Support in other languages: 
Mark_Lenovo
Topics: 410
Kudos: 1,310
Solutions: 283

Re: Y570 - Why do games run better off my battery and choppy when its plugged in?

[ Edited ]

Are we still talking about the same issue that started this thread?  Seems like some common symptoms but a lot of different tweeks to power management settings being tried and reported with various results.

Kirill had a solution that seemed to work for some members in the discussion, so what is different for those that it didn't work for?  

Are you only still noticing the chopiness only when on AC power?

Does it happen right away or after a few mins?

If only on AC and after a few mins, then perhaps you are seeing throttling on the CPU and GPU due to high temps, and we have that issue being discussed on this thread.

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Y-U-B-V-and-Z-series/y570-Overheating/td-p/508621

Jamez has escalated that to engineering already.

If you could check you system temps when the choppy video is noted, and if it is associated with CPU or GPU temps above 90C, then you may want to continue the discuss on the overheating thread.

If high temps are not the issue, maybe we need to start a new thread, redefine the symptoms clearly and specifically exclude the potential causes of high temps, or the power management settings noted in the solution on this thread.

Ideally, we'd like to solve each discussion in the forum, so when discussion continues past the solution, it usually means that we have multiple issues / causes that are producing similar appearing symptoms and they are getting lumped together in the discussion.

Shortyg83, 

Thanks for your summary post on page 6. 

Thanks,

Mark  

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
www.twitter.com/lenovoforums
www.facebook.com/lenovo

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

Serial Port
M47R1X

Re: Y570 - Why do games run better off my battery and choppy when its plugged in?

Well nearly all stuttering is gone for me, thanks to Kiririll. It happens every now and again, but nowhere near as bad as it was. I'll try shorty's solution later.

Punch Card
geo_lion03

i updated the video card to the last driver , from nvidia  site , and i updated the energy management , from lenovo , and now games are runing fluently , do a clean instalation of the drivers(i also cleaned registry  after uninstaling the drivers with a software program). hope that this help others :smileyhappy:

Punch Card
geo_lion03

and what i forgot to tell is that energy management must be set to balanced , otherwise the game will be a bit choppy. 

Paper Tape
nytrostyle

[ Edited ]

Hello, I FOUND THE SOLUTION :smileyhappy:

It has nothing to do with the GPU or power management. The cause is intel Turbo boost, that probably works only on AC mode. I have the i7 model with 2.2GHz and with turbo boost it fluctuates up to 3GHz and from there the lag in games.

The solution is to set the max processor state in Power Management to 99% instead of 100%. That would make the processor work at its max native frequency without turbo boost. Or if you have any option in bios to disable it.

Punch Card
Xanek

[ Edited ]

Doing that does nothing to mine, still makes my GPU fluctuate.

Though you are right about the turbo boost, as it does make it start to fluctuate whenever it is running on High performance while turbo boosting

Punch Card
surged

What's the point of a dedicated GPU if it works 10% of the time.
Punch Card
Xanek

[ Edited ]

I mean it works fairly well if you just start up with 4 cores 7 threads via msconfig

though you will not be getting any turbo boost

Though the GPU temperature still gets pretty hot without a cooling pad which is bad. And my cooling pad is only cooling off about 4 degrees celcius off of a 86 celcius

Serial Port
CrabMan

Hi, guys. I have quite an opposite problem. My notebook runs great when plugged in, but is super choppy and laggy when powered from battery.

1 - Running from battery, not plugged in. Awful fps, gpu throttling.

2 - Plugged in, but battery almost charged and energym anagement set to save battery lifetime (which means it runs off battery until it is only 50% charged). Same awful performance.

3 - Runs plugged in, charging battery back to 100%, great performance, twice more FPS, no throttling.

Serial Port
M47R1X

I'm thinking this is entirely the fault of the Lenovo Energy Management. Is there a way to disable it or something?

Kiririll's fix still works for me most of the time, but every now and then it acts up.