Support in other languages: 
Token Ring
ziga
Accepted Solution

Y560 screen hinge broke

Happened yesterday. I always knew the case itself was a bit weak, but honestly, I didnt expect this after 1.5 years of normal use. I dont even move the laptop around that much...

So ye, the screen hinge on the left side is now broken in half, so some of it is still in and the screen is in place (more or less), but Im worried for how long and what the consequences could be if I start moving it around, or if it breaks off entirely. 

I've called the local support, they want to take my laptop for 2 weeks to replace this, which is just unacceptable beacuse of my work and uni finals, and honestly, its just a hinge, how long can it take....

Does anyone have similar experience? How did you fix it? I know my way around a computer, so it shouldnt be too hard to do it myself, but what should I look out for? 

Thank you for your time!

Community Moderator
Zehnsteine

Re: Y560 screen hinge broke

[ Edited ]

Hi Ziga,

unfortunately this has happen to other Y560 owners before,

please have a look at this excellent tutorial...

http://leshcatlabs.net/2012/01/06/article-y560-repair-of-hinges-by-martin-balog/

keeping my fingers crossed... Zehn

Edit... link fixed

Token Ring
ziga

Thank you for that. Its just really strange how they can release products with such bad casings, especially if its an often occuring event. The laptop is great, but the case is... well... its **bleep**. 

Community Moderator
Zehnsteine

Ziga... depending on exactly what's broken you may need to replace the metal hinges itself,

I just found out that there are two different versions for thin and thick screens available so need to

check careful before ordering any replacement parts!

Hinges for thick screens...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-IBM-Lenovo-IdeaPad-Y560-Y560A-Y560AT-LCD-Hinges-left-right-fit-Thick-scr...

Hinges for thin screens...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-IBM-Lenovo-IdeaPad-Y560-Y560A-Y560AT-LCD-Hinges-left-right-fit-thin-scre...

Zehn

Paper Tape
dkim1017

Lenovo y560 replacement screws?

I am trying to fix the hinge problem and it looks like I need some new screws.

Went to a local microcenter but they didnt have anything that was small enough.

Where is a good local shop to go to for laptop screws? (2mm diameter) or if not, a reputable website?

I live in socal by the way.

Thanks

802.11n
velenoso666

Re: Lenovo y560 replacement screws?

You could try something like these or these. But I would try local computer repairs first, take a sample and ask if they have any for sale.

Community Moderator
Zehnsteine

Re: Lenovo y560 replacement screws?

Hi Dkim,

may look around in Scale Model hobby stores.

Zehn

Paper Tape
zthind

This is a common problem with Y560 where Lenovo totally ignores that by saying we haven't heard of this problem. They think we bought laptop and extended warranty for keeping our machines with them always to get them fixed.

LENOVO doesn't take accountability for there mistakes.
What's DOS?
dalepa

I have the exact same problem.  Frys told me that the extended warentee does not cover phyiscal damage, but this is a clear defect.     Why was my claim denied?

Attached is the photos of the part that broke.    It appears that over time the hinge becomes too tight and the plastic part finally give out.

What can be done to get Frys to honor the warantee?20130309_235314-small.jpg

What's DOS?
Kosherdog

Y560 0646-2eu hinges broke

I am looking for the ordering code for the Hinges form my Y560. I understand that there are two types, one for Thick LCD and one for Thin LCD. How do I find out which one I have?