Support in other languages: 
What's DOS?
govtdog

Z575 - Thinking about buying one. Is this laptop any good or crap?

I am replacing a failed V570 which I returned and have a limited budget.

I found a new Z575 with AMD A-Series A8-3500M(1.5GHz) 15.6" 8GB Memory DDR3 1333 750GB HDD 5400rpm DVD±R/RW AMD Radeon HD 6620G which I can get for $520 delivered from a reputable online dealer.

Can't find any info on this notebook though and wonder if it is any good or an inexpensive piece of junk?

Thanks for any help and experience you can offer with this laptop.

Punch Card
ElectricHead

Re: Z575 - Thinking about buying one. Is this laptop any good or crap?

[ Edited ]

It depends what you want it for, I guess. Generally the specs look decent but I don't know whether that's a good price or not as I don't know much a dollar gets you.

Having said this, I was personally quite disappointed with the performance offered by AMD-based laptops when I was hunting for one. I've always bought AMD components/systems because the price/performance ratio is often slightly better at the low-mid range, but I found benchmark performance in comparison to Intel-based laptops at a given price point suprisingly poor, particularly for the CPU. On the flipside, the graphics are probably superior to an integrated intel chipset so it's swings and roundabouts. I would guess that it'll be better for mid-level games than an equivalent Intel/IGP platform at the expense of calculating power.

What's DOS?
govtdog

Thanks for the feedback.

He doesn't play any games online but watches a ton of video content online and otherwise will just be using the laptop for web browsing, social media and using MS Office apps to do his homework.

Punch Card
ElectricHead

[ Edited ]

It should be more than powerful enough for those tasks with some room to do more on it further down the line.

To put it into context, my Z570 is very similar spec, albeit with a somewhat better CPU and graphics, but I'll be using this for moderately intensive engineering applications (both calculations and graphics) and frankly it's far better at playing games than I need, quite pleasantly surprised. The hard 750GB hard drive and 8GB ram is obscene, but it's all good to have.

I still can't comment on value, sadly, but I suspect the only way you'll "improve" it at a similar price is to trade a better processor for less graphics, which isn't really necessary here. That'll be fine.