Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Serial Port
CrabMan

Re: Y570 - Why do games run better off my battery and choppy when its plugged in?

Removing Lenovo Energy Management doesn't change anything for me.
Paper Tape
nytrostyle

Re: Y570 - Why do games run better off my battery and choppy when its plugged in?

If you use Lenovo Power Management and set the CPU to max 99% (to disable turbo boost and fix the lag when plugged in), most likely it will be restored back to 100%. So the solution is to remove completely lenovo power and let windows to manage power profiles (still need to set max cpu to 99% instead of 100%).

Paper Tape
myalias101

[ Edited ]

Just a FYI from another owner of a y570.

I have the same problem with peformance degrading, and stuttering, when gaming.

In my case its Skyrim.

I called Tech support and after they asked me some probing questions like "Does the laptop meet the specs for the game" (which makes 0 sense since it runs fine without the AC plugged in) they have asked me to send the laptop, that I just bought, back in to them for testing.

I'm not happy.

It took them forever to ship the thing.

It didnt come with an OS DVD or any type of recovery SW (no, not even on the extended HD). I asked them for the DVD and they told me they would send one out weeks ago.

And now the machine is messed and I have to send it back in. So, it can depreciate somwhere else I suppose.

Oh, and back on topic. I did remove the energy mangment SW and it does/did improve the performance but its still doesnt act as well as it does running on just battery.

In any case, I will post the results in a couple weeks when I get the laptop back.

Punch Card
Xanek

Does anyone have a solution yet to this problem?

Punch Card
surged

How can a product go for sale with such a big issue? Never buying Lenovo again.

Oh and no. It get's choppy when plugged in because the CPU tries to run at a higher speed which along with the heat produced by the GPU brings the cpu up to 100 celsius at which point it downclocks and spikes up and down.
Paper Tape
myalias101

[ Edited ]

I think the last guy is right. I installed FRAPS to monitor the frames per second and with the battery it falls to about 32 FPS and with the AC it goes up to 40 but then you get the lockups.

On a side note. I sent back the laptop today for them to look at.

They will send you a FedEx label to return it.. but guess what? FedEx wont guarantee they wont break it unless you buy one of their "laptop boxes"... so, you can add a hidden fee of $15 if you want to send the laptop back for them to look at.

I think im just going to ask for a refund.

*Edit: I called and asked for a refund. This is unacceptale. They said I couldn't get a refund until they techs send back the laptop to me after they fix it.  Because I had already sent it in. My fault for sure. Should of just asked for a refund to begin with. Never buying Lenovo again.

Oh, and i STILL have not received the OS DVD thaty have now TWICE promised to send me. Not that im going to need it because im returing the laptop as soon as it comes back from the techs.. but its just a buyer beware. Don't buy Lenovo.

Punch Card
Xanek

So is there anyway to play higher-end games without turbo boost making the game all sporadic because is it messing up the graphics? Or is this s.o.l.
Paper Tape
myalias101

[ Edited ]

If it is indeed a heat issue, i think 'you' are S.O.L.

At least it's nothing you can fix yourself.

I had sent my in for them to 'fix'.

Ill tell you the results of that when it comes back. They said it was a 7 day turnaround. Which means I should get it back this week but if anything, Lenovo has been full of lip service thus far so, I wouldn't count on it.

My real question is, are all of this line of laptops effected?

Because, let's be honest, 95% of the people who are going to have this problem are going to think the game is the problem. I did at first but then after noting when the lockups happend, it didn't make sense.

Games do this exact same thing for various other reasons. And 90% of the time it would be the game, and not the laptop. So, people having this problem will most likely chalk it up to the game and wait for a patch, or just assume the laptop can't run the game.

So, isn't it possible this is a widespread problem that is conveniently swept under the rug due the symptoms of it being attributed by most people to anything but the laptop?

And just a FYI, i bought a refurb direct from Lenovo. I wonder if my laptop was returned long ago for the same reason and they just shined it up and resold it hoping it would fall into hands of someone who wouldn't know any better.

Sad.

Fanfold Paper
xavier_vista

ust got mine few days ago and played some games didnt have the issue till i played l.a. noire. so i followed some suggestions here and now my games working fine.

hat worked for me is I put the thermal management to standard (been using efficient thermal dissipation) and i guess that did the trick.

Paper Tape
myalias101

[ Edited ]

So,

I got the laptop back today and it ran better.

But...

Its because they downclocked something. I suspect on the motherboard since they is what they claimed they replaced.

The computer did run better but still stuttered once it heated up.. just not to the degree it initally had.

When i sent it in, i had happened to record some benchmarks before hand. So, i know im not imagining it when i say..

Before I sent it in, FPS was around 45-50 with AC and about 30-40 on the battery. (Skyrim, High Settings).

After they replaced the motherboard, 30-35 on AC and 25-35 on battery.

So, im returning it.. but another buyer beware bit of info.

They tried to tell me the only way i could get a full refund is if i used that refund money to buy another one of their laptops.

Otherwise, i could only get a partial refund.

Because, they said, it was over the 21 days grace period they allow for purchases.

Basically, they tried to punish me for not figuring out they sent me a lemon in 21 days.

Horrible horrible horrible customer service.

Eventually they did say I could get a full refund though after some questions on their policies.

and on a "who cares now?" side note.. i asked them 3 times to send me a DVD with the OS on it.. and they told me each time they would send it and they never did.

I will never by Lenovo again.