Support in other languages: 
What's DOS?
wanwan
Accepted Solution

Y570 - BIOS Version question

[ Edited ]

Hi all - this is probably a dumb question, but which of the BIOS driver is more updated :

47CN28WW (V 2.06) or47VN31WW (V2.09)?

The reason I ask is that I just got my Y570 today, and as I am trying to check for any driver update from Lenovo website, 47CN28WW (V 2.06) shows up: 

http://consumersupport.lenovo.com/us/en/DriversDownloads/drivers_show_5027.html

Yet when I look at my registry editor, it seems the computer comes with V2.09 already (the Bios date is earlier then when V2.06 was released on the website tho)

http://i40.tinypic.com/qrajrb.jpg

Should I still update the Bios with the drivers from the Lenovo website?

Thank you so much!!!!

link to image image(s) >50k converted to link(s)

Retired Employee
JameZ

Re: Y570 - BIOS Version question

@wanwan,

The BIOS which your system came with is definitely newer than those provided on the web thus there is no need to flash the BIOS on the web.

Reasons why your laptop has a newer BIOS could be due to factory reasons and licence agreements with Windows. There have been cases previously where customer's laptop fresh from the factory has newer BIOS however the functionality of the BIOS are the same with the one available on the web.

Web team has advice before that there is no need to release all version of BIOS unless the new BIOS will be fixing issues on the laptop.

Hope this helps.

//JameZ

Check out the Community Knowledge Base for hints and tips.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

W520 | 4176-38U | i7 - 2720QM | Quardo 1000M | 8GB RAM | 60GB OCZ Agility 3

What's DOS?
wanwan

Thanks JameZ - I have one more question, should I bother to update any driver at all?

I see my chipset has older version of the drivers (9.2.0.1016 instead of 9.2.0.1021 from the lenovo download page), and I was hoping by selecting "Update Driver Software..." from Device Manager window would do the trick, instead it says "Windows has determined the driver software for your device is up to date."

Similar things happens to other drivers - version of drivers appears to be older, yet it says "Windows has determined the driver software for your device is up to date" when I select "Update Driver Software..."

Does that mean I don't need to do anything even the version of the chipset driver appears to be older?

Thanks a lot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Retired Employee
JameZ

@wanwan,

IMO, I do not update the drivers unless I find the system buggy.

//JameZ

Check out the Community Knowledge Base for hints and tips.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

W520 | 4176-38U | i7 - 2720QM | Quardo 1000M | 8GB RAM | 60GB OCZ Agility 3

What's DOS?
wanwan

Thanks Jamez - I think I will do the same then....

Happy Holidays! :smileyhappy: