Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Ctrl-Alt-Del
rob888

Z560 BIOS no EC update

New z560 BIOS v.2.11 with the fan problem.

Updated to BIOS v.2.15 win7 64bit, BIOS updated but EC did not.

Tryed to update it again but get error Insydflash cannot load driver.

Using run as administrator.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
rob888

Re: Z560 BIOS no EC update

My new z560 is unusable, this non-update to EC makes the laptop freeze after bootup.

Pressing the power button to reboot is only thing i can do.

Retired Guru
Duck3

Try this:
Unplug, remove battery, hold power button down
for 15 seconds.
Replace battery, replug, boot into bios. (F2 key at Lenovo screen.)
Load Default settings, Save and Exit.

Any change?
Ctrl-Alt-Del
rob888

Hi Duck3

Tryed that:

First time got all white BIOS screen with menu at bottom

Second time usual BIOS screen, EC still v2.11, then freeze.

This is first time of freeze at BIOS, usually can load Safe Mode then freeze after different periods

of time, max of about 2 minutes.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
rob888

Sometimes can boot and fan runs at full, then laptop does not freeze.

Noisey fan does not worry me, if i can get a bios without the fan fix

that would be great.

Retired Guru
Duck3

[ Edited ]

Do you remember which bios version you had prior
to the update?

I had a Z560 and had to update to 2.03 before 2.15.

Text from instructions:
"Notice: If BIOS version of the machine is older than 29CN26WW (V2.03) (not included),

29CN26WW (V2.03) BIOS must be flashed at first before updating to 29CN38WW (V2.15)

or other latest ones."

I have sent you a PM.

Community Moderator
zoltanthegypsy

[ Edited ]

Hi rob888,

I don't have a Z560 but that's the same BIOS that my little sister's G560 uses.  (even if it wasn't, it has the same issue I'm describing here).

For some unforunate reason Lenovo is making two different builds of that BIOS available:  one with the EC update, and one without.  The real crime is that they both have the same file name.  NOT GOOD.  The file sizes are different, but the filenames are the same: NIWEx215_X64.exe.

I've checked this using both the G560 and Z560 links.  I haven't checked the 32 bit version, just the 64.

The one available from support.lenovo.com is the "without" version.  Try downloading via consumersupport.lenovo.com and see if that gets you going.

[edit] BELAY THAT!  My mistake.  Both Z560 downloads are the smaller file.  The _G_560 download via consumersupport is the larger file that includes the EC update.  All the filenames are the same.  All the small files have the same byte count.  I'm pretty well convinced that they are all the same BIOS, but I can't test it.  There's a chance that the G560 BIOS doesn't apply to your machine - but it looks like it does.

Anyone confirm or deny?

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ... GeezBlog

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Ctrl-Alt-Del
rob888

Duck3 it was 2.11, would like to go back to that. Looked for C:\bios and temp folders

could not find it.

Most info is in my first post to this thread. Are tech aware of this problem ?

Ctrl-Alt-Del
rob888

Now having trouble booting, the BIOS screen does not appear for 2-3 trys.

Lights flash and it shuts down 2-3 times till BIOS screen appears.

Think it faulty hardware, faulty BIOS chip ?

Because:

BIOS v2.15 did not update EC from v2.11.

Fan sometimes runs at full when CPU is idleing.

so my EC fan control is not working.

In Linux see error:

ideapad_laptop: timeout in read_ec_cmd

Community Moderator
zoltanthegypsy

Your BIOS update didn't update the EC because that download doesn't have the EC firmware in it.  I've asked on the back channels why Lenovo is putting incomplete firmware out there, but don't have an answer yet.

You may very well have bad hardware based on your sypmtoms, but the missing EC update doesn't mean anything other than an incomplete BIOS file.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ... GeezBlog

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество