Support in other languages: 
Punch Card
Esoteric

Ideapad y570 Gaming Problems with laptop plugged IN

Hey guys,

so recently, I've purchased a ideapad y570 laptop at newegg.

Received it and tried playing some games on it, but gameplay in heavy games was an interesting experience- in a bad way.  Im talking about games like GTA IV and Battlefield: Bad Company 2.  For every three seconds, the game froze for a second, and this became a repitition.  However, this happens when my computer is plugged in and charging.  When I remove the cord, the game runs smoothly.  This issue has been also discussed by M47R1X.

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Y-U-B-V-and-Z-series/Y570-Why-do-games-run-better-off-my-battery...

However, even through browsing through all three pages of discussion and trying all proposed solutions, I still couldn't find how to get rid of this problem.  I probably think this is a GPU/Battery Problem as proposed by M47R1X, as the performance or fps fluctuates when the power plug is plugged in.  The solutions I've tried is tweaking the power settings on both on windows power functions and the lenovo energy management based on the afore mentioned discussion.  Downloaded the 275.33 nvidia driver and the inf to succesfully install.  Both methods provided little change, (the battery tweaks actually made it worse for GTA).  I hope we can succesfully resolve this problem and maybe get a proper solution.  I know that my computer is very capable of running GTA IV on my computer as I saw many videos of proof and reviews claiming to run high settings on gta iv on this computer.

Much help is appreciated, and maybe M47TR1X can also help me if he still has opinions.  Thanks, Eso

Fanfold Paper
Kirill

Re: Ideapad y570 Gaming Problems with laptop plugged IN

[ Edited ]

I have the same problem with ac power GPU "lagging"

here are screenshot from afterburner

1 - "high perfomance" on battery

2 - "high perfomance" on ac

3 - "energystar" on ac

GTA 4. medium settings. fullscreen.

win7 x64 ultimate

y570 i7 4gb gt555

latest BIOS installed

latest energy management

275.33 from laptopvideo on screenshot

trying different drivers from laptopvideo (with their *.inf enabling max perfomance power settings)

(clean install)

here are list of tested drivers atm

default lenovo driver - lagging some more

275.33 - screenshot

280.19 - gta didnt launched

will add more screenshots after tests with different drivers, but the problem is in the energy management of notebook. will make some tests with lenovo EM uninstalled (maybe that will fix prob)

Fanfold Paper
Kirill

[ Edited ]

I found that **bleep** problem

dont know how it will look in english (have russian version), but i hope that screenshots will help you

so as i said earlier - it's Lenovo EM problem. Hope that will be fixed later

Serial Port
M47R1X

[ Edited ]

Woop woop! I followed the best I could and with a little more guided trial and error, I determined from the info given by The Magnificent Kirill (I added that part) what the issue was!

Fix for Y570 GPU issues

Smart power-saving hard disk is what seems to mess it up. I left the Smart power-saving CPU checked and the game ran just fine. So it seems that our pals at Lenovo have an update due, LOL. Whatever the case, it works perfectly fine without the HDD power saving. Thanks to Kiririll, Esoteric, Duck3, Defjam, and yigit for all of the help!

Cleo_Lenovo
Topics: 78
Kudos: 255
Solutions: 136

[ Edited ]

M47R1X,

What's the default setting? Were they both checked by default? What if you uncheck the Smart Power-saving CPU?

Thanks to Kirill and everyone right here sharing your solution. :smileyhappy:

Cleo

WW Social Media
T61, T410, x240, Z500, Flex 14

Important Note: If you need help, post your question in the forum, and include your system type, model number and OS. Do not post your serial number.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!
How to send a private message? --> Check out this article.

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español
Fanfold Paper
Kirill

At Your service =)

Maybe on next weekend i will make full detailed tests with different drivers and settings. With perfomance screenshots and etc.

Serial Port
M47R1X

They had both defaulted to "Enabled", if I remember correctly, and unchecking the Smart Power-saving CPU did absolutely nothing. I have been using it for gaming since with only smart power-saving hard disk UNCHECKED, and it works just fine. Whatever the issue is, it's in there. Thanks again Kirill, and the full benchmarks would be a great help to anyone!

Fanfold Paper
amittena

Hello, I purchased my Y570 a week ago, and I recently downloaded GTA IV and experienced the stuttering problems. I updated my graphics drivers to the stable 275.33, used the energy settings you stated, and even lowered the settings, however i am still experiencing this problem.. I can run the game smoothly with no stuttering on the battery, but with the ac adapter the game begins to stutter and gets choppy. I played with the settings just like you did, and it seemed that for a while, energy star was smooth, but after a while it resumed the stuttering and choppiness. Can anyone provide a suggestion!!!

Fanfold Paper
amittena

and another person i talked to via youtube comments stated that he had the same problem and he sent it back to lenovo for testing which is currently being conducted
Fanfold Paper
amittena

Lenovo Y570: Game runs smoothly on battery; Choppy on AC Adapter

Hello, I recently bought a Lenovo Y570 (last week to be exact), and I am experiencing stuttering during my games (mostly GTA IV). I do realise that GTA IV has stuttering problems and fps drops but this is different. I updated my drivers to 275.33, played with energy settings, and even reduced the settings on the game - Yet they have no effect on the stuttering. When i remove the ac adapter from the laptop, though, all of a sudden it becomes fully smooth and playable. I seriously am at a loss on what to do. My dad just bought this laptop and it arrived less than 6 days ago. I don't know if its the fault of the AC Adapter, the energy management program by Lenovo, or a GPU problem. Should i send it back? Or is it just a simple software problem that i can fix.

Yes, I did look at this thread ( http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Y-U-B-V-and-Z-series/Y570-Why-do-games-run-better-off-my-battery... )

and i followed what it said. It did help at the beginning for about 10 minutes, but then it resumed the stuttering. I am not sure if it was because i was using the default settings for Energy Star/Super Energy saver (or watever its called), or if it was because of the changes I made in the Smart Power Saving tab.