Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
myersmr05

Y560 will not turn on. Caps Lock and Number lock light up but not fans or boot

I was on my Y560 Model 0646 checking my email and the computer shut off on me.  I went to turn it back on and it does not turn on.  The caps lock and number lock light up.  Blue tooth, Battery, and Video status all light up above keyboard in status area.  None of the fans are going, and it does not sound like anything is running.  I tried removing the power and battery and pressing power button a few times.  Also tried to remove power and battery and holding down power and nothing.  It's almost like it freezes.  I can push the mute button and it lights up, but then cannot turn it off.  Please help.  Laptop just went out of warranty last month.

Paper Tape
myersmr05

Re: Y560 will not turn on. Caps Lock and Number lock light up but not fans or boot

I'm guessing it is because of the motherboard. Since it is out of warranty can a Y560 motherboard be purchased anywhere? Any ideas? Please help.
topmahof
Topics: 35
Kudos: 350
Solutions: 234

Re: Y560 will not turn on. Caps Lock and Number lock light up but not fans or boot

You could try pulling out the hard drive and the ram chips and see if you get any beep codes.

If so, put one ram chip back in, one at a time and see if it posts. If it posts with one of the ram chips, put the hard drive back in and see if it boots.  

Check the fan and see if there's any dust balls blocking it from running.

Try those first.

Dave

If someone helped you today, pay it forward. Help Someone Else!
English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
Paper Tape
myersmr05

Thanks for the reply.  I just pulled the hard drive and both ram chips.  turned the power on, and just the normal caps lock and number lock.  No beeps or fans. 

I tried with 1 stick of ram, both, just the hard drive, any combo I can think of.  No beeps.

When plugged in, it lights up that it is charging, so I know it is getting power.  The power light next to the the charging light will light up breifly, then turn off. Just the keyboard lights stay on.

Thanks in advance for any further help or advise.  I really liked this laptop.  Had a toshiba that died on me 4 days after the warranty went out, so I picked up the lenovo.  Thought it was going good, the this happens a month after the warranty goes out.

Thanks,

Mike

topmahof

Sorry my friend, but it doesn't sound good,

I think the cheapest way out of this would be to get an extended warranty.  I hear you can get a 1 year basic warranty for around  150 bucks. The cheapest motherboard I saw on ebay was 300 bucks.

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
Fanfold Paper
ALTUVE3D

To tell you the truth, it looks like you fried your Motherboard....

Paper Tape
myersmr05

Can you extend your warranty after the original has expired? I do see they have a post warranty maintenance. Anyone ever try that? Expensive? I
topmahof

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/T61-and-prior-T-series-ThinkPad/T61-and-nVIDIA-Quadro-NVS-140M-dead-GPU-...

Here's a thread on that.  You might not be able to get it online, you might have to make a phone call to get it.

Dave