Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Ctrl-Alt-Del
hziegle1

Y570 Temps

Hello, I just had my ideapad y570 for about 4 days now, but I am noticing high temperatures! I have seen my  i7 cpu at 83C and my gpu at around 76C, which I think may be a little too hot. My room is very hot here in florida, around 26-27C (80F) because my dad won't turn the AC down below that, so I am wondering if my cpu & gpu are getting so hot because of the temperature of my room. has anyone else experienced these system temps under similar conditions? what are you're temps? Is 80C too hot for my system? should I send back my ideapad for a replacement if it is malfunctioning? thanks!

Community Moderator
yigit

Re: Y570 Temps

have you checked download page for bios and/or power management updates?

also, check if the issue persists on safe mode to make sure it's not software issue. if it's hardware issue, not much choice, you need to ship it back to service.

http://www.ki-themes.com
802.11n
Sfairat

When I had ambient temp ~27 degrees and did not use cooling pad, mine y570's i7 CPU was sometimes more than 90 degrees hot and GPU more than 84 degrees(under full CPU and GPU load). For CPU, temps up to 100C are acceptable, I think (CPU only starts throttling at 100 degrees), for GPU 85 degrees is also normal, I think. Now, my ambient temperature is 5 degrees lower (21-22), and CPU normally does not heat up to more than 82-83 degrees (even under artificial tests, which load 100% CPU), GPU is cooler a bit. I saw several y570 reviews, in which temps were nearly the same, so I think yours(and mine as well) temps are just normal.Also these temps, I think, aren't dangerous for laptop components (sandy bridge CPUs start throttling at 100C, and for GPU even 85 degrees isn't too hot), but, of course, lower temps are always better.
Community Moderator
yigit

you may need to use thermal grease for the cpu.
as i said before, make sure that it's not software issue ( you can try to perform clean windows installation )

Ctrl-Alt-Del
hziegle1

[ Edited ]

hello, thanks for the responses! I updated all my drivers like you said to, but I didn't find any difference in temperature, it is still reaching the low to mid 80s. I haven't updated my bios yet tho, so once I do that I'm hoping there will be some change. how would I apply thermal compound on my laptop? I think opening it would void my warranty :/

thanks for the response Sfairat.  If there are any other's who are experiencing similar temperatures on they're y570 in similar conditions, or if you're temperatures are lower, I'd like to hear about it! 

edit: I have checked the BIOS version and found that it is newer than the one that is available for download on the Lenovo Website! my version is 47CN28WW(v.2,06) and the version on the Lenovo website is 47CN25WW(v2.03). 

P.S: I have seen my laptop's temps reach 90C playing minecraft for half an hour! thats very close to 100C at which point the CPU begins to throttle back... at this point I need to know if this is normal for this laptop or if I need to return it for a new one.

Community Moderator
yigit

opening it may void your warranty.
if any user can post the temps for y570, we can compare them.

it's normal that if the weather is about 40 degrees (c*) or more where you live.

Fanfold Paper
ALTUVE3D

hziegle1,

Have you check the load on your CPU, 2 days ago my pc started to have CPU spikes that raised the temperature, you should check which services are working.

In my case it was an anti-spyware that was causing the spikes.

You could try this.

1.- Turn your pc in Safe mode and check temp.

2.- In normal mode disconnect from internet and check temp.

3.- You live in a hot weather have you tried to change the fan speed and put in cold?

4.- Check out the load on your CPU.. (Ctrl + Alt + del then select Task manager) before you do this close every program, let the pc in idle alone and see what happens.

5.- Buy a cooling pad it might drop the temp 2-3 degree (I got one for my pc and it works like a charm).

If you see any change at test 1-2 you might have a software causing (It could be a virus or spyware)

If you see your CPU load being over 20%-30% get ProcessExplorer from Microsoft and try to identify whats causing the high load on the cpu.

P.S: I have a y570 i5 where i live is as hot as florida is im gonna turn of the AC and see how hot the pc get.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
hziegle1

hey altuve3d, I'll check this in a few days, as I suddenly got very busy and won't have time. I'd be interested to see what temps you reached. are you playing any game or just checking temperature on normal use? 

Ctrl-Alt-Del
MrGlister

I'm also interested in what tempture you're hitting while you are at a tropical location.  Please do post the results!

Meanwhile, I'll suggest you a cooling pad.  I'm using a Y570 with a Cooler Master U2.  It's cheap, elevates the laptop, and has adjustable fans.  I do believe there's a 17inch version that comes with 3 fans instead of 2 for a $5-10 difference in price.  http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Notepal-Notebook-R9-NBC-8PBK-GP/dp/B002NU5V4A

My idle temperture resides around 43-60 (counting small programs like youtube/hardware accelerated programs)

On max temptures, I've seen a max of 84.  I assume this is while I'm gaming.  It's borderline alright.

---

May I also remind you that you have a fan speed adjustment switch.  It's on the top right of your touch buttons.  The icon is shaped as a moon =D  Make sure it's set on Standard and not Super Silent haha

Fanfold Paper
ALTUVE3D

hziegle1,

Im using my laptop right now with no AC, this has been one of the hottest night ever, so i decided to do the temp test.. 

Right now I have open Photoshop and Fireworks plus Google Chrome the temperature goes from 38 up to 43 with the graphic card off. If i turn the graphic card my temp goes from 40-44.

You have to keep in mind that im using a cooling pad for the laptop and for the fan mode COLD.. Mine looks like this one.

Tomorrow I have to do a render, in the render my CPU load is 100% so im gonna check the temp again with no AC.

Greetings.