Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
wfelten

Y580 DOA

[ Edited ]

I'm a bit shocked at the experience I just had so I figured I would post it here, if nothing else so maybe someone at LeNovo can see just how bad their service department is.  Sadly, this will be my first and last post.  I ordered a fully upgraded Y580 in the US and received shipment of it today.  It was DOA-- the computer hangs on powerup saying it cannot find a device to boot from. I called up lenovo support, and spoke to a polite gentleman who took my details and issued me a service number.  He then said he was going to transfer me over to another department where they could process an exchange.  I waited on hold, then an automated system starting bombarding me with offers for free $25 gas cards and supermarket gift cards.  A minute later I was disconnected. I tried calling back the number I had been given in case of disconnect, and got the same supermarket gas card spiel as before.  Bewildered, I called back the main lenovo support number and spoke with a different gentleman.  It turns out the number I was given was wrong.  Anyways, this second guy transferred me over to the correct department, but while I was entering in the case number I was disconnected.  I tried calling back the new number I had been given in case of disconnect but there was no answer.  I tried calling multiple times with no success. So back to the main LeNovo support center I go, and as fortune would have it I was connected to the same person I spoke to on my second call.  He confirmed that I had called the correct number, was very apologetic, and was surprised that it wasn't working.  He tried transferring me directly, but was unable to do so.  I was given a third number to try, which he said was actually the sales department. I was told that while sales wasn't the right department  they should at least be able to help me, or at least transfer me to someone who could.  Not wanting to deal with sales, I tried the other number again (866-428-4465), and after two more failed attempts (no answer) it went through.

At this point I had wasted an hour and a half of my life trying to get service on a brand new DOA laptop.  When I finally got through to somebody who could help me, I told her if they could not overnight a replacement machine then I would be returning the computer.  She said they could not, so back the computer goes.  Having done business virtually all of your competitors in the past I can say with certainty that I have never seen such bad customer support.

Fanfold Paper
padjiwib

Re: Y580 DOA

You are eligible for a replacement DOA unit within 21 days after you receive your computer. Please see also my story:

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Y-U-V-and-Z-series/Y480-DOA-TWICE-CUSTOMER-SERVICE-THE-WORST/td-...

Paper Tape
wfelten

Never accept a repair on a brand new DOA laptop.  That's like paying full price for a facotry refurbished laptop.  It sounds like I made the right choice by returning it.

Punch Card
upbull340

[ Edited ]

Some company's don't undestand that build quality and customer service drives future sales. Your post has me wondering how long my y580 will last if it ever ships. And I was planning on using it as a desktop replacement for my wife. Maybe I need to rethink this!

What's DOS?
XanALaOM00

Wow... I just received my lenovo Y580 4 days ago Dead on arrival. The computers heat sync fans wont even turn on. I get the DVD tray to turn on, the backlit keyboard comes on... but then there are no fans, no display (screen remains black) no sounds coming from the laptop at all; it doesn't even get far enough for BIOS beeps or anything just a dead laptop. I can already tell that I am in for a nightmare of customer service... 2 to 5 days just to get a "Senior Representative" to talk to me about getting a replacement.. is this a Joke? this is by far the worst customer service I have ever received from a tech based company, especially given that the device was not just defective; it is defective as a WHOLE; cannot even get this thing to post upon first boot and then given the treatment I am given is pretty god awful. Had I known this was how this company treats their customers I wouldn't have bought from them; period. Good luck to all those that have the same issues; if you haven't yet ordered your Lenovo product; know this and know this well: This company doesn't care about you; it might have some value based computers with a big name like IBM behind it but underneath that sheep skin is a wolf that will take your money and is glad to take you for a ride if you happen to receive a faulty product regardless of how bad the symptoms are. have a great day.