Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
qsr123
Accepted Solution

Y570 Geforce 555m Optimus problem

Hello,

I cant seem to find any relevant feedback from Nvidia, therefore I hope Lenovo could provide some feedback.

I recently purchased my new notebook (Lenovo Y570) which comes with OPTIMUS integrated Intel graphic card coupled by GeForce GT 555M 1GB. I tried to play some games; however for some reason in game options show, that my Intel HD card is being used as a default graphic card. This suggests that OPTIMUS technology is not switching the graphic card properly. I tried to change the setting in windows using Nvidia control panel settings and tried to set the option to use "High performance Nvidia" only but the problem remained.

So I thought of updating my drivers to the latest version published on nvidia website (version 275.33). However when I downloaded the file after starting the instalation when the setup is checking for Nvidia hardware I always get the error message that no compatible Nvidia hardware has been found.

I see on Nvidia website this is a common problems with many notebooks on the market using this Optimus Technology. Apparently there is also no way to supress the onboard Intel grahpic card as well.

Does Lenovo offer any sollution to this?

I hope something will be done to address this problem, because the only reason I paid a bit extra for my laptop is to get a good graphic card and good graphic performance. However with the current issues with this technology my graphic card is pretty much ineffective and useless.

Your feedback is much appreciated.

Thank you. 

Community Moderator
yigit

Re: Y570 Geforce 555m Optimus problem

is there any nvidia sticker on your laptop?
did you switch graphic cards?

http://www.ki-themes.com
Paper Tape
qsr123

Hello, Thanks for you reply. Yes there is Nvidia sticker on my computer and system shows my GPU is Nvidia GF 555M 1GB DDR5.

In the meantime I found out that many people with optimus technology have the same problems updating their drivers or playing older games where GF 555M GPU is not activated.

Do you know are there any new graphic card drivers provided by Lenovo or is there any technical feedback place I send this to?

Thanks.

XBrav
Topics: 16
Kudos: 81
Blog Posts: 0
Solutions: 36

I haven't gone too much in depth with the optimus technology in my brother's Y570, but we have had no issues to date with Starcraft II. There is an option to have specific applications run with a specific GPU. Although excessively crude, have you tried assigning the individual exe to the nVidia card?

Which game / client are you having an issue with?

←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗
Tap that kudos button if I helped ^^
←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗
Paper Tape
fractl

The Y570 has a GPU switch on the front of the laptop, on the right side.  The laptop comes with the GPU switch in the off position, and you have to move the switch to enable the GPU.  I noticed that you didn't mention having done this.  If you don't do this, the computer will show the 555M as being installed, but it will only use the HD 3000 graphic on the CPU.  If this is your problem, and you're not sure where the switch is, it is shown in the manual.

Hope this helps.

Community Moderator
yigit

as fractl suggested, you need to switch the graphic card by using the button.

http://www.ki-themes.com
Paper Tape
qsr123

Thank you. I will try this later and let you know.

BTW I had this problem with Shogun 2 but on nvidia website I read many optimus users of other GPU's using optimus as well have a same problem. Especially with steam games which seem to recognice the Intel integrated card as a standard grpahic processor.

Paper Tape
qsr123

Thanks for help. The game runs much better now :smileyhappy:.

What's DOS?
t13241122

How to disable switchable graphics in Y570?

Hi,

How to disable switchable graphics. It looks like different with Thinkpad. Now I play game in Y570. But it isn't good enough.

thx.

Paper Tape
qsr123

Re: How to disable switchable graphics in Y570?

Apparently its not possible to disable the optimus technology completly as many people are complining about this, but in case your not aware of it you can switch on your GF 555M to a "high performance" mode by a small switch on right-hand corner of your notebook. I got a pretty good performance increase doing that compared to before, but than again depends on the game. Hope that helps.