Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Punch Card
Pito

Re: Y570 - Why do games run better off my battery and choppy when its plugged in?

I'm pretty sure it's not because the laptop is overheating, in the mean-time why don't you use the throttlestop fix to temporarily fix the problem.

Fanfold Paper
drdoodoo

Re: Y570 - Why do games run better off my battery and choppy when its plugged in?

Throttlestop did not work for me.
Fanfold Paper
drdoodoo

I will explain why I think this is a overheating problem, or a faulty software component that thinks the laptop is overheating.

Stopping CPU throttling did not work in my case. I tried using throttlestop to stop throttling and also tried to stop throttling by limiting the CPU to 99%. Games kept stuttering.

So I played with the advanced power settings, lowering the max CPU power by a percent from 100-85%. Games stuttered with every percent change but took longer to start stuttering. When i tested ~89% the stuttering almost went away but not quite. I finally settled on 85% (which i found on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JHBHaAkQRo)

The above is why I feel that overheating is causing the problem in my case.
Punch Card
Pito

[ Edited ]

Does the stuttering start as soon as you start gaming or does it work well for a while and start stuttering later? Because if it starts as soon as you run the game then it can't possibly because of overheating because it wouldn't have overheated yet. I had stuttering as soon as I started gaming but I found two fixes for it:

-Throttlestop.

-Unticking the two settings in Lenovo energy management.

Are you sure you are using Throttlestop correctly? Tick 'Disable Turbo' then click 'turn on' at the bottom right hand corner and minimise it and then start gaming.

802.11n
velenoso666

[ Edited ]

@Pito, I didn't say it was an update, but rather pointed out we did get updates as soon as we fired up our laptop for the first time. I think it might be Windows 7 conflicting with the switchable graphics software or a power saving program with the switchable graphics software. But if you have the right drivers for Nvidia and the right setting it negates this conflict. It can't be Lenovo energy management because when I tried different drivers for the Nvidia I got that stuttering and I had already deleted the Lenovo energy management for some time.

Read the NOTE in the box about half down the page "Intel® generic graphics drivers from the Intel website do not support Switchable Graphics on laptops. Drivers supplied by the laptop computer manufacturer must be used." So Lenovo writes the software to enable the Switchable Graphics, I've had a HP laptop with Switchable Graphics and it had this stuttering which sucked as well, the only way I was able to stop the stuttering so as to play games was to go into bios and set the Switchable Graphics to static from dynamic.

drdoodoo wrote:
The above is why I feel that overheating is causing the problem in my case.

Can you run a simple test for us,

1) take note of the time then start a game

2) when the stuttering starts get out of the game again taking note of the time

3) go into event veiwer ---.windows log ---> systems and see if you have an event logged (a warning) that corresponds with the time you started playing. 

4) if there is an entry like "event 37". can you tell us what the event number is and what it says.

If it's over heating is might tell us there.

Punch Card
Pito

This is frustrating, my games don't want to stutter anymore. It's like when I want it to stutter it doesn't and when I don't want it to stutter it does. Since it is not stuttering I can't try the event viewer thing just yet, hopefully it was start stuttering soon. I will have to try it out tomorrow because it is getting really late here, good night everyone. :smileyvery-happy:

Fanfold Paper
drdoodoo

I do notice games stutter less with trottlestop on but they still stutter often enough to be frustrating.

I get this warning regardless of whether i use throttlestop or not:

The speed of processor 5 in group 0 is being limited by system firmware. The processor has been in this reduced performance state for 7 seconds since the last report.

I get this warning for all 8 cores.  Throttlestop says my cpu is running at 85C during gameplay.  No cores go over 85 ever.  85 is too round a number to be a coincidence. The laptop is throttling because of excess heat at the 85C mark.

When I stop CPU at 85%, the temps in throttlestop max out at 74C and the cores report different temps.  No stuttering.  Im 100% convinced this is an overheating issue.

802.11n
velenoso666

drdoodoo wrote:

I get this warning regardless of whether i use throttlestop or not:

The speed of processor 5 in group 0 is being limited by system firmware. The processor has been in this reduced performance state for 7 seconds since the last report.

I get this warning for all 8 cores.  

This is the cause of everyones game play being shyt, until lenovo finds out what's causing this, the problem won't go away by itself. 

How can you play games when the stupid CPU is limiting power to each core in a loop over and over again!

Punch Card
Pito

How about we start a new topic for the error message "The speed of processor # in group # is being limited by system firmware. The processor has been in this reduced performance state for 71 seconds since the last report." 

I really doubt this, but could they not be replying because this topic is set as 'solved'? 

Fanfold Paper
drdoodoo

Y570 throttling cores which makes games stutter

I get this warning in the system logs regardless of whether i use throttlestop or not:

Why are our laptops throttling the CPU when playing games?  The stuttering makes games unplayable and is frustrating.