctrl-Alt-Del
aagresta
Accepted Solution

Y550P Blue Screen problems

[ Edited ]

I've been getting  seemingly random BSODs in Windows 7 Home Premium x64.

It sometimes happens right after I log in to windows, and sometimes not for a few hours within turning on my computer.

Laptop model: IdeaPad Y550P (324156U)

The bluescreens can be avoided by booting into Safe Mode with Networking, which leads me to believe it is a software or driver issue.

The thing is, the only driver I've installed is the driver for the mysterious "Lenovo Virtual Power Controller" (ACPI\VPC2004) device, which was until then showing up as an "Unknown Device" in device manager.

Besides, the bluescreens were happening both before and after the driver was installed.

I've also run the windows memory test utility, and it has found no problems with my RAM in its standard test.

Could some of the included crapware I uninstalled have broken things?

Here are the details of the BSOD, copied from the windows crash recovery dialog.

I'd analyze the memory dump myself, but I lack the tools and they're pretty difficult to set up.

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:    BlueScreen
  OS Version:    6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3
  Locale ID:    1033

Additional information about the problem:
  BCCode:    7f
  BCP1:    0000000000000008
  BCP2:    0000000080050033
  BCP3:    00000000000006F8
  BCP4:    FFFFF8000343D798
  OS Version:    6_1_7600
  Service Pack:    0_0
  Product:    768_1

If anyone has any information that might help me out, I'd be very grateful.

Thanks.

EDIT: Added more specific laptop model number.

Community Moderator
yigit

Re: Y550P Blue Screen problems

uninstall the driver for lenovo virtual power controller , update your power management.

windows 7 32 bit : http://consumersupport.lenovo.com/en/DriversDownloads/drivers_show_1892.html

windows 7 64 bit : http://consumersupport.lenovo.com/en/DriversDownloads/drivers_show_1893.html

http://www.ki-themes.com
Ctrl-Alt-Del
aagresta

[ Edited ]

Reinstalling the energy management software seems to have helped, thanks.

Could you tell me how you found that driver? Navigating through the Lenovo support section and choosing my laptop model from the Support> Downloads & drivers section brought up a page that said no drivers/documents were available.

EDIT: Bah, no luck. It still bluescreens. I reseated the RAM, too, for what it's worth.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
aagresta

Any other suggestions, besides the energy management software?

If I can provide any other helpful information, please ask.

I may just go to official Lenovo support as my next step, RMA may be in order.

Community Moderator
yigit

[ Edited ]

i've searched all the lenovo website for drivers.

still getting blue screen?

what's the error or error code?

if you have two ram(s), try one by one. just like you said, may be, your one of ram is dead, but, i need more info.

http://www.ki-themes.com
Ctrl-Alt-Del
aagresta

The RAM is good, I tested both sticks. The error code from the bluescreen was in the first post.

It's not a hardware problem, the computer never bluescreens in safe mode.

I can post a kernel memory dump if anyone wants to analyze it. I don't care to set up the tools myself, it's a real hassle.

Serial Port
kashing92

Hi, got my Y550P last weekend. Have had two blue screens already.

I can't open the memory dump .dmp file, and so I dont know what is wrong.

I tried a system restore, and after the restore I found Internet Explorer and Lenovo Camera and SlideNav did not work anymore, as well as annoying messages of McAfee agent failing to locate files. I could not access IE8 even from its folder in C-Programs, same for camera.

So, I undid the system restore... now yes I can use IE8 and Camera and Slidenav, and McAfee is back (when I go to Control Panel to uninstall McAfee it says error, already been removed). But right after the System Restore Undo was finished and the PC rebooted, I got a Blue screen with the words "kernel" right after startup (on windows 7 desktop). It went to the blue screen and then restarted right away (no time to see what the blue screen even said, and later it said something to do with the Power and firmware, though clearly my power was connected the entire time).

The first blue screen was before any of this system restore. I only installed Firefox, Windows Messenger and a few updates from Windows updates. Why am I getting blue screen? Also, before system restore but after the first blue screen, windows has a Memory Diagnostic Tool at startup. I don't know the result cos it did not report it.

I also notice my system is Extremely slow at using windows explorer, folders, or firefox, or IE8, or running a blue ray disc, or when playing mp3 files with WinMediaPlayer. When trying to play a blu ray disc it sometimes crashes (yes, this PC had a Blu ray drive that came with it, and after a while i could watch the movie).

HELP PLS, Urgently. What should I do, i expected a great computer... now there are all these problems and errors and extreme lags. This is a Core i7 720QM with GT 240M with 4GB DDR3 and Win7 Home Premium. What is wrong pls help thank you.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
aagresta

Here's a minidump file, if anyone has the Windows 7 debugging tools. Please, let me know if anyone has anything that might help.

memory dump file

Serial Port
kashing92

Pls can anyone help with there problems I have had several Blue Screens and restarts (black flash followed by shut down and restart) upon login, startup, before and after.

Thanks.

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:    BlueScreen
  OS Version:    6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3
  Locale ID:    1033

Additional information about the problem:
  BCCode:    1a
  BCP1:    0000000000041790
  BCP2:    FFFFFA8001CA4660
  BCP3:    000000000000FFFF
  BCP4:    0000000000000000
  OS Version:    6_1_7600
  Service Pack:    0_0
  Product:    768_1

Dunno how to open .dmp

Fanfold Paper
sjo8

I've had the same BSOD error as described by the OP and I've yet to find a solution or the cause of the BSOD. 

Things I've tried: Factory Restore, Windows Memory Diagnostic, and updated drivers.

Things I'll be trying before I'll call Lenovo soon: Factory Restore, manual installation of each Windows Update item.